cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is this Little Old Jar?

Here's another old piece that I need help identifying...

SI-ET-Moisturizer-Jar-0.JPG

SI-ET-Moisturizer-Jar-1.JPG

My initial guess is that it used to have some sort of moisturizer cream in it, but I can't say for certain one way or another without getting opinions here.

And what is it with the design on the lid?  It it some sort of brand logo or what?

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

1920s cold cream jar with a celluloid insert on the lid...

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

1920s cold cream jar with a celluloid insert on the lid...

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

It might have been part of a vanity set, or ladies travel kit.

(*Bleep*)
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Have to say, that is all the info I needed for now.  Thanks.  Before it was identified, I was just going to list it at $20.  Now that I know, I will still likely be listing it at $20.  But I will refrain from commenting in the listing, "I don't know what the beautician got for that style.  But if you ask me, he should have got life."  Smiley Happy

Or perhaps I will say that...

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

"I don't know what the beautician got for that style.  But if you ask me, he should have got life."  Smiley Happy nowthatsjustducky - unquote 

I believe that was the George Washington look alike  style  that was the fad at the time -  lol . tulips 

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Guess it just goes to show that not all aspects of the "good ol' days" were really better then.

Then again, I myself have always been fond of the various 1980s styles.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@nowthatsjustducky wrote:

Guess it just goes to show that not all aspects of the "good ol' days" were really better then.

Then again, I myself have always been fond of the various 1980s styles.

We should probably be thankful!

That's the 'AFTER'!  You should have seen the 'BEFORE'!  Smiley Surprised

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Looks very much like the powdered wigs worn in England, they were a status symbol back then., They were not so popular in this country.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Hi so if you google "cold cream jar with cameo" I looked at "images" there are sites for antiques where I see simillar listings going for $200-$375 for items like this one so you may want to consider asking a lot more for it. I dont see another one with that specific design so it could be very rare. 

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

These kind of jars what they are made of and if they are glass or cut crystal and how old matters. I would say $99-$150 is a fair estimate for this item.   Maybe best offer? 

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

I think its Marie Antoinette.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Yes could be, or a lady of the court in England..and because the glass is clear, and shows the contents, it may have held face powder,not cold cream.These old face powder jars are very collectible.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Doesnt really look like Marie Antoinette though..

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7d/Marie...

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

I was thinking along the same lines of face powder.  Did they even have face creams back then (other than maybe cold cream)?  The ones listed on ebay and sold don't really sell for very much.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

yes,face powder...ladies had very ornate glass face powder jars..with a beautiful puff of course to sit on their vanity tables.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply