cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To ALL the WHINING and to ALL the OUTSTANDING sellers on Ebay.

I wanted to write this for a long time... the GREAT sellers will recognize themselves. The other ones...well... !

I am a BUYER - I buy quite a lot on EBAY - I LOVE EBAY

For the poor whining ones (no sales etc etc etc)

1) Take the time to write a FULL description of what your are selling (If you can't take the time to do that, well laziness will take you nowhere....)

- I am SO TIRED of sellers listing vintage model kits as NEW in the main title. Worse they used the word SEALED in the main title.  Usually it ends up "kit is sealed inside - SEEMS complete". My God what a joke. You still have to ask questions after questions and you can feel how anoyed they become. 

- Older / vintage kits are NOT NEW !! Even shrink wrapped. GOT IT ? Do you need a dictionanry to find out the meaning of something NEW ?

- I prefer to click on a listing that says USED then I read the [intelligent] description that tells me everything about the kit from A to Z. And I BUY.

2) Answer a question from a customer within the hour. Answer with DETAILS.  Do you care that it maybe a SALE ? The way some sellers answer I prefer to pass because a 4 word answer isn't going to cut it. This is not Walmart.

3) Caring about the way you ship things. I have AMAZON PRIME and if I see something I like very often I choose EBAY even if it is going to cost me more because I know that my item(s) will arrive in good condition (Amazon packaging has become worse and worse througout the years - especially with "expensive" books.) YOU can make a difference: charge me a couple $ more, that's okay ! I have stopped buying books on Amazon because each time I had to sent it back due the the fact that is was runned by poor packaging. I never had to return anything on EBAY

I want to thank ALL the FANTASTIC sellers who send me their card, a thank you note with my name on it, who packed my item(s) with a lot of care. I have all saved you as my favorite sellers and will be ordering again and again because you make such a humongeous difference among the zillions sellers. 

That's all I wanted to say. Long live EBAY which has also a great customer service.

Oliver

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: To ALL the WHINING and to ALL the OUTSTANDING sellers on Ebay.

"New" is also a pet peeve of mine when it comes to vintage collectibles, and I rarely list anything as new unless it is current and has all the tags, etc.   An item can be shrink wrapped or sealed, but the packaging shows wear so it is not "new".     I do struggle between new and used when it comes to patterns and fabric - my mother had a lot of them that were still in the bag with the receipt, but had been purchased years ago.   They are neither new nor used - they are unused.   "Rare" and "mint" are also terms I avoid. 

As with other posters - answering questions within an hour just isn't going to happen in my lifetime.  I don't even have a smart phone, and I'm certainly not logged into my computer 24/7.   I think answering a cellphone or texting when engaged in other things like volunteer work or lunch with friends is rude.   Sometimes I'm lucky to be able to answer a question in a day especially if I have to locate the item and take additional pictures.   Besides, not all the questions buyers ask  are worth answering - I generally ignore price reduction offers, and buy one item out of a lot. 

Even with careful packaging - shipping carriers can manage to damage items.  There were tire treads on a box of books I shipped to a customer.  Except for clothing, I also rarely order from Amazon and a lot of catalog companies because of their poor packing.  

Keep on supporting ebay sellers, Oliver!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Tell me your thoughts on the use of NOS. New Old Stock. If it is still shrink wrapped, no matter how old it is, I consider it new, but I didn't think it would bother a buyer because if it's a collectible, they should already know its relative age, and I would list that in the description.

Message 2 of 57
latest reply

Answer all questions in a hour...……………..Oh boy...… Yeah got nothing better to do than hang on eBay 24-7 and answer questions . For a couple of penny sales a month. Now if I could sell expensive stuff safely and make something without getting scammed 2 months latter.
Message 3 of 57
latest reply

cuspidela.jpg

One sale a day, tomorrow the entire Galaxy!
Message 4 of 57
latest reply

Older / vintage kits are NOT NEW !! Even shrink wrapped. GOT IT ? Do you need a dictionanry to find out the meaning of something NEW ?

- I prefer to click on a listing that says USED then I read the [intelligent] description that tells me everything about the kit from A to Z. And I BUY.

I'm not sure how anyone could define an item sealed by the mfg as used...... I can understand the problem with "new", but if defined as Vintage new....that would seem to qualify it as an older item that has NOT been used, which is what buyers, in the needlework kit area, seem to search for.  Used/open could mean items missing  or that the needlework has some stitches "started"...which should certainly be explained by the seller.

