cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time for eBay to lift their banning of selling fabric face masks

It's time for eBay to lift their banning and canceling auctions for handmade fabric face masks.  

The President of the United States even said they are recommending Americans wear fabric face masks and still continue the social distancing guidelines.  

Wake up eBay, they may not be a perfect solution, but they can't hurt.  People are getting very sick and even dying.  Time to reverse your stance on this.

As far as price gouging, that's up to the buyer on what he/she wants to pay.  No one is making them spend more than they want.  

Message 1 of 649
latest reply
648 REPLIES 648

Re: Time for eBay to lift their banning of selling fabric face masks

Hi, I have tried to get them to "review" this process. It seems to be very arbitrary, unfair, not implemented fully, or downright crooked on their behalf. The continue to post  items but banned me and others from doing so....

If you look at some the prices are at or higher then prices I have posted. Others seem to be from China or other foreign sellers. And another interesting thing some are "preferred" listings in which ebay enrich themselves.

I asked them for an explanation but you know what I got........

Message 151 of 649
latest reply

They did the same to me! I asked for an explanation and to have all restrictions lifted. 

You can guess what the did.....

Message 152 of 649
latest reply

It is also important to understand that a fabric mask does not protect you from getting the virus.  mam 

That isn't 100 % correct  . If a infected person sneezes , coughs or just speaks  within the range of a person wearing a mask  the virus has less of a chance landing on  the nose or mouth   because it's covered up . Wearing a mask  also helps to train people not to touch  their face  which can be transmitted   from hand to face unknowingly .  Tulips 

Message 153 of 649
latest reply

“What I see are people buying masks on the web that are fashionable, but the fabric is thin,” said John Lednicky, an aerovirologist at the University of Florida, who studies how viruses spread through the air. “If the weave is not tight enough, the virus will go right through them.”

Still, he said, a homemade mask “is better than nothing” if it could block some particles expelled by an infected person. But he cautioned that a mask protects only the nose and mouth areas. Another route of transmission is through the eyes. So, again