cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who KNOWS ??? yep its concerning slow sales

Something i asked a anchor store CSR today ebay says there nothing wrong no site issues etc but we sellers all know there is something wrong the drastic sales decline experianced by many sellers is just not normal. its has never been this bad for me in 13+ years

how about this thought  and lol when its so slow you have time to think about things .

anyways ebay rents server space from amazon so whats to stop amazon from  doing something thats basically undectable to the servers used by ebay to cause slow sales on ebay . really there is a lot of smart computer techs out there . who says they have not developed something  to interfer with those ebay servers, a small intentional glitch bug they can get away with.   just to cause such a drastic drop in sales.  there has been many business's over the years that have done shady things. so who really knows who you can trust

personally if i owned ebay i would never rent server space from another online competitor as who really knows what that company would/could do to my company

lets face it there is something very wrong with ebay.  the drastic decline of sales for many sellers like me who used to make a decent enough living on the site proves that.  who knows what the real truth is but i do the drastic sales decline is not the fault of  most ebay sellers . this month may be my last.  this week is the worst week i have had in 13+ years. i have  several thousand items listed and like $950,000.00 + total price of all items listed  and only sold 7 items for little over $200 in sales since last sat.  i am one of the largest sellers on ebay with  the biggest and best selection of vintage items in my categorys but still a 1 man show .  but each month it just gets worse and i simply cannot continue to sell on ebay with sales as bad as they have become for me

something is so very wrong somewhere somehow.  i surely wish it would get solved or otherwise i will be forced to quit really soon like end the of the month.  really it is a shame that sellers have to quit over the lack of sales. but you cannot keep robbing peter to pay paul

ebay has forgot thier way and it may be jmho yes sellers are like at least 10% more important then buyers, you know why, if there is no sellers on ebay then there is no buyers either. to get buyers to the site you got to have sellers on the site too.

they can squeeze money from sellers, because even without buyers buying from the sellers they can like still string them along for a few months milking them dry before the seller quits. so really the seller is more important to them and thier wallet then buyers are.  really jmho its so bogus that anyone actually believes buyers are more important then the sellers who still have to pay ebay even if the seller does not make any sales. LOL  how i look at it, is people that give me money are more important to me then people who dont give me money

Bill Cobb describes critics as just 'bad sellers'.

JD Hoe describes critics as just 'noise-makers'.

So... business as usual. At least for the Ebay CHEERLEADERS and board of directors.

Message 1 of 121
latest reply
120 REPLIES 120

Re: Who KNOWS ??? yep its concerning slow sales

@tunicaslot wrote:

I don't think it's collusion with Amazon. Ebay has changed throughout the years - adding the Bog Box and Chinese sellers - yet despite that - people are still buying.

A couple of posters were on here the other day complaining of low sales - you should have seen their listings - horrible pictures, no descriptions - no measurements - no manufacturers listed and yet - they both had sales. Made me mad that I throw all my time making my listings the best possible and sales go to someone who puts no effert into their listings - but life's not fair folks.

Each and every year - buyers have more opportunities when it comes to shopping. With many B&Ms now having an online presense  - it's easier if I order online from them to just return it to the store than bother shipping it back even if the Ebay seller provides me with a return label. It's easier to actual view the item instore or try it on - and then come home and order online as many are offering discounts - to their online store only.

If sales are too slow for you - you have to find a venue that serves your needs. The free lists and social media groups are the in thing with buyers now. C list - offer up and others are where many of my younger friends are buying and selling. There are problems here with search and sellers who seem to take preference over the small seller - but if you can't deal with it - search for someplace you are more comfortable with.

I wish there was more advertising and more gimmicks to draw people back - but opportunites for buyers now are endless. Just as Ebay use to be the in thing - now it's social media - in another couple of years there'll probably be a dedicated channel on the TV for small sellers - things change - time moves on and we just have to move with it.

This is a good analysis and I agree. I am now an old poop and way out of touch with what younger people are doing but even I know (from having a teen) that they have many more online services and stores that they use. In contrast ebay is staid.  Yesterday's news. Sorry about that.

I'm in books and the situation is grim from competition here and on Amazon (oddly, no shortage of sellers here or there or at booksales).  Recently my sales have sagged and I am pushing auctions hard to help offset that. At least it's something positive I can do, versus just worrying.

