cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why the hell is this site ALL ABOUT THE BUYERS?

We have been on Ebay for over 28 years. Ebay has become all about the buyer. They say there is protection for the sellers, THERE IS NONE! All the protection goes to the buyers! We pay on average $1500 in fees. For what? Pictures and listings? We pay for our store. Ebay sucks now. We cannot even return feedback. UGGH!

Message 1 of 134
latest reply
133 REPLIES 133

Re: Why the hell is this site ALL ABOUT THE BUYERS?

I believe MOST sellers are experiencing trouble with abuse of eBay's return policy and losing profit at a troubling rate.  I also believe many 3rd party sites do not have the bad reputation that eBay has received for the way it exposes it's sellers to abuse.  I have zero motivation to list anymore.  At one time it was fun, exciting and profitable.  Now it is a miserable experience with little reward.  One scammer per 100 sales has become 2, 3 or 4.  That is a huge profit and motivation depleter.  At least donating the stuff we won't sell brings a good feeling whereas getting ripped off is downright depressing and maddening.

Message 46 of 134
latest reply

The biggest issue I see on the boards is that many of the sellers screaming fraud and bad buyers are dealing with simple returns or nonpayment and over reacting.

exactly. the seller that ships out an item in good condition and the buyer gets a smashed box with a broken item in it. FRAUD! Buyer is trying to RIP ME OFF!

I had a buyer just before Christmas, I think we must have had a good 2 dozen emails back and forth. Where's my item? Left horrible feedback for many

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 47 of 134
latest reply

Not to throw it in your face, but SOME OF US are STILL making money.  THAT is why we "defend" Ebay.  Do I make millions? No.  Do I sell hundreds of items every day? No.  Do I pay a mortgage with my sales? No.  BUT IT WORKS FOR ME. I am clearing out stuff and trading it for money (sales). 

When things slow down or I havent made a sale in a while I LOOK TO MYSELF FIRST.  Maybe I need to try different methods (auction vs fixed price) or change up pricing or list some seasonal items or or just list new items. I DONT go blaming the post office, the Dark Lords of Market Forces, the phase of the moon, "throttling" conspiracies, OR OTHER SELLERS.

Message 48 of 134
latest reply

Va4vi: Perhaps the reason that so many on the boards "want to defend the indefensible" is because they feel they have nowhere to go and that ebay has been their savior ... and perhaps they are right.
Message 49 of 134
latest reply

I beg to differ. I believe eBay could do a MUCH better job at protecting sellers. They have instituted many policy changes and "punishments" to protect themselves and their profits but expose sellers to worsening policies. At the very least, they need to beef-up their return litigation. There is no way that with all the documentation that I provided, anyone could say my item was not authentic. EBay simply did not take the time to review it or care. There is ONE simple method to give a little more protection. Didn't even require a braisn storming session.

Message 50 of 134
latest reply

Va4vi: Self-deceptive.
Message 51 of 134
latest reply

wrote:
Va4vi: Perhaps the reason that so many on the boards "want to defend the indefensible" is because they feel they have nowhere to go and that ebay has been their savior ... and perhaps they are right.

I wouldnt say I have "nowhere" to go - I sell on other sites too - but this is definitely the biggest and best known and it is GLOBAL and you can sell JUST ABOUT ANYTHING. I list on a variety of sites - one place the vintage sells best, one the clothes sell best, one the other stuff - knicknacks, collectibles, DVDs, etc, sell faster and better.  You drop your hook where there are fish who eat your bait - some ponds have MORE fish, some fish prefer specific bait.

Message 52 of 134
latest reply

There is absolutely no way to prove what a seller said they sent was what they sent. Should they be sending couriers to seller's houses to watch them pack and take the item so it cannot be tampered with?

There are many designer items that are counterfeited that come with all the counterfeited documentation to go with. If someone is going to counterfeit a $2400 purse do you really think they couldn't counterfeit labels and receipts?

Ebay has to decide cases en masse. They cannot one-off cases for every one every time. It's not realistic. There is no way to protect good buyers from scamming sellers without also protecting the slim margin of scamming buyers.

Message 53 of 134
latest reply

First off, I don't think anyone believes everything Ebay does is good. We all have our pet peeves and annoyances and most of us speak about them regularly.

However, for most people they can make far more money here than they lose. That's what it's all about. Not having a perfect experience because that is not reasonable when dealing with strangers. If your experience is a net positive you keep moving forwards. If you're having THAT many bad experiences then it's time to move on. Buyer protection is here to stay. 

