cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS says package delivered, but buyer says they have not received it.

Hi,

Just had a buyer open a case about a package they say they did not receive. USPS tracking says the package was delivered on the 23rd to frontdesk/reception. 

Buyer claims the front desk does not have the package.

I reply that we need to give the post office a few more days, and if not delivered  by Wednesday I would call the local post office.

I got back a reply saying this was unacceptable,and that the matter needed to be resolved ASAP.

I replied that I would call their local post office tomorrow, and asked if they would please double check with the front desk again tomorrow. And I also told them that EBay had policy on these kinds of issues, and I have a set amount of time to resolve the issue.

And that is how it stands at this moment.  I am wondering if I have handled the issue correctly? And how do others handle this kind of issue.

Thanks for any info.

Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Re: USPS says package delivered, but buyer says they have not received it.

Hello Jen, how are you this fine day? sunglasses Agree 1000% (and I should have said might pay earlier). sunglasses We've only had a couple like this and on one we lost all the way. On the other the PO found something wrong with the delivery scan and we won.

On eBay we've only had one lost (Houston area, storm related problem a year later) and by following up quickly ourselves and keeping the buyer happy we had no problems. Claim check was to us in two weeks. sunglasses

"May we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion."
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Message 46 of 60
latest reply

Please don't put other people's words in our mouths, please see my reply to Jen. sunglasses

Dwight D. Eisenhower
Message 47 of 60
latest reply

@sicario_soldado wrote:

Please don't put other people's words in our mouths, please see my reply to Jen. sunglasses

My humble apologies.  My reply was meant for a different post.   Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Message 48 of 60
latest reply

General question about missing packages.

@Anonymous, brian@ebay

Are we allowed to provide the phone number for the buyer's local post office through eBay messaging to assist them with finding a missing package? Will this flag a seller's account for sharing contact info even though it's the number for the shipping carrier?

Good night and good luck
Message 49 of 60
latest reply

@helloandgoodmorning wrote:

General question about missing packages.

@Anonymous, brian@ebay

Are we allowed to provide the phone number for the buyer's local post office through eBay messaging to assist them with finding a missing package? Will this flag a seller's account for sharing contact info even though it's the number for the shipping carrier?

Hi @helloandgoodmorning, it is ok for buyers and sellers to share contacting information after the buyer has paid through eBay checkout, so it is fine to share the phone number for the buyers local post office. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 50 of 60
latest reply

As long as your shipping address is correct and it shows delivered according to my information you have done your part. I always try to file an email or missing package claim with post office -
The only bad rating I ever received was from a buyer that said not delivered - post office did nothing to help.
ebay will NOT take away the review which is not the right thing to do at all. I always try to go the extra mile for the buyer but sometimes you just cant please everyone even if you go out of your way to help.
Message 51 of 60
latest reply

Thank You very much, greatly appreciated! relieved

Dwight D. Eisenhower
Message 52 of 60
latest reply

Hi all!,

Thanks for all the great replies.  I learned a lot.

Final update.

I have not heard from the Buyer since the series of original  messages. My bet is the package was at the office the entire time. So last night I asked eBay to close the case, and they did just that this morning.

Once again, thanks for the support!

RG Tegarden

Message 53 of 60
latest reply

@couldabeenworse wrote:

The buyer IS required to provide a safe, secure shipping address,

First of all, this appears to be an Old Wives Tale.  Secondly, delivery to a staffed front desk is about as safe and secure as an address can be.

Actually from what my Postal worker told me, it depends on the neigborhood.

In safe ones, they will leave it on the porch,

In known unsafe areas, if you do not have a secure place from him to leave it, they won't and will bring it back to the Post Office.

Message 54 of 60
latest reply

@couldabeenworse wrote:

He has no such obligation. He has delivery confirmation showing that it was delivered.

He has exactly the same obligation to cooperate with a carrier claim as a buyer has when he recives damaged goods.  eBay, sadly, does little to enforce either one.

USPS would simply show him the delivery tracking and refuse the claim.

Yet another Old Wives Tale.

If an item arrives damaged that the seller had insurance on, then yes of course you get the Post Office involved and file a claim.

But if the item was delivered and has a scan to prove so, then what else do you expect the Post Office to do after that.  They are going to tell the seller, they delivered as promised.  They will tell the buyer to check with neighbors. In a small town maybe the mailman will try and backtrack to see if he misdelivered.  In a large city, that would be impossible.

Message 55 of 60
latest reply

Instruct the buyer to open an INR.

When they do, upload your tracking into the case,  call and have it closed.

Now they can't leave feedback.

BBL and walk away.

Message 56 of 60
latest reply

@hoosierclearance wrote:

The feedback is a concern of mine. I am pretty new, and a neg would probably hurt my sales. But I also feel like the seller is trying to box me into a refund without giving the post office a bit more time to sort things out.

If they would have said that Wednesday was fine I would of had no problem refunding if no progress by then.  But to open the case late on a Sunday afternoon, and then push for a refund right away just does not feel right to me. 

I guess it comes down to is avoiding a negative feedback worth $65?

I have seen people with 96% feedback get tons of sales, just because they were 2¢ cheaper than sellers with 100% feedback

Message 57 of 60
latest reply

Depending on the size of your package, the customer may already have the package and not know it. I ship smaller items in padded envelopes and I've had customers state that they checked with office and no package there. 

I then tell them to please check in their regular mail and to check with any other housemates who may have gotten mail. This often resolves it.

Message 58 of 60
latest reply

But if the item was delivered and has a scan to prove so, then what else do you expect the Post Office to do after that. 

It's all about signatures.  If presented with a signed statement from the recipient (dated within the claim window) that he did not receive the parcel, they are to pay the insurance claim.  The only "proof of delivery" that would trump that would be a signed statement from the recipient that he DID receive the parcel.

If the tracking, GPS and psychic powers convince USPS that the recipient is committing fraud, that is a matter for Postal Inspectors to investigate.  It is not the sender's business to cut the buyer off from the claim process.

Message 59 of 60
latest reply

"Might be under the desk...."

Or behind the couch cushions where the VCR remote disappeared in '89.

Message 60 of 60
latest reply