cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is this Little Old Jar?

Here's another old piece that I need help identifying...

SI-ET-Moisturizer-Jar-0.JPG

SI-ET-Moisturizer-Jar-1.JPG

My initial guess is that it used to have some sort of moisturizer cream in it, but I can't say for certain one way or another without getting opinions here.

And what is it with the design on the lid?  It it some sort of brand logo or what?

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: What is this Little Old Jar?

i saw many of these antique face powder jars in anitique shops when I was in London several years ago..they are very collectible.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 16 of 19
latest reply

Thanks for the additional advice, especially on pricing.  Saved me from having to self lynch later like the Death Cult priests from the original Beastmaster.

Thankfully, the small group of items this is scheduled to go up with is not dur to go up until the 15th (doing 4 per day this month until I get to 100, and there are 2 days' worth ahead of its group.)

Anyway, will definitely take some more time to research further to decide definitively what my price point will be.

Now to go reshoot the collapsible fishing rod I have up to show without the reel, since I just had someone asking if they could buy without the reel (didn't mention any discount, but I will drop the price by $10 on the listing for her when I update it, just in case that is good enoughSmiley Very Happy

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 17 of 19
latest reply

If you search Black and Gold Art Deco cold cream you'll see a set of four the two smaller ones are your style insert lid and finger grips on the side $24.99 for the set. Far cry from $300.00....

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Hairstyle is consistent with the mid- to latter 1700s.   Lady looks French to me -- possibly Marie Antoinette or Madame du Barry (wife / mistress respectively of Louis XVI, last King of France).

However, as another poster noted, women's hairstyles like this during that era weren't only popular in France.  Google the Duchess of Devonshire (Georgiana), for example,  and you'll see her wearing a similar style.

Not implying the jar is 400 years old -- by the looks of the glass bottom, I would say Art Deco era.  Could have held cold cream, though my bet is loose face powder.   Quite often jars like this are simply called, vanity or dresser jars.

Here's a similar jar (albeit without the women's portrait on the top):  https://wanelo.co/p/27852246/vintage-art-deco-round-glass-vanity-powder-or-trinket-box-with-brass-go...

A possible "du Barry" connection is interesting, as there was a line of cosmetics launched by Richard Hudnut in 1929 called "DuBarry"  which would correspond with the Art Deco era.  See: http://www.makeupmuseum.org/home/2016/10/dubarry-vintage-makeup.html

DuBarry marketed a number of face powders, some which had the image of Madame du Barry on the lid of the jar, but I wasn't able to find any using the same portrait as the one you have, nor with an Art Deco-styled glass bottom.  Yours is much prettier.

I think if you're lucky you might get $25-$30 for it.  Though the portrait on the lid does make it attractive/different than similar plain lidded jars.  A Francophile might find it particularly appealing.  In your copy, I'd also suggest it could be used as a trinket box or a unique way to present a special piece of jewelry that could easily be nestled inside.

HTH

Message 19 of 19
latest reply