Message 54 of 134
latest reply

Why does eBay favor buyers? It's very simple, and if you don't grasp it I would suggest that you have learned very little for all your years in online retail:

Buyers are more valuable than sellers. That's why both Amazon and eBay have spent tremendous amounts of money "acquiring buyers." Amazon, in particular, justified the constant losses that it posted during its early years by arguing that it was "acquiring buyers." eBay did the same, but without spilling red ink as notoriously as Amazon.

Two things that I have learned in my two decades of selling on eBay (and elsewhere):

1) Each seller needs a substantial pool of buyers to support him or her. I know that I couldn't get by on only a handful of buyers. If I'm going to make money — and for eBay to make money off of me — eBay needs to keep a strong and steady stream of people checking out my listings. The higher the ratio of buyers to sellers, the better for eBay — and in the end, the better for sellers as well.

That means that eBay has to make sure that a whole lot of buyers feel comfortable buying here, and that means they're going to give the appearance of favoring buyers over sellers much of the time. Think about it: If you go back as far with eBay as you say, you should remember a time (as I do) when it wasn't uncommon to meet someone who said, "I would never shop on eBay because I don't want to get ripped off." It's much less common to hear that now, because of the Money Back Guarantee.

2) Related to my first point: eBay has lowered that barriers to entry to becoming a seller. Literally, anyone can do it. So there is bound to be an oversupply of sellers. We're all disposible. Like the Persian Immortals, if one of us falls, someone will step right up to take our place. eBay knows this; it knows that it always has too many sellers for the current buyer pool to support.

It also knows that attrition will get rid of the worst sellers, the ones that are simply not fit to be sellers in the first place.

Message 55 of 134
latest reply

wrote:

I beg to differ. I believe eBay could do a MUCH better job at protecting sellers. They have instituted many policy changes and "punishments" to protect themselves and their profits but expose sellers to worsening policies. At the very least, they need to beef-up their return litigation. There is no way that with all the documentation that I provided, anyone could say my item was not authentic. EBay simply did not take the time to review it or care. There is ONE simple method to give a little more protection. Didn't even require a braisn storming session.

I have been on Ebay since I was a kid.  My mom and aunt also sold here before me.  I have seen the long term trends.  At first it was a wild west freak show where there was a lot of risk for the buyer - few protections, tons of counterfeits, no delivery confirmation, weird payment venues, etc.  So more rules were put in place to protect them and weed out the bad sellers.  It went too far and chased off many very good sellers too who didnt meet unreachable goals and many buyers started to scam without limit and were just driving the site into the ground.  It is now swinging back towards the middle - sellers arent rated as harshly and can file disputes of their own and report bad buyers. 

All I can advise is learn the rules and use them appropriately and whenever necessary to protect yourself.

Message 56 of 134
latest reply

wrote:

JAMES..

Yes,  Ebay is now much more interested in  keeping  buyers happy---than in keeping sellers happy.  I  believe  the main reason  for that is sellers now outweigh buyers  by  a  big margin.     And I think  that Ebay is having trouble  keeeping  the  long-time  buyers they have.   And in  attracting new buyers  to  this  Site. 

I guess it is easy to say things like this but the numbers do not support your words.

I  believe  the main reason  for that is sellers now outweigh buyers  by  a  big margin.   -  Click here to see current (some 2018 mostly 2016 and 2017) stats that tell a different story.  These stats are very interesting and worth every eBay users ten minutes.  If you click on the stat number it will take you to the documented info used in this article.

And I think  that Ebay is having trouble   keeeping the  long-time  buyers they have.   And in  attracting new buyers  to  this  Site.  -  Click here to see the real truth about buyer traffic to the site.

Also I wanted to mention that eBay is now back up to the same level of external traffic coming in from search engines ( about 20% of all traffic coming from external search engines) as it was when the hack and google panda penalties took place.  Both eBay and Amaz both have gotten this number back to normal. 

Good Luck Selling!

Message 57 of 134
latest reply

I disagree.  I am not certain that sales receipts, SKU, serial numbers,  labels, holograms, photographs, signatures, UPC,'s etc are that easily or perfectly "forged" or else even the buyer would not be able to tell.  What is happening is that buyers gets something that they don't like in person,  or does not match their outfit, or is smaller than they thought even though sizes are in the listing.  IOW, in spite of genuine authenticity, and documentation to back it up,  all they need to say is that they don't "think" it is authentic and I have to pay shippings.  Based upon NOTHING but a buyer's "feeling".    I believe this is a real problem and entitled buyers know how to use it and it is becoming a greater problem that simply "blocking" will not help. 

Message 58 of 134
latest reply

I DID. I did everything that can be done - made no difference.
Message 59 of 134
latest reply

All I can advise is learn the rules and use them appropriately and whenever necessary to protect yourself.

that should be the response to at least half the complaints around here.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 60 of 134
latest reply