cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transaction Fees And Multiple Items Ordered

I'm sure this is a common complaint, but I can't seem to find any recent threads.

I sell sports cards, and some are very low priced. The eBay trading card shipping is great to keep shipping costs reasonable.

But my issue is with the way eBay handles the processing of buyers purchases. When a buyer doesn't know how to use EBay or doesn't know how to "add to cart" and they buy several items one by one over say a five minute period, sellers get absolutely overcharged.

I just worked with a buyer to sell several cards for $20, assuming the fees would be the usual 13% or whatever. Then the buyer, with 10 feedback, didn't understand he needed to buy all the items at once, and paid for each individually. Most of these cards were $1-$2 cards, and now the individual transaction fees are 40 or 50 cents each, which is ridiculous.

Overall it's not a huge issue for this individual sale, since it's maybe $5 or $10 total. But why does eBay continue to use such a bad transaction system? They need to find a way to make sure buyers UNDERSTAND how to use their constantly more confusing buying process. The fees we pay as sellers are already a bit high, but when these kinds of sales happen it just drives me crazy.

It's a fairly common mistake buyers make, so I don't even blame the buyers. It is incredibly frustrating.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Transaction Fees And Multiple Items Ordered

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

Looks like fact to me. Not sure how eBay could code such things to combine individually purchase payments into one transaction.

Seems that possibly sellers that fall into such a selling arena could have some simple instructions for their buyers to prevent such.

You and Mam dont have a clue if you do not think its is the sites responsibility to have a usable checkout for multiple item purchases from the same seller - Please stop with the bad information when this seller is looking for real help - Add instructions to your description - hahaha - wow...just...wow

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

@robbie31415 wrote:

I want to note that offering free shipping can be part of the problem for you.

Because with free shipping it changes nothing for the buyer if they buy 1 at a time or multiple in a single order.

You could run quantity based shipping promotion to try and encourage multiple items per transaction.

But outside of that, simply because the buyers aren't purchasing how you want doesn't mean they are purchasing incorrectly.

@robbie31415 

Free Shipping shouldn't be a problem for any seller getting multiple orders.  Think about that one a bit.

Very Very few buyers expect a combined shipping discount on listings that have Free Shipping.  IDK why, but very few do.

The seller on the other hand has [or should] the amount of shipping rolled into the price of the item.  So if a seller has to pay a 30 cent transaction fee for each additional purchase, why would that be an issue.  The seller is being paid for FULL shipping on each purchase.  They then ship them all together and make a nice little profit from what they collected for shipping vs what they paid.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 17 of 31
latest reply

@turtles-trading-post wrote:

I understand Eric's issue.  I too sell low priced postal history and first day covers. I count on buyers purchasing multiple items at the same time.  Yes, I get orders for one, two, ten and the maximum of 30 something in one transaction.  

The answer is very simple..  when the buyer hits the "Buy It Now" and the item should be in their cart, the eBay message is  "Pay Now".  There doesn't appear to be any other option so they pay.   eBay used to have / should have / could have a button marked  "Return to Shopping" which would send them back to the list they bought the item from!    One fricken line of code!    

That isn't quite accurate.  When a buyer puts something in their shopping cart they are not forced to pay.  I often have several things in my shopping cart from various sellers or the same seller.  Then I pay for everything all at once or one by one, whichever I choose.  I do use a Desktop or a Laptop.

It isn't "One fricken line of code! ".

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

@isaiah53-57 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

They don't "fix" it because it is not a problem the site is responsible for.  Anymore than when we were in PayPal, the same thing would happen.  It just isn't the site's issue.  Sellers can educate their buyers.  It should be part of your customer service.  Ebay isn't responsible for doing everything for you.

How utterly ridiculous... is anyone else seeing this post??

Everyone on the thread sees the post.  I didn't send it to you in a private message.  

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

You love to get rude on the threads for some reason @isaiah53-57 .  I don't know if it makes you feel better or just the way you respond to other humans in general.

Ebay has useable ways for multiple checkout, but most times it is the issue of the Buyer either not using it or using it incorrectly.  That Ebay can not write a program to fix.

