cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay fees are ridiculous

I have been selling on eBay for almost 15 years and I cannot believe how bad it is gotten. I sell so much stuff I don’t even bother to really look at the fee breakdown but just started to recently. I have a basic store subscription which I pay about $22 a month for. Supposedly my eBay fees are only 15% of sales but I didn’t realize they are actually taking that out of the total INCLUDING shipping! Top of that They said I  had a high “ item not as described“ rate So they are taking another 5% because of that. What a **bleep** joke. I probably have about three returns a month out of over 150 sales and that’s a high rate? I have had only one negative and one neutral feedback in the last year. This seller is starting to move everything over to poshMark and Mercari and only sell certain items on eBay. I tried to close my store and they want $75 for me to do so. Such a disappointment I used to really enjoy selling on eBay but they just suck suck suck now. You would think with all the competition out there they will be trying to encourage their  sellers to stay but evidently not

Message 1 of 90
latest reply
89 REPLIES 89

Re: eBay fees are ridiculous

The buyer PAYS your sold price + the shipping + the sales tax......to you

Ebay sends the sales tax to the buyers State

Ebay charges you 12.55% of the total transaction price...what the buyer paid you which includes shipping + Sales Tax.............

If Ebay makes more than you do........it's because you are paying too much for the item to make the profit you want.    If you don't like the fees........why sell here?

Message 61 of 90
latest reply

@mikeelikeit wrote:

Back in 1990 if you sold a big ticket item the fee was 1  1/2% .Then Meg took over and fees have gone up ever since .

So you never expected things would change in 30 years? 

Message 62 of 90
latest reply

@srdjir wrote:

Two points:

1. ebay is going down and it should go down.

People have been saying that for as along as I've been here........so why list here?  Because you are making money.......presumably.  I doubt you would continue to list if you weren't making money.

Message 63 of 90
latest reply

i couldn't agree more, the fee is ridiculous. maybe perhaps I'll take note on how much the fee will be and make so adjustments before i list. 

Message 64 of 90
latest reply

@vanthemanwiththemasterplan wrote:

i couldn't agree more, the fee is ridiculous. maybe perhaps I'll take note on how much the fee will be and make so adjustments before i list. 

Maybe???

Message 65 of 90
latest reply

Can't count on ebay fees to remain consistent for more than 1yr.
I remember 5% FVF listings with a store not long ago.
When they went past average 10% FVF - I laughed & deleted all my items,
even a store doesn't provide much discount.
So I took the 'seller fees hikes' hint and did my own thing instead.
...not into mere recycle wo profit.

Ebay biz modelers only know one thing -raise fees + complicated fees
(ebay says 20min read on CS fees page)
too many categories are 15% FVF + % on shipping too?  
No thanks

As a buyer:
My favorite sellers list  is a ghost list -I can no longer buy.
Search is now a chore showing ditto cheap results (from same sellers with dif stores).
Rampant seller price tricks in multiple items listings (cell phones at $95 show $4 price - a cord as choice)
Keyword/category spamming rampant
as less reliable sellers welcome
as old reliable sellers moved on

10yr sellers with 2k+ followers -are they worth losing?
Are seller retention failures even calculated?

Message 66 of 90
latest reply

According to the man himself, Pierre Omidyar, eBay was “born in his living room in San Jose on September 3, 1995. So whether you go with 30 years as opposed to 26, is it realistic to expect fees have not increased exponentially? I’m on the East Coast (Georgia) and just in the past few months I’ve sold to buyers in CA, AZ and OR. Where else can I find that kind of exposure for a fee of 12.55%? While I hate to see fee increases I’m realistic about what I get in return for them.

BTW, love your user ID. Those were the cutest commercials!

Message 67 of 90
latest reply

This post definitely went to the wrong thread. Lol!

Message 68 of 90
latest reply

You're paying for exposure. If something better comes along let us know - we've been waiting 23 years.

Message 69 of 90
latest reply

Yes, just like eBay now, close to20% overall, but unsuspecting sheeple are just not aware apparently.

Message 70 of 90
latest reply

@vanthemanwiththemasterplan wrote:

What a great idea.  Know what the fees are BEFORE you list.    You are a genius!

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 71 of 90
latest reply

BEWARE everyone, there's a new convenient "international fee", where if you sell anywhere outside your country, they additionally cut up to 3.93% on the total ammount of sale (depending where your registered address is) on top of eBay fees and other applicable fees. Which ammounts to staggering and unacceptable 20% racquet on your money.  Your thievebay.

Message 72 of 90
latest reply

Which fees are those?  I did not have to pay fees on Sat. or Sun. or today because I've had ZERO sales.  Waiting for them to start calling this site eBayZERO & start a new one called eBayLITE.  😛

Message 73 of 90
latest reply

@bluprince 

The last I heard, it was a 1.65% premium added to the full payment being processed. 

@bluprince wrote:

BEWARE everyone, there's a new convenient "international fee", where if you sell anywhere outside your country, they additionally cut up to 3.93% on the total ammount of sale 

Can you give an example of this almost 4% charge?

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 74 of 90
latest reply

No, the percent depends on sellers and buyers registered country. I sold a cd couple days ago (UK account) with complete basic listing (zero fees) to the guy in Australia, he sent 27.39 euros altogether (it was on German site), and I received 16.8 quid (20.25 euros) which makes it a 26% cut, just unbelievable. Total value fee, international fee, currency conversion fee...you name it. Just a bunch of bandits, eBay.

You can read about those fees here under "international fees" https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/fees-private-sellers?id=4822

Message 75 of 90
latest reply