cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay Commercials?

Hi, ebayers. Where are the ebay commercials? I've seen great Etsy commercials, touching Amazon commercials, but NO ebay commercials. We need advertising to boost our sales!!

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: ebay Commercials?

I have randomly encountered Ebay Auto ads and less frequently ads for their luxury verification programs.  But I don't expect Ebay to push used and vintage sales as the CEO has stated that it is the luxury items as well as the trading card program based on their "vault" that is the future of Ebay.

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

Those touching Amazon commercials make me throw up in my mouth a little.

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

Do you know if eBay has advertised in the past?  Do you ever want to buy something on Etsy just because the ads are good?  Just wondering.

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

I have eBay's   latest commercials  and the focus  is on  hyping the  High in goods with carrying  the eBay Authentication  tags   as the main selling points   and   the Motors   Category  with  fit guarantee  .  The Current Ceo  isn't interested  pushing   the rest of ebay  a long with second market that got the company to the mountain top. 

Message 20 of 31
latest reply

Well the CEO is foolish  o think luxury item's  and trading  card program  based on their   vault  is the future  of this site ,which is depending on a Minority  Buyers  that have money  spend for those items .    

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

Do you think TV advertising really makes a difference. It seems like being seen on  internet searches would far outweigh tv ads. 

Message 22 of 31
latest reply

Jokes on you. eBay wants you to pay for offsite ads.

The clowns running this 'company' have no idea what they're doing.

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

@hartungcards wrote:

Do you ever want to buy something on Etsy just because the ads are good?  Just wondering.

Advertising & public relations communicates to a potential buyer that their business is desired, most likely valued & appreciated.

Why would you be overly interested in ebay, a site that seems not to make much of an effort to recruit you as a buyer ?

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

When your company's primary game plan on increasing revenue is how to extract more money from sellers, you don't need to run commercials targeting buyers.

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

ebay DOES spend money on marketing. But only to attract "enthusiast buyers" This is very targeted marketing---such as setting up a booth at a Sneaker Convention, or getting a press release treated as an article in a High End Watch collecting publication.

A Holiday Marketing Campaign, on the other hand, is a very broad based approach to bring in a wide range of buyers, and maybe only a small percentage of those buyers will meet ebay's "Enthusiast Buyer" criteria.

So, while a successful holiday marketing campaign might benefit many of us as sellers (because many of our sales are to NON-enthusiast buyers), it will not meet ebay's overarching goal of expanding its Enthusiast Buyer base, which is the only buyer base ebay is really willing to spend money to attract.

So, if my merchandise is not the sort of stuff enthusiast buyers are looking for, then it is up to me to do my own Holiday Marketing, and not look to the platform to help me. 

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

Not that it is useful at all to this thread, so apologies in advance, but my wife LOVES the Etsy 'Mission Impossible' ads. 

Message 27 of 31
latest reply

Ebay's current   Commercial  Marketing Campaign of  Luxury  items & High priced trading Cards  to  Minority  group  of  wreathy  buyers  make's no since  and For  the  Current  Ceo  to believe it's  going to be Ebay's full time bread & butter  money maker is Nutty thinking !  when eBay's business model was and is the second market  sales  and what got it to the mountain. 

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

Nice proverb,  but a little off topic.

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

@carlmarxx wrote:

Ebay's current   Commercial  Marketing Campaign of  Luxury  items & High priced trading Cards  to  Minority  group  of  wreathy  buyers  make's no since  and For  the  Current  Ceo  to believe it's  going to be Ebay's full time bread & butter  money maker is Nutty thinking !  when eBay's business model was and is the second market  sales  and what got it to the mountain. 

eBay's venture into luxury items and trading cards is an expansion of an existing aspect of their business. Nothing eBay has done or said has ever suggested to me that eBay thinks it will be their "full time bread & butter".

When a company expands into a new area, they need to advertise that new area so people know it exists. Anyone old enough to have a computer already knows what eBay is and that they are a secondhand marketplace. But not everyone who knows about eBay knows about their luxury items or trading card vault or eBay Motors however. That is why eBay advertises those areas.

There seems to be this misconception around here that simply throwing money at "advertising" is going to increase sales and make eBay grow. The chair of eBay's board was the CEO of the GAP and the chair of Disney. The board includes one of the guys who ran Lyft and the former managing partner of Wellington. If they thought throwing money at advertising would fix eBay, eBay would be throwing money at advertising.

Message 30 of 31
latest reply