Message 5 of 57
latest reply

OP, while I agree with you about the definition of New - I believe that once it has passed out of the hands of the authorized distributor, even with tags attached, it is used.  New should only come from an authorized distributor or someone who got it wholesale from a factory/distributor.  Once it has passed out of the hands of the first retailer - it is no longer new.  So stuff that got bought off the clearance rack and brought home is not new anymore.

And I believe that once ebay realizes that and does something about it, most of their catalog problems will fall into place.

But I am sorry OP, there are times when I can not or will not answer questions within an hour.  I have a life, I am not a bot (which don't often work quickly and efficiently if my gettng notifications from ebay are any indication) AND since ebay reaches a worldwide market, I could get a question from some collector in Japan while I am sleeping because it's thr middle of the night here and it's daytime over there. 

And when life happens, I can't always be in front of my computer.  Such as, later today I am going to donate platelets at the Red Cross, that takes over 3 hours, you are saying that my not answering your question while I am helping cancer patients heal faster is going to cost me a sale?  Really?

While I understand your desire for your perfect world, you need to also understand mine.

(*Bleep*)
Message 6 of 57
latest reply

Morning Oliver,

I am a perfectionist...but it must pay for itself and be played out in the right environment where it is rewarded and encouraged.

Yes...it is encouraged here yet there are many barriers to navigate along the way so many times something has to give.

I personally think that even though many of your concerns have merit it is completely unrealistic to expect this kind of results here on a regular basis because many of those who have or would do as you list would not be selling.

I also think that you will not find this anywhere else otherwise you would most likely already be purchasing there.

Mr C

Message 7 of 57
latest reply

I can understand your desire to have things just as you seem to think they 'should' be.

However, this is not a perfect world.  If it were, you or I would not be here, as we are 'people' and people are about as far from perfect as it is possible to get - of course, that is merely my perfect opinion.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 8 of 57
latest reply

2) Answer a question from a customer within the hour. Answer with DETAILS.  Do you care that it maybe a SALE ? The way some sellers answer I prefer to pass because a 4 word answer isn't going to cut it. This is not Walmart.

I would definitely answer your question within the hour providing I am at home. However if I am away from this computer then I am away from eBay and away from any method of answering your question. And unfortunately I don't have a Stanley here to answer those questions for me if I am not home (only those who watch "Humans" will understand the Stanley comment).  And even if I am home if you ask me a question at 10 pm it is a pretty definite that I will be already in bed and sound asleep so answering within the hour would be impossible.

Message 9 of 57
latest reply

"New" is also a pet peeve of mine when it comes to vintage collectibles, and I rarely list anything as new unless it is current and has all the tags, etc.   An item can be shrink wrapped or sealed, but the packaging shows wear so it is not "new".     I do struggle between new and used when it comes to patterns and fabric - my mother had a lot of them that were still in the bag with the receipt, but had been purchased years ago.   They are neither new nor used - they are unused.   "Rare" and "mint" are also terms I avoid. 

As with other posters - answering questions within an hour just isn't going to happen in my lifetime.  I don't even have a smart phone, and I'm certainly not logged into my computer 24/7.   I think answering a cellphone or texting when engaged in other things like volunteer work or lunch with friends is rude.   Sometimes I'm lucky to be able to answer a question in a day especially if I have to locate the item and take additional pictures.   Besides, not all the questions buyers ask  are worth answering - I generally ignore price reduction offers, and buy one item out of a lot. 

Even with careful packaging - shipping carriers can manage to damage items.  There were tire treads on a box of books I shipped to a customer.  Except for clothing, I also rarely order from Amazon and a lot of catalog companies because of their poor packing.  

Keep on supporting ebay sellers, Oliver!

Message 10 of 57
latest reply

Your french wardrobe has one picture and no measurements.

Message 11 of 57
latest reply

@annindallas wrote:

Your french wardrobe has one picture and no measurements.

And also description  " Antic French wardrobe Louis Phillipe from1850 - RARE "

antic
ˈ
adjective
archaic

1. grotesque or bizarre.

--------------------

Or did the OP mean Antique ?

Message 12 of 57
latest reply

$1, 600.00  for an antic (or antique ) wardrobe listed with no measurements, and only one photo. Really ?

You need to look at the way you list stuff before criticising other sellers..

@buman_51

Message 13 of 57
latest reply

Things that make you go hmm.

Do as I say not do as I do perhaps?
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 14 of 57
latest reply

@partz-n-carz wrote:
Answer all questions in a hour...……………..Oh boy...… Yeah got nothing better to do than hang on eBay 24-7 and answer questions . For a couple of penny sales a month. Now if I could sell expensive stuff safely and make something without getting scammed 2 months latter.

That reminds me of an old joke;

God grant me patience, and please hurry!

Message 15 of 57
latest reply