cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Ebay keep relisting an item I sold several weeks ago?

I'm not doing it,  you are. About every time I look at my auctions, there it is again. You owe me about $1.05 ... and counting, ebay. This time I'm going to just leave it and when someone buys it, I'm going to explain to them exactly what I just told you. If they give me bad feedback, I'm going to be on the phone every loud with you people. If no one buys it, I'm going to demand a refund.

And this then will be my standard procedure until you get your act together (like that's going to happen).

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Why does Ebay keep relisting an item I sold several weeks ago?

Why don't you call customer service or just end the listing? 

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Can you look at the original listing?  There is a check box to keep relisting an auction 8 times.  My brother had this same problem.  You can see the box on a home computer, but his problem was that he was listing with his phone.  You can not see the box...but it relists 8 times in a row anyway.  This happens automatically.  I don't know a fix, but I do know the problem exists.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

@evry1nositswindy 

Did the auction relisting happen after it was sold?  Hard to believe that a sale wouldn't negate that option......as that would presume more items available? 

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

BUMP

@Anonymous  ... here is another one... see I am not alone here. I have recently (this last week) bumped 3 others to you for examples just as you requested. Is there an update? 

Thanks - NC

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

This happened to us 2 times  before we ended ALL our listings.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@dhbookds  The OP didn't specify whether the item sold on eBay or if he sold it at another location. 

I too had an item relist 'by itself' that I had sold and I was skeptical until it happened to me.  I had 2 items that were the same but the condition was different.  I sold one on eBay, the other I took to an antique show and it was never listed on eBay.  I sold the item at the show, and sold the other one on eBay.  A week later it was for sale again and I didn't do it because it was SOLD! 

My brother's item had not sold, but he didn't want it relisted because he was out of town at the time.  Could have been bad news for his account.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

There's a couple ways items can automatically get re-listed. 

If you use Magento or similar platform for instance, there is a setting that will automatically relist items.  You control that setting from inside the platform.  That request gets pushed to Ebay.  So, you can not change that setting from within Ebay.  You have to change it in your original platform.  Do you create your listings in Ebay or are they pushed to Ebay?

Check your Ebay preferences.  Make sure "Use The Out of Stock Option " box is not checked.   & Are you setting the quantity available to 1 for your GTC listings?

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Perhaps the answer is found in here, or not.

Automatic relisting

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Yes, this happens. If you have a lot of constantly relisted items it can be very hard to detect. I might have sold something months ago, and it was relisted without my knowledge, and I only find out when it sells again and I can't find it. The only thing to do is refund the customer's money. Then of course you are slightly penalized for eBay's mistake, because this gets listed as a "defective" transaction. I have had a few instances where I could actually document the double listing, because the interval between the two was short.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

There are come glitches in the system. You are not alone. Unfortunately, you probably do need to call of just do as others have mentioned, end the item and move on. 

Sometimes it is cheaper for me to not call and have to deal with that fiasco.....

Cheaper as in not screwing up my serenity. 

It's got to be worthwhile for me to call, and a buck and some change is just not worth it to me. 

Ending listings and chilling out until eBay gets their act together is my plan.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

"Ending listings and chilling out -until eBay gets their act together- is my plan."

We are planning for a long vacation from eBay
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tiktakyak wrote:

I'm not doing it,  you are. About every time I look at my auctions, there it is again. You owe me about $1.05 ... and counting, ebay. This time I'm going to just leave it and when someone buys it, I'm going to explain to them exactly what I just told you. If they give me bad feedback, I'm going to be on the phone every loud with you people. If no one buys it, I'm going to demand a refund.

And this then will be my standard procedure until you get your act together (like that's going to happen).

Hi @tiktakyak, can you provide me with an item number to review? Most often when investigating these situations, I find that either a third party listing tool has relisted the item, there was already a duplicate listing for the item that has been active for some time, or the seller has relisted in bulk from the Unsold section without using the "Not yet relisted" filter. That being said, I'm happy to look into the situation for you if you can give me some more details!

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

This just happened to me yesterday for the first time. Goshdarnit eBay, why do you have to fix that which is not broken? Seems to be a lot of glitches since the recent changes. I ended my listing myself upon finding it was still there, after I had sold it, but it's a good thing I was paying attention and didn't resell the same item and then have to explain it to the customer.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

I had 2 listings which had their items increased from 1 to 2.  I had to cancel them.

Glitches happen, but it's up to Ebay to admit they happen. Right? Smiley Very Happy

latest reply