cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is happening?

Is it me, or is there is an abnormal amount of long-time sellers leaving the platform lately?

Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Re: What is happening?

I think that as of late there has been an abnormal number of new sellers joining eBay from the beautiful country of Sri Lanka.

More than enough to replace any long time sellers leaving eBay.

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
Message 31 of 49
latest reply

Pix me after food shopping Manhattan 740DCDC6-0B60-4828-8E29-EFF24091557A.jpeg2 days ago Monday.  Long term seller since 1998.  Not leaving.

Message 32 of 49
latest reply

its just a numbers game,you can make anything look bad or good just with numbers

this week 50,000 usa people will die and 1 out of every 60 of those folks were ebay sellers

its safe to say that every single day 100 usa ebay sellers are going to expire

@myestate-treasures4u 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 33 of 49
latest reply

If you mean the number of threads posted by disgruntled sellers announcing their departure, this is nothing. There have been multiple periods of time where we saw waaaay many more daily.

Message 34 of 49
latest reply

This board has been a continual daily flood of long term sellers leaving for 25 years now.

However most of them don't actually quit. I did a youtube video about it where I found a bunch of "I quit" posts that were at least a year old and nearly all of them had active listings.

For most of us types who hang out on these boards there is nowhere else to go. Sure you could go to Mercari or Poshmark or something and pay similar or higher fees for a tiny fraction of the eyes on your items. 

I wish there was a real flood of sellers leaving.  I keep predicting and hoping that being forced to fill out tax forms will cause a mass exodus of garage sale pickers, but they just keep putting that off. 

Of course even then it would just mostly be an exodus of sellers who didn't really sell much of anything.  It would be those people with 2000 listings who sell 2 items a week because they guess all their prices. As even a part time picker who actually goes about ebay as a real business and lists at prices that sell will hit 20K in sales pretty easily.

Message 35 of 49
latest reply

@sltom6 wrote:

Saying you're leaving and actually doing so are two different things.

so true, plenty of people coming here saying they are sick of ebay and are leaving, in the meantime, years later, they are still here 🙄

Message 36 of 49
latest reply

@onefootflippers wrote:

This board has been a continual daily flood of long term sellers leaving for 25 years now.

However most of them don't actually quit. I did a youtube video about it where I found a bunch of "I quit" posts that were at least a year old and nearly all of them had active listings.

For most of us types who hang out on these boards there is nowhere else to go. Sure you could go to Mercari or Poshmark or something and pay similar or higher fees for a tiny fraction of the eyes on your items. 

I wish there was a real flood of sellers leaving.  I keep predicting and hoping that being forced to fill out tax forms will cause a mass exodus of garage sale pickers, but they just keep putting that off. 

Of course even then it would just mostly be an exodus of sellers who didn't really sell much of anything.  It would be those people with 2000 listings who sell 2 items a week because they guess all their prices. As even a part time picker who actually goes about ebay as a real business and lists at prices that sell will hit 20K in sales pretty easily.

I think "flood" is a real overstatement.  There is always some but I've seen no flood and I've been here a long time.  

Then there are all the new sellers that are joining on a regular basis as well.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 37 of 49
latest reply

Sometimes sellers pass away and there accounts just fade away.

Message 38 of 49
latest reply

I guess I could surmise by "what I see on the boards" that most people despise ebay.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 39 of 49
latest reply

20d940a0b704c6c122b9be819834df32a969c684.gif

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 40 of 49
latest reply

Been selling on eBay since 2009 on my second account, wanna survive on line, it all Depends what you bring to the table for your customers ! Forget the fees unless you wanna go to the streets, sell online fees are pretty consistent across the board.

Message 41 of 49
latest reply

I had to look that one up.   😉

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 42 of 49
latest reply

@laststopgeneralstore wrote:

Most "long time" sellers that are leaving, are the ones that continue to do the same thing over and over again while living in the early 2000's/2010's of eBay were you could list canned air and sell it at a premium.

Now, their is a lot more competition, things change, harder to get good items, not everything will sell anymore etc...

If all they did was adapt and take some accountability, they probably would've stayed but god forbid you do that nowadays.

You're right - What they should have done is cave to the sites quest for 30% to 40% of the SELLING PRICE in fees.

What they should have done was list their valuables only to get a return with a rock in a box and count it as "THE COST OF DOING BUSINESS".

What they should have done is keep plugging as just about every seller kudo, service or support shrinks, degrades or goes away while the costs to list increases.

What they should have done is waste more time acting like a serf.

No... There are way to many options out there to spin your wheels here and constantly ADAPT until you hit a point where you just cant adapt no more - I do my own thing(s) and dont have to worry and fret about walking through  the minefield that this site as become, in my most humble opinion of course.

Message 43 of 49
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

20d940a0b704c6c122b9be819834df32a969c684.gif

LOL!

I think there are many sellers now working multiple platforms but the days of "This is what I want pricewise" are definitely on the wane.  There's just too much competition for the dollar (sale) all over the web.

Retail is now actively working to call all sales online and off "Retail" and they are blurring the lines quite intentionally terminology wise.  You may have already guessed, bridge retail law over the Net.  Yes, the lines are blurred when you consider the big retailer options and growing of them in blurring the lines of order online or in store w/ retail in store pickups and returns.  I even read an article related to AI of major retailers being able to deliver in store or to door same day or w/in 24 hours free.  AI is affording pretty big changes in the retailer world in even how people will shop.  Samsung and Apple are both working towards digital glasses that in time be offered freely with the phone/contract deals that revolutionize shopping.  It's the buzz this year versus the past two of the Metaverse using Meta's Quest 3D headsets.  Apparently Apple and Samsung took notice... All really amazing technology albeit who knows how it effects third party sellers long term, will it be a "Get with the program" or sellers become MSDOS vs Windows?

What does crack me up is the WhatNot gig.  I've watched a few handfuls of shows now only to see, "Yes stuff sells faster for less than here" and if they simply applied the that difference here in price it sell here too.  So it appears a complete waste of time.

Message 45 of 49
latest reply