cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay to Announce Changes to Seller Performance Standards, Actually Customer Performance Standards

eBay to Announce Changes to Seller Performance Standards

When did businesses start demanding that their customers meet performance standards and it seems to be a trend.

Facebook and Twitter Google all demand that their customers meet their standards of truth even when that truth is a massive lie, propaganda.

The whole "mask" requirement is a demand for customer performance by many businesses even when and where they are no longer mandated.

Forget, "The Customer Is Always Right".

I get those occasional emails from places informing me that they have change the agreement, PayPal sent one recently and that is totally illegal because one party cannot change a two party agreement, but it sounds official.

They don't even ask that people check a box saying they agree anymore.

And, of course, there will be the USUAL "Nobody forces anyone to use them", in the NEW reality where not using them is like not using electricity or water.

They are the way people stay connected, know what is happening, and even order things and pay bills.

The people that are free of them are seen pushing their possessions in a shopping cart and most of them have a cell phone thanks to the government.

GPS may help people get to where they want to go, but it also tells the company where everybody is.

Even when they vote.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: eBay to Announce Changes to Seller Performance Standards, Actually Customer Performance Standard

This is kind of all over the place. 

A business decides what it wants to do that they feel is in their own best interests.

As long as it isn’t illegal (such as discrimination against race or gender) then they have that right.

Your choice is then to decide if you want to continue doing business with them.

Using Ebay, Facebook, Twitter is not a necessity like using water or electricity.

They are an extra. A choice.

If you can’t abide by the agreement you signed when you joined why should they allow you to stay?

That makes no sense.

Stick to the agreement you made or find another platform.

If keeping in touch, ordering things, or paying bills via certain sites is important to you then I’m sure you’ll figure out how to keep within the rules or find alternate methods.

Nobody has a “right” to use these businesses.

Patriotism…is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime. -Adlai Stevenson
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Re: eBay to Announce Changes to Seller Performance Standards, Actually Customer Performance Standard

When did businesses start demanding that their customers meet performance standards and it seems to be a trend.

In my experience which started in the mid-1970's it seems like they had been demanding it long before that.

It generally went like this, do the amount of business we require or pay a financial penalty, fail to perform as expected and your account will be closed.

Sounds a lot like what eBay does doesn't it?

There is a huge difference between business "customers" and consumers who can do just about anything and get away with it because few businesses can survive without consumers but can do just fine without a bunch of their business "customers".

When I was in the wholesale/distribution business in the 80's, culling of accounts was pretty common.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

i work at a plain old night watchman job and get job evaluations and have to meet performance standards.  that is as it should be.  last thing we need is a slacker sleeping in the hallway when they need to be alert.

as for the homeless folks with cell phones - how you going to find a job if you don't have anywhere for ppl to call you or interview you online?  you know how easy it is the loose the roof over your head.  oh, pray that you never find out.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

It's not illegal for paypal to change the conditions of their UA, I suspect a sufficient notice of the changes are needed, and then you consent to those changes by continuing to use their services. What is the point of your post?

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I don't really see where you talk about ebay except in the title. 

Comparing these things to electric and water is absurd. People could die with out electric or water in some cases. I'm not sure anyone has died because they could not access facebook or twitter.  

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

got interrupted. i meant to say it is a similar thing to conduct on a job  - if we are contracting services from these places, using their resources, we have to adhere to their standards.  we have the option not to use these properties but then we have to take our business elsewhere.  we can complain and organize, too - though doing it on a chat board isn't going to go too many places.  

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

It's eBay's playpen.

On the other hand, I stopped completely selling on this site because eBay DOES NOT meet MY STANDARDS of good/great business practices that I want to be represented by.

I am only a hobby seller, but I know my products, the condition they are in, and I can make my own return policies and I can handle my own money. I am happier at eBid as a hobby seller and now I am working on branding a line of items that will be up for sale. I can take the time I need to get listings the way I want them and they won't be removed (unless I don't follow the few rules they have).

eBay can make sellers follow their standards, but eBay doesn't have products to sell, it's the sellers that do and sellers need to rethink their selling.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Customer performance standards?  Sounds like a good idea to me.  Of course it comes down to how that idea is executed.  Could be good, could be bad.

The customer was NEVER always right.  Customers are just a collection of all human beings, a certain percentage of whom lie, cheat, steal, misuse or abuse products, or tell you to drink bleach and hit the tanning bed.  The idea that one can do or say what one d*mn well pleases is just another way or saying, "I want what I want because I want it."   The Constitution offers not protections for infantilism.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

"eBay to Announce Changes to Seller Performance Standards

When did businesses start demanding that their customers meet performance standards and it seems to be a trend."

---------------------

Well, quite a few of us believe that sellers are not the only customer eBay has.

The buyers are also eBay's customers.  It's been debated here for years if one is more important than the other.

I myself believe both buyers and sellers are eBay's customers.

Both have to meet certain standards to buy or sell here.

Yes, we've heard many say it's the seller's money (fees) which supports eBay,

but smart sellers use their buyer's money to pay them.

jmtcw,

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@etvideo1ataol wrote:

Facebook and Twitter Google all demand that their customers meet their standards of truth even when that truth is a massive lie, propaganda.

You should take your propaganda back to the soapbox where it belongs. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@etvideo1ataol wrote:

When did businesses start demanding that their customers meet performance standards 

In eBay's case, under-performing sellers reflect poorly on the site and drive buyers away. 

So I think eBay started demanding that sellers meet standards when they realized that under-performing sellers were costing eBay money in the long run.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

For those unaware, as I assume you can't share links on the forums, google search his title and leave off anything after the coma and you'll get this:

Buckle up, it appears eBay will be announcing changes to seller performance standards in the coming weeks or months, though there are no clues on whether the changes might be viewed positively or negatively by sellers. 

The news came during an eBay for Business podcast that was recorded in May and published on Tuesday during a segment featuring Gabe Parma, a manager responsible for "Power Seller Seller Standards and Service Metrics."

Podcast host Jim "Uncle Griff" Griffith interviewed Parma about the end of the eBay Power Seller program, which eBay retired this month after 2 decades, informing sellers in an email, "Because the Top Rated Seller program offers more meaningful seller recognition as well as a wider set of benefits, we have made the decision to simplify our seller programs and retire the PowerSeller program and badge as of June 20, 2021."

Toward the end of the interview, Griffith asked Parma about new policies. "I know that your team is working on a lot of new initiatives when it comes to trust and policy specifically for sellers. Would you be willing to come on to the podcast and talk to us about these in the months ahead," he asked.

Parma replied, "We're constantly in conversation with sellers around seller standards and service metrics and looking for ways to improve both the buyer and the seller experience and how we can help. As new and exciting developments are ready, I'm happy to talk to our community."

eBay has made many changes to seller performance standards over the years, but it's difficult to imagine what might be coming next. Ostensibly eBay releases such news in periodic Seller Updates, the last of which was the Spring Seller Update released on March 3, 2021.

But these days, eBay is more likely to roll out changes as it goes along and then announce them after the fact in the Updates. Another Seller Update could arrive this summer, or eBay may wait and release a Fall update. 

The next "eBay Open" event where executives might announce or address major changes is scheduled to take place virtually on August 4 - 6th.

Seller performance standards are a major issue for sellers since they impact fees and exposure in search results. Can you imagine what changes eBay is considering, and what changes would you like to see?
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

"As new and exciting developments are ready, I'm happy to talk to our community."

I'm confused.

I did not read anything that said any new developments that were ready or imminent.

I read it as him saying that he would be happy to to talk to the community about any changes as they are ready. 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply