cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay hiding Pay Pal Button?

Just saw this over on ECB. 

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/abblog/blog.pl?/pl/2019/2/1549052184.html

Seems amazing how out- of- touch eBay is. When I think they couldn't possibly be MORE out of touch they prove me wrong.

HOW many clicks does it take a buyer to search, (maybe) find, check out, and pay now?

We have vulture capitalists screaming at eBay to improve the marketplace, but eBay shrugs it off and does this. Incredible.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: eBay hiding Pay Pal Button?

What I've seen in recent purchases is that if I buy with an account that is linked to my PayPal account then PayPal shows up without needing to click anything. If I buy with an account where I previously used a credit card instead of PayPal then PayPal is "hidden" in the "show other option" section.

I prefer to use a credit card instead of PayPal because I get 2% cash back on my card plus there is added protection over and above what is available if my PayPal balance is used to fund the payment.

I'd guess that in a few years people will be saying "remember when you had to use PayPal on eBay, thankfully those days are over".

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Another barrier to a successful transaction.  Peachy.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 3 of 23
latest reply

Thanks for posting this info. I just bought three items in the last two days and didn't even notice the payment method, because I'm so used to it being the same all the time.

I just threw something in my cart and went to checkout, and mine still defaults to PayPal (thank goodness), so they must be testing it with a limited number of buyers. But I will definitely be watching that in future!
Message 4 of 23
latest reply

I found this little gem in the article to be of particular interest:

The second unknown is where eBay is pulling those buyers' credit card number from. Is it the credit card number they use to pay their eBay fees? Or is it previous transactions where they used a credit card to pay?

Can you just imagine how buyers that are subjected to this out of the blue will feel about further shopping on eBay?

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

I didn't check out your link yet, sorry, but I can confirm that there are extra steps to the Paypal payment process.  More clicks to get it to do what you want.  It used to be simpler.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

I didn't check out your link yet, sorry, but I can confirm that there are extra steps to the Paypal payment process.  More clicks to get it to do what you want.  It used to be simpler.

I agree, but this isn't about THAT extra complication. This seems to be a NEW wrinkle where eBay hides PP entirely unless you can figure out what the extra clicks are to get it back. Seems it just slams the buyer's credit card directly.

I remember Wenig saying something some months back in another ECB article  that the new Ayden payment processor wasn't going to be optional- and eBay wasn't planning to hold buyers' hands through the process, either. It was a horribly arrogant way to phrase it.

Sounds like hardball- and he meant it. This looks like a possible first step in that process.

For a stagnant site that desperately needs to ATTRACT more buyers- and retain them- once again, they've got it stuck full throttle in reverse. If you want someone's money, make it quick and easy for them to hand it over.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

. . . I can confirm that there are extra steps to the Paypal payment process.  More clicks to get it to do what you want.

Not for me. Mine's the same as it was last week, last month. last year. Perhaps you're in the test group of buyers? slight_frown

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

The second unknown is where eBay is pulling those buyers' credit card number from. Is it the credit card number they use to pay their eBay fees? Or is it previous transactions where they used a credit card to pay?

I think I can answer that.  They used the card that I had previously used to pay my ebay fees.   As others have stated previously, the option to use PayPal is on a second page (at least on my PC).  The other night I clicked "check out"...and in less than a second it was all done..."Your order has been placed".   Well, it took me a while to figure out what exactly was charged, but it was my bank card.   It is not listed on eBay as an auto pay or back up funding source unless they added that themselves as well.  

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

gopetersen
Rockstar

The worst thing about this mess is that CONSUMERS DON'T KNOW eBay is migrating to Managed Payments.

They buy, they try to pay, and some of them can't and they don't understand why (and many are not aware that there is a forum and don't CARE, they just want their stuff).

It's ludicrous to make a change like this without informing the buyer about what is going on.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

@gopetersen wrote:

The worst thing about this mess is that CONSUMERS DON'T KNOW eBay is migrating to Managed Payments.

They buy, they try to pay, and some of them can't and they don't understand why (and many are not aware that there is a forum and don't CARE, they just want their stuff).

It's ludicrous to make a change like this without informing the buyer about what is going on.

This. Precisely.

But it's "bad sellers" that drive buyers off eBay, right?

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

I think I can answer that.  They used the card that I had previously used to pay my ebay fees.   As others have stated previously, the option to use PayPal is on a second page (at least on my PC).  The other night I clicked "check out"...and in less than a second it was all done..."Your order has been placed".   Well, it took me a while to figure out what exactly was charged, but it was my bank card.   It is not listed on eBay as an auto pay or back up funding source unless they added that themselves as well.  

Why am I not surprised? 

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

What I've seen in recent purchases is that if I buy with an account that is linked to my PayPal account then PayPal shows up without needing to click anything. If I buy with an account where I previously used a credit card instead of PayPal then PayPal is "hidden" in the "show other option" section.

I prefer to use a credit card instead of PayPal because I get 2% cash back on my card plus there is added protection over and above what is available if my PayPal balance is used to fund the payment.

I'd guess that in a few years people will be saying "remember when you had to use PayPal on eBay, thankfully those days are over".

Huh?  What am I missing?

Can't one use their CC along with / through PP and get BOTH the "cash back" option AND the extra PP buyer protections?

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

@gramophone-georg 

For a stagnant site that desperately needs to ATTRACT more buyers- and retain them

From what I read & hear it would seem that a smoother checkout process is indeed what "new buyers" want to see.  Apparently the "new buyer" mentality is to get "annoyed" to have to make a number of clicks in order to check out.  After all, I can check out with one or two steps on ________, how come I have to take numerous clicks, go sign in to another website and then go back to eBay, just to pay?  I mean I can wave my phone at some box in a B&M store, it is SOOOOOOO annoying to have to jump through hoops on line!  I mean SERIOUSLY!  Can't a tech/online company make it easier FOR ME!  I'm going to go shop somewhere else and bash the heck out of this place on social media!  

So you want to "attract" buyers, get tech that isn't so annoying!

fwiw

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

Ummm, if the card is not listed on ebay as backup funding or auto pay, then how the hell is ebay getting away with using it without the buyer's permission?  

Itty, do you always use that card to pay fees or have you used it just a few times to pay fees?  I mean, is there some weasel wording in fee payment policy that allows ebay to store and use that number at will?

Sounds like an unauthorized transaction to me !

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 15 of 23
latest reply