cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay charged me shipping costs

I sold an item and I had the buyer pay shipping.   

I then bought a label.

Now for some reason ebay is charging me what the buyer paid in shipping. 

Why?

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: ebay charged me shipping costs

Well it doesn't match.

I tried contacting support but everything says not available.

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

What mail service did you use?

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

They used UPS.

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

Looks like u made $25.00, Just saying, not sure.

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

It will never match.  Ebay gets discounted rates that aren't calculated into the listing but are applied to the cost of the label.  You can elect to pass on the discount in preferences but it will still be off a little. 

Message 20 of 31
latest reply

@releasethekraken_1 wrote:

@fern*wood wrote:

They used UPS.

Okay, I wondered about that from above, but the listings show USPS.  Anyway, if you print a label for UPS, then it is truly an estimate and may not be the actual postage cost.  UPS regularly adds on additional fees which shows up later when you are billed.   USPS is not like that.

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

So apparently nobody here understands your issue. LoL... Im not sure how better it can be explained, but I am having the same problem. I use rollo ship manager to print my labels through Ebay, but I charge the buyer a flat-rate for shipping based on what I know will be the average cost for a specific item, but Ebay is charging the customer the shipping rate I set, but they are also charging me for their label when I print my own labels. If you have found a solution please let me know. If not I am going to call them tomorrow.

Message 22 of 31
latest reply

There is no problem. Whenever a seller purchases a shipping label through eBay, they are always charged for that label.

The flat-rate money that the buyer paid for shipping goes into your account. The buyer pays for shipping indirectly, through you.  There is only one payment directly for shipping, and it's paid by the seller.

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

I had the exact same problem and no one here seems to understand what you're saying.  It was the first time I was using the new shipping / use 'your pending payouts' to pay for postage.  It just showed me the amount the buyer paid, and then a button to 'set up payments'.  I clicked that, and it immediately PURCHASED postage and didn't let me review box size, shipping method, etc.  (buyer selected USPS priority mail)

So two things I found out:

1.  Click 'my package is above the size limit' and you'll be given the option to pick a different box size (in my case a SMALLER box that is way below the size limit, despite what the link says

2.  There's a bug in Ebay's system which I was able to replicate on the phone with a rep:  If you toggle between paying for postage from 'your pending payouts' to 'paypal', the BUTTON will always say 'Set up Payments'.  Even if you switch BACK to 'your pending payouts.  What the button should say is 'Purchase Postage' when you use 'your pending payouts'.  

I'm not sure if this bug only happens the first time you use the new system (which requires Paypal account to be linked again) or if it will happen on every future shipment.  But I haven't shipped in many months, so maybe this interface cluster f*#( is a one-time thing.  

Even better the rep says it takes up to 21 days to refund the voided incorrect label...even though Ebay's interface designers have obviously screwed up and never displayed a button to 'purchase postage'.

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

This is the only person in this post that understands the question and I'm asking myself the same question too. Why do I get charged for a shipping label when the buyer is paying for the shipping? Now I know this question was posted before Ebay shifted over to their new system, but I think I've figured this out.

To actual answer this, the money you get paid is added to the order total of what you get. In the transaction section, you can see with the image I've provided,Screen_Shot_2021-09-10_at_1_35_51_PM-2.png it breaks down the total of your item that you sold it for, the fees that Ebay charges and then the net proceeds you receive after the fees have been deducted. What Ebay doesn't do or should at least update to this page, is show the added funds from the shipping you receive from the buyer (which is strange to see when you go from the amount you sold your item for to suddenly an increased total earnings. Example sold an item for $250 and suddenly I have $284.09. That extra $34.09 added on to it was the shipping cost the buyer paid)  and also show how much is subtracted from the shipping label. 

With not including the the shipping numbers on this transaction page for said item sold, it does create this confusion in figuring out how much money you received and how much in total fees you paid. 

Ebay should fix this issue and have everything be shown on one page (show your work like in math class) and not be separated so people who are new to this or haven't used this platform in awhile, can better understand this process

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

This is what I've been trying to figure out ever since eBay rolled out this managed payments thing. When it was PayPal, you recieved the payment for not only the item, but the shipping cost the buyer paid too. With managed payments, I have noticed that even when the buyer pays shipping on my listings, I only get the amount the buyer pays for the item but the shipping paid DOES NOT reflect in the payment summary. It just disappears. So when I purchase the label, it takes it out of the cost of item the buyer paid (i.e. my pending payouts OR PayPal) but not what the buyer paid in shipping. WHERE DOES THE MONEY THAT THE BUYER PAID FOR SHIPPING GO? And before anyone goes and looks at my account / listings, I'm not questioning the listings of mine that have free shipping on them, I'm questioning the ones that I charge calculated shipping on based on the size / weight of package. 

Why next to no one sees or understands what I'm seeing is beyond me. Nowhere does it reflect where the label cost was taken out of the shipping cost the buyer paid. It literally shows it taking that cost out of what I got for the item only, after all fees are taken out...as IF it was a listing that had free shipping on it. Except it didn't. So what's the point of charging shipping at all if the postage the buyer pays doesn't reflect in the payment source for the shipping label? THAT'S WHAT I WANT TO KNOW.

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

Zombie thread

download.jpg

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 27 of 31
latest reply

@whitelightning_wolf wrote:

This is what I've been trying to figure out ever since eBay rolled out this managed payments thing. When it was PayPal, you recieved the payment for not only the item, but the shipping cost the buyer paid too. With managed payments, I have noticed that even when the buyer pays shipping on my listings, I only get the amount the buyer pays for the item but the shipping paid DOES NOT reflect in the payment summary. It just disappears.

Necro thread.

But just to try to make this clear (although it should be obvious): eBay is NOT keeping the shipping money. You receive an amount that is less than price+shipping because, under Managed Payments, eBay takes the Final Value Fee for the sale DIRECTLY FROM EACH SALE, instead of sending you an invoice for all of your FVFs at the end of the month.

Under PayPal, for a $100 sale with $10 shipping, you saw ($110 - 2.9% PayPal fee), or about $107 deposited into your PayPal account. eBay would bill you for their 10% fee ($11) at the end of the month.

Under Managed Payments, you would see ($110 - 12.55% eBay fee), or about $97 deposited into your bank account, and you would owe nothing more. Your net after ALL fees would be virtually identical.

These incessant posts about "why am I paying for shipping", and "no one understands the question", are clear proof that you had no idea what your fees were before, and you haven't bothered to learn how MP works. This is not rocket science. eBay is NOT keeping the money that the buyer paid for shipping; they're just taking their fee sooner.

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

@kinggoddard wrote:

Oh so the label I paid for isn't actually what it costs to ship my item?

UPS AND FedEx rates displayed on eBay when you buy the label, are not always correct. Both FedEx and UPS have ways to fee a shipper to death. Not long ago I sent an item that was 48#'s through UPS. The weight and dimensions were 100% accurate and the label ended up costing 30% more than I was initially charged. 

If you are going to use either of the above carriers, I would suggest having your own account with the carrier or buying the label someplace else, NOT through eBay. Both of these have fees and rules that cause shipping to cost more, and eBay's calculator does NOT calculate those costs. Hence, why you paid a fair bit more for the label.

USPS are the only labels I will buy through eBay for US shipments. Anything else is bought elsewhere. Be it international shipping, or FedEx/UPS.

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

@kinggoddard wrote:

Thanks for everyone responding.  Let me be clear.  My shipping label cost me less than what the buyer paid.  

I calculated weight and size and everything exactly and put my UPS label on the box.

Now on my invoice from ebay it is nearly identical price Ebay is charging what the buyer paid me for shipping. 

Am I missing something here?  This doesn't seem right.

I say if making too much money feels wrong to you then you should charge less so you can work for a lower wage but... Before you do, keep in mind you will get frivolous returns and in some cases outright theft so this "too much money" you're earning now may just be funds you may wish to hold on to so as to cover the later costs?
Or give it back, send the buyer a $20 in the mail?

Heck, what do I know...

Message 30 of 31
latest reply