cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay fees are ridiculous

I have been selling on eBay for almost 15 years and I cannot believe how bad it is gotten. I sell so much stuff I don’t even bother to really look at the fee breakdown but just started to recently. I have a basic store subscription which I pay about $22 a month for. Supposedly my eBay fees are only 15% of sales but I didn’t realize they are actually taking that out of the total INCLUDING shipping! Top of that They said I  had a high “ item not as described“ rate So they are taking another 5% because of that. What a **bleep** joke. I probably have about three returns a month out of over 150 sales and that’s a high rate? I have had only one negative and one neutral feedback in the last year. This seller is starting to move everything over to poshMark and Mercari and only sell certain items on eBay. I tried to close my store and they want $75 for me to do so. Such a disappointment I used to really enjoy selling on eBay but they just suck suck suck now. You would think with all the competition out there they will be trying to encourage their  sellers to stay but evidently not

Message 1 of 90
latest reply
89 REPLIES 89

Re: eBay fees are ridiculous

rip van winkle.png

This what  happens when you go to sleep at the wheel.

That final value fee on shipping  was implemented  in November 2011 -

You now receive 250 free listings every month used have to pay for each & every one, plus every picture but the first one.  Maybe you could avoided paying any store fees - unless your  are selling tons each & every month,

You signed up for a years subscription for a store - -  it is a very common practice  to pay  an early termination fee when you don't live up to the agreement terms you signed up for - you could  have signed up for a month to month but  would have to pay more than $22/month

In a nutshell you have no clue  if made a nickel or a dime on your claimed multitude of sales - and how  much income tax you had to pay or not ????

Time changes everything  - I predict that some day soon there will be telephones without a 25'  long cord. too

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 46 of 90
latest reply

@chapeau-noir 

I just wrote my own HTML and hosted photos elsewhere

I still use the HTML I worked out for my listings.

And probably still have the third party photo hosting site somewhere.

I'm a great believer in exhaustive descriptions. Especially measurements (rather than sizes) on women's clothing.

Message 47 of 90
latest reply

@johnrj1226 wrote:

rip van winkle.png

This what  happens when you go to sleep at the wheel.

That final value fee on shipping  was implemented  in November 2011 -

You now receive 250 free listings every month used have to pay for each & every one, plus every picture but the first one.  Maybe you could avoided paying any store fees - unless your  are selling tons each & every month,

You signed up for a years subscription for a store - -  it is a very common practice  to pay  an early termination fee when you don't live up to the agreement terms you signed up for - you could  have signed up for a month to month but  would have to pay more than $22/month

In a nutshell you have no clue  if made a nickel or a dime on your claimed multitude of sales - and how  much income tax you had to pay or not ????

Time changes everything  - I predict that some day soon there will be telephones without a 25'  long cord. too

What *I* heard - and mind you, it was just something I heard rather than saw, was that someday there may be wireless telephones!  I mean, ones you can carry around with you.  And, probably not in our lifetimes, but there may be those actually able to access the sum total of the world's knowledge (and cat photos).

Doesn't matter.  I'm sticking to my oatmeal boxes and string.  Those fancy telephones are a SCAM.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 48 of 90
latest reply

My descriptions used to have a nice template that I wrote up but now they're the plainest of vanilla. 

I use bullet points, though - that's kinda hip.

Screenshot 2021-11-05 182123.jpg

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 49 of 90
latest reply

Always kept my listing concise with bullet points description that are to the point and reduance or as  Jack Webb used to say on Dragnet - give me the  facts, just the fact mam! or as my HS  Senior Theme Writing would say Johnson!!! be PITHY - had to look that word up in the Websters.  Ditched all that sales puffery and marketing jargon (hard to do some times after a 41 years career in Sales and Marketing)

Plus, my photos were clear, close up with plain backgrounds usually a light blue - not beautiful rose  gardens or floral arbors unless I was selling them.  Used a partial, but interesting, view of my product to improve  the possibility that shoppers will stop and read more - 'kinda like the "show 'em a little leg" routine

The key to successful selling on the net is to get the "shopper" to stop and get them to put an eyeball on your listings and evaluate your offerings/your selling credentials/your total price - buyers aren't going to read a bunch of redundant gibberish that looks right a chapter out of "Gone With The Wind" or "Mein Kampf" (read both - one for a grade, the later for pleasure) or selling conditions that are longer than the mortgage  I  agreed to with my John Hancock.  Buyers will give one limited time and if you "look" too confusing they  will do a walk on by.  IBM used  preach to their sales reps -  You have 3 minutes to close the deal on their products/system.  Heck, people  hardly stop  for red lights any more and  view speed limit signs as mere suggestions - they are in a hurry don't you know - then will complain about their high insurance rates.

'Nough Said* 

and 

ain't PITY today + got no good English

*From the newspaper comic strips

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
Message 50 of 90
latest reply

I will be closing my store after january when my contract is up..

Message 51 of 90
latest reply

And don't forget the taxes they are also included in your fees

Message 52 of 90
latest reply

Recall making a "telephone" out two tin cans & kite string.  When we were through with the phones we played "kick the can" in the alley.  Used to use the phones in our home made "club houses" ( we had two close together) them  built out of card board and left over wood pieces from homes that were being built - asked for permission to take  the wood.  Plus the builders gave us some nails to do our our job and the card board came from our local grocery store for  free too.   Our cost  including our own **bleep** & T  zero .  Hint a name of musical group from the late 60's - saw them play on Rush Street in Chi Town)  Check out the Utube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjZtRAoITP0

Message 53 of 90
latest reply

Amazing the  robo  did a"bleep" on my abbreviation of the term Blood Sweat  a &nd Tears - the musical  group I'm referring  also used that abbrev on their albums - maybe this post will not get bleeped  - certainly don't wantto offend some one  18 or over - unless they are cheating.

Good Night John Boy

Message 54 of 90
latest reply

These people who say that ebay fees are fine are idiots. Ebay calculates 12.55% from the listing price + shipping + sales tax, and deducts that value from the listing price!? That is a theft and the reason why ebay is losing sellers. And it should lose sellers.

Message 55 of 90
latest reply

Ebay calculates 12.55% from the listing price + shipping + sales tax, and deducts that value from the listing price!? That is a theft

So you want them to bill you instead?  Don't understand your point.............. 

@srdjir 

Message 56 of 90
latest reply

Two points:

1. ebay is going down and it should go down.

Message 57 of 90
latest reply

Back in 1990 if you sold a big ticket item the fee was 1  1/2% .Then Meg took over and fees have gone up ever since .

Message 58 of 90
latest reply

What i don't get is how are they gonna add shipping and tax to the amount the buyer paid. For example 500 for an item 10 for shipping but ebay will add 40 for tax and then deduct 12.55% off 550 but there was only $510 to begin with im so sick of this sh$%. I do all the work and they get more money than i do, i would just increase the price but that jus means ebay gets more.  I hope this place goes bankrupt f$÷×+%#÷ crooks.

Message 59 of 90
latest reply

Exactly just making figures out of thin air so their bottom line is bigger what a bunch of crooks you do all the work they get paid more.

Message 60 of 90
latest reply