But Sellers on the other hand can help those buyers that don't know or misunderstand the process.  It is call good old customer service.  And you can call me anything you want to, I have helped many sellers over the years on how to easily do this.  Some use it some don't, but all were grateful for the information.  And most became my repeat customer.  Some for years.

Now you may not choose to try and help your customers as they run into this issue, that is your choice to make.  That doesn't make other sellers that choose to help their customers wrong nor does it mean Ebay needs to step in, it mostly means sellers need to step up.

If you are a seller that buyer buy multiple items frequently and they use IPR, then they should consider turning that feature off.  If you are a seller that uses Free Shipping, then as described in my previous post, there should be no problem at all as the seller till makes extra money.

Message 20 of 31
latest reply

A transaction fee is standard among the credit card transaction processors.

Ask your local mom and pop store if they pay a transaction fee every time you buy a cup of coffee and charge it.

Ever see places that charge you 3% (or more) for using your credit card?  Or offer a 3% discount if you pay cash?   Or places that will not take charges under $20.00?   It's all about the fees they have to pay for you to use your credit card.   And those fees include a per transaction fee.

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

I'm saying it as a problem because the seller doesn't like singular purchases.

For eBay all costs should be rolled into each item to be sold individually, which I mentioned earlier.

All I'm saying if this is a problem he could add a 50 cent shipping cost, and then run a shipping promotion such as add 3 items to your cart for free shipping.

This isn't to fix an actual problem, but trying to create encouragement for buyers.

If you offer free shipping on all items then a buyer wouldn't most likely even consider adding more than 1 to the cart each time.

Message 22 of 31
latest reply

@robbie31415 wrote:

I'm saying it as a problem because the seller doesn't like singular purchases.

For eBay all costs should be rolled into each item to be sold individually, which I mentioned earlier.

All I'm saying if this is a problem he could add a 50 cent shipping cost, and then run a shipping promotion such as add 3 items to your cart for free shipping.

This isn't to fix an actual problem, but trying to create encouragement for buyers.

If you offer free shipping on all items then a buyer wouldn't most likely even consider adding more than 1 to the cart each time.

Interesting take.  Not one I agree with but I suppose some sellers don't want single purchases.  I do and the more the merrier.  But for some sellers that sell $1 listings or something like that, selling multiples would be important.

"For eBay all costs should be rolled into each item to be sold individually."  That's on the seller NOT Ebay.  It is the method used when sellers offer Free Shipping and not stated shipping.

IDK, I suppose your solution is one way.  I prefer communicating with my buyer as I have repeatedly gone over on this thread.  It has served me well for over two decades and NOT ONE single complaint from my buyers.  So my vote is for Customer Service by the Seller.  I can tell from this thread that isn't a popular way to handle this, most want to make it an Ebay issue.  For me, I work with my buyer and all is well.

Your take on Free Shipping and multiple purchases isn't really accurate.  Buyers do it all the time.

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@erikscardsandgames 

PayPal had the same 30 cent fee when they were our money processor.  I'm not sure why they didn't get as many complaints here about their 30 cent fee as Ebay does now that they are our processor and charges us the exact same fee.  Just speaking for myself, it is difficult for me to understand why it was OK for PP and not for Ebay.

PayPal also had the option for sellers to elect a micropayment fee if average sales were $10 or less.  This was a $.05 transaction fee and slightly higher final value fee.  Many sellers did NOT pay a 30 cent fee per transaction; they paid a 5 cent fee per transaction.  This lower fee was available when eBay used PayPal for payments before Managed Payments.  It was requested multiple times that eBay offer a micropayment fee option with Managed Payments, but this request was NOT honored.

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

Seems the process is in place, but buyer's are not using it.  

eBay apparently should have a giant buyer warning.

YOU HAVE ALREADY MADE A PURCHASE FROM THIS SELLEL

DO NOT MAKE ANOTHER SEPARATE PURCHASE

COMBINE PURCHASES WHEN BUYING FROM THE SAME SELLER

..... wow... just...  wow

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

The op’s problem isn’t related to the app not having a request total as they already have combined shipping rules set up.  

I skimmed over some of the replies so perhaps this was mentioned already but I think it would help if eBay removed the ‘buy it now’ button so that items had to be added to a cart AND had a ‘continue shopping with this seller’  button rather than just showing a ‘checkout now’ and ‘go to cart’ option.

