cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS says package delivered, but buyer says they have not received it.

Hi,

Just had a buyer open a case about a package they say they did not receive. USPS tracking says the package was delivered on the 23rd to frontdesk/reception. 

Buyer claims the front desk does not have the package.

I reply that we need to give the post office a few more days, and if not delivered  by Wednesday I would call the local post office.

I got back a reply saying this was unacceptable,and that the matter needed to be resolved ASAP.

I replied that I would call their local post office tomorrow, and asked if they would please double check with the front desk again tomorrow. And I also told them that EBay had policy on these kinds of issues, and I have a set amount of time to resolve the issue.

And that is how it stands at this moment.  I am wondering if I have handled the issue correctly? And how do others handle this kind of issue.

Thanks for any info.

Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Re: USPS says package delivered, but buyer says they have not received it.

@hoosierclearance wrote:

I reply that we need to give the post office a few more days, and if not delivered  by Wednesday I would call the local post office.

In my opinion, in cases like this it is best if the buyer calls his own local PO.  Or talks to his carrier.  Because the buyer knows where the package should have been delivered and has the local information that the PO may need to answer any questions about it.  Even better if the buyer can catch up with the carrier who scanned it as delivered.  As soon as possible so the carrier may still remember the package.

You would not have any of that info that would be most helpful in any call about the package.

Message 31 of 60
latest reply

I am in a rural area, that has frequent subs...packages get to other people than they should...we out here sort it out as best we can. We have brought a lot of this to the attention of the 'in-town' PO, to not much avail. It is what it is. OP, it is not a seller problem at all, it is the USPS, or the desk where they dropped it off, or who ever took the package home with them.

Might be under the desk....
Message 32 of 60
latest reply

If the tracking number says delivered by the P.O. and the buyer is complaining that the package is not there, the OP needs to contact the destination P.O. and have them look up on their daily manifest if this package made it to the front desk, it will be in the manifest. Every day they need to account for the packages. If so, this buyer's front desk people have misplaced or lost this item and the SELLER should have ZERO responsinility after that. If it ever comes to it on this site that packages shown on a postal manifest have been delivered and buyers pull a fast one claiming non receipt, That is going to be the end of it for us. Can you imagine what kind of shenanigans could go on with ultra expensive items with this tactic. Amazon is NUTS OUT OF TEIR MIND if they grant refunds on this . You have got to add SIGNATURE TRACKING TO EVERYTHING THERE, and probably here eventually to stop anything like that from happeneing.

Message 33 of 60
latest reply

Forgot to add that if the buyer opens a case, the tracking showing delivered should be all you need, but if is get's complicated just ask Ebay to send you an email where you can upload any info you can get officially from the P.O. like what was on their manifest on the delivery status.

Message 34 of 60
latest reply

Exactly right--if the P.O. shows delivered no insurance claim can be filed. That is NOT the method this OP should be using in this non receipt  case.

Message 35 of 60
latest reply

@keziak wrote:
@lacemaker3 wrote:

@hoosierclearance

As the seller, you are required to get the item delivered to the shipping address that the buyer provided. If the tracking number says delivered, then you have done that.

I would love to hear proof that ebay sides with the seller on this. Amazon most certainly does not. 

There is also the question of whether the OP is concerned about an already annoyed customer leaving negative FB.

This is not Amazon, so Amazon's policies are irrelevent here.

There have been many, many posts from eBay buyers in this situation, whose INR claims were denied because the tracking number had a delivery scan (or even attempted delivery). I have never heard of a case like this which was ever decided in the buyer's favor, so I don't think any more evidence is required. We already know from experience how eBay will decide this.

Negative feedback will be automatically removed if the seller wins the MBG case.

Message 36 of 60
latest reply

@myjunqueyourtreasure wrote:

If the buyer has a decent number of feedback then they already know how a not received works.

Why would you assume that? There's a seller with almost 20,000 feedback who's responded to this thread multiple times, but doesn't know how a "not received" works.

Message 37 of 60
latest reply

Hello OP, hope your doing well. You actually have two things goin' on here to deal with. Your buyer and the post office.

First is your buyer, upset, bully, who knows. As others stated, you did your job, its on the buyer now. Also, USPS has GPS and should be able to confirm how close to the front desk the package actually came. You tried a little customer service which is good too. sunglasses

Second issue, lost package (maybe, respect the buyers claim, but go the extra mile to confirm). Go over to U.S. postal website and start an account, it will be useful now and in the future with problems like this one. I can't tell you time limits on search and insurance, but file what you can as soon as you can. Do the 'Where is My Mail Search', its about the quickest thing you can do at this time. If it comes back delivered at front desk and their GPS also confirms it, now you have double or triple confirmation and the PO won't pay a lost mail claim if it shows delivered.

Good Luck OP, we hope this works for you! sunglasses

"May we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion."
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Message 38 of 60
latest reply

@couldabeenworse wrote:

He has exactly the same obligation to cooperate with a carrier claim as a buyer has when he recives damaged goods.  eBay, sadly, does little to enforce either one.

Exactly what cooperation would that be? He has USPS proof of delivery. USPS has it too.

USPS would simply show him the delivery tracking and refuse the claim.

Yet another Old Wives Tale.

So if your buyer claims INR on a delivered package - you file an insurance claim for him? Is that right?

If the claim is denied - do you then reimburse him yourself?

Message 39 of 60
latest reply

USPS would simply show him the delivery tracking and refuse the claim.

Fake News

Message 40 of 60
latest reply

Exactly what cooperation would that be? He has USPS proof of delivery. USPS has it too.

The carrier's Delivery Confirmation is not, has never been, and never will be Proof of Delivery.  It's amusing that when there is NO delivery scan, sellers assume the carrier made a mistake, but if there IS a scan, it came down the mountain with Moses.

So if your buyer claims INR on a delivered package - you file an insurance claim for him? Is that right?

Of course.  An ethical seller cares whether or not the buyer actually received their goods, not just whether they can weasel out of their obligations.

If the claim is denied - do you then reimburse him yourself?

The only way it would be denied is if the recipient failed to provide a signed statement during the claim period that he did not receive the parcel.  If buyer fails to do that, it's on him.

Message 41 of 60
latest reply

@itsjustasprain wrote:

@couldabeenworse wrote:

If it doesn't show up, your remaining obligation would be to file the insurance claim (if covered) or to provide the buyer with the information needed to do so.

He has no such obligation. He has delivery confirmation showing that it was delivered. Doesnt matter if he bought insurance or not. He has no obligation to file a pointless claim & USPS would simply show him the delivery tracking and refuse the claim.

They will

ay an insurance claim even if it shows delivered but no there is not obligation to file 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 42 of 60
latest reply

Wouldn't you file a lost package report or call the PO before you file an insurance claim? If it was mis-delivered the carrier can attempt to retrieve the package. If that's unsuccessful then you can file an insurance claim.

Good night and good luck
Message 43 of 60
latest reply

Wouldn't you file a lost package report or call the PO before you file an insurance claim?

At least one party should do so in order to more quickly locate the lost parcel, but neither is obligated to.  An insurance claim for priority mail can't be started before 15 days, so it would be wise to get the local post office looking long before that.

Message 44 of 60
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

Exactly right--if the P.O. shows delivered no insurance claim can be filed. That is NOT the method this OP should be using in this non receipt  case.

Exactly wrong. A claim CAN be filed. A delivery scan does not block you from filing a claim. It may cause the claim to be denied the first round but if you appeal & fill out an affidavit, they’ll pay up.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 45 of 60
latest reply