Message 106 of 121
latest reply

I can confirm the same is happening to me, I left comments after you but mine are soooo similar
Message 107 of 121
latest reply

Same thing liq says - are you one and the same???? 

Message 108 of 121
latest reply

@liq1000 wrote:

They are doing something, this new search technology is so bad that all the top executives will soon be fired and we will get a new CEO !!!!

One could only hope but definately very unlikely.  

Trust me, I feel your pain as do pretty much 99% of Americans on eBay.  I meditate on it every night.  You don't want to know the vibes I'm sending to Devin Wenig and family, they arent nice.

Message 109 of 121
latest reply

kez - I do hope things improve for you. My husband, myself and my son are avid book readers - my husband and I have kindles although I do still buy books mostly at garage sales for 25-50 cents as we read them and then donate or garage sale them.

My son likes to hold an actual book and is into alternate history or syfy series - so I've bought many books on here for him this past year - but I admit - I look for a book seller who has many of the books I need and then it's an added plus if it's B3G1 or 15% discount to counter the ship cost. 

Message 110 of 121
latest reply

Folks get real - when it was Meg - people weren't happy with decisions she made and wanted her ousted - then it was Donohue - everyone wanted him gone - now Devin. We made the choice to sell here and we can make the choice to leave. Try to make lemonade out of the lemons or go somewhere that give you fruit punch. No matter where you go - there will be ups and downs - things you don't agree with ect...

I completely understand the frustration - but there really is nothing we can do about it. Search does need a revamp - but the economy is not improving or if it is - people are more careful what they are spending their extra cash on - otherwise you wouldn't see Sears, Macy's, Penny's, Gander Mountain and tons of other nationally known B&Ms closing.

Message 111 of 121
latest reply

Ya, thats about it.

Message 112 of 121
latest reply

Thats about it~

Message 113 of 121
latest reply

All of Ebays games are cathing up with them,  people are tired of people out bidding every one and then disapear and Ebay does nthing, people are tired of having items pull as ovensive when dozens of the same type item are allowed, and ebay distroyed the feedback system, thats the big one. Sad but people are moving on.

Message 114 of 121
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:

Here is a link that shows an estimate of who have tyhe most servers. Click here. Ebay actually is estimated to have a much larger number servers than Amazon Based on the article above.

Information from 2013.  The article also says Amazon does not share information concerning its number of data servers.

I don't know doodly about data servers but I do know I never get a spinning circle or have to wait for anything to load on Amazon.

I understand Amazon does not report this info but what we do know is how much Amazon spent with a web-server supplier and it is estimated to be about 40K servers.  This info is found a bit deeper in the same link I supplied earlier.  The amount of servers is not really all that important because different servers can handle different load amounts.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 115 of 121
latest reply

Yikes!!

Everything I list is "Buy it Now," and I have only had one sale in the last 30 days.

I do not have many items for sale, but I typically only list 7-10 higher end items. Suffice it say, I have done far better in the past than I have since the start of 2017. All of the items I have for sale have been relisted continously for several months now, when in the past they would have all sold by now.

So close to leaving eBay altogether and finding another selling platform. Even local consignment has got to be better that eBay :(((

Message 116 of 121
latest reply

Oh God! Ebay renting server space from Amazon? Thats just great, (not) Amazon can be doing anthing they want to us Ebay sellers and to Ebay itself. Almost the same thing as renting bombs to North Korea.

Message 117 of 121
latest reply

Even if it's true that Ebay is renting cloud space from Amazon it would be illegal for Amazon to interfere with the business of Ebay. What purpose would it serve? Amazon and Ebay are not serious competitors, Amazon is the 600 pound gorilla. 

Aside from it being illegal, if they did interfere and it became public they would kiss a huge portion of their business goodbye. Nobody would run on the Amazon cloud if there was even a hint that Amazon could be corrupting the businesses of others.

It's much more reasonable to understand that it is Ebay being Ebay. Creating new horrible changes and implementing without full testing. Plus sellers who keep bringing the same old stuff and selling it the same old way.

This thread is from May BTW.

Message 118 of 121
latest reply

@liq1000 wrote:

millions of eBay stores are going to go under.

Looks like THAT prediction was false.

Message 119 of 121
latest reply

Yup.....

Message 120 of 121
latest reply