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

I'll step back a bit and look to the more general source of your dissatisfaction.

Your business model and Ebay's business model are in conflict.

It costs Ebay the same amount to process your order whether your item is $1 or $100, the difference in cost to Ebay is solely in the payments side of the transaction, and you know quite well how much smaller PayPal fees were compared to Ebay fees when PayPal managed payments.

Selling dollar or two dollar items is an opportunity cost for Ebay. Selling common trading cards is always a tough business and Ebay has a minimum transaction fee because without it handling those sales is BAD BUSINESS.

AN IMPORTANT LESSON TO LEARN IS THAT BAD BUSINESS IS WORSE THAN NO BUSINESS.

You get to decide whether business is good or bad for you, and Ebay gets to decide not to engage in BAD BUSINESS. If they lowered the fees, handling your orders would be BAD BUSINESS.

Ebay and other marketplaces are sending a strong message that they want higher priced trading cards, preferably third party graded and sealed.

You and I may not agree, but we cannot change the reality of having to pay more heavily if we sell cheap items.

Message 27 of 31
latest reply

@somanypostcards wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@erikscardsandgames 

PayPal had the same 30 cent fee when they were our money processor.  I'm not sure why they didn't get as many complaints here about their 30 cent fee as Ebay does now that they are our processor and charges us the exact same fee.  Just speaking for myself, it is difficult for me to understand why it was OK for PP and not for Ebay.

PayPal also had the option for sellers to elect a micropayment fee if average sales were $10 or less.  This was a $.05 transaction fee and slightly higher final value fee.  Many sellers did NOT pay a 30 cent fee per transaction; they paid a 5 cent fee per transaction.  This lower fee was available when eBay used PayPal for payments before Managed Payments.  It was requested multiple times that eBay offer a micropayment fee option with Managed Payments, but this request was NOT honored.

That is very true and it is an option that Manage Payments does not and has not offered.  MP was upfront about this.  The fees are clearly stated before and after you entered MP.  So if you weren't aware of them you weren't watching the information in the policies or emails sent.

I completely understand why it is upsetting to sellers that sell like you do.  It was a hot topic on the threads as we were all switching over to MP.  The most popular suggestion was for sellers to make sure an increase the price of their items by about 35 cents to cover fees they weren't use to having to pay.  Or you could do a little less, I think, Micro payments was 5 cents per transaction, I could be wrong on that as it has been a long time.  So if you sell something for $1, you should raise it to $1.35.  You of course are free to do as you see fit.

Now just to be honest with you.  I don't know why any seller would start an auction off for a price that doesn't even cover your selling fees.  That doesn't seem like a recipe for a strong and viable business.  But that is just my opinion and nothing I would ever do.  Breaking even with pricing, yes I've done that.  But I'm not going to pay my buyers to buy my items.  IMHO not a good financial move.

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

Seems the process is in place, but buyer's are not using it.  

eBay apparently should have a giant buyer warning.

YOU HAVE ALREADY MADE A PURCHASE FROM THIS SELLEL

DO NOT MAKE ANOTHER SEPARATE PURCHASE

COMBINE PURCHASES WHEN BUYING FROM THE SAME SELLER

..... wow... just...  wow

That would be so SCARY for both the buyer and the seller !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

That would be so SCARY for both the buyer and the seller !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@mam98031 

I would suggest that it is MORE scary for the buyer who had to put up a payment source for the "New Smoother Checkout" in order to BID and found out they just paid $4.00 each for their 15 auction wins for post cards ($60) instead of having the option to combine all 15 for $6.  Now that is scary, not a good buyer experience, and likely why on the Buyer Board they are asking how to prevent this from happening again. 

It is scary for the seller who just paid .30 x 15  (non-refundable $4.50) for a sale under normal circumstances would be a combined order for one thirty cent transaction fee, and wonders why their combined shipping offer was not utilized. 

It appears to me, that eBay is throwing up different roadblocks make  combined shipping LESS  easy and intuitive.  After all, why should eBay make it easy?  They make more money if they don't.  

'Trend wise'  there are a lot of things going on here now that are SCARY. 

Message 30 of 31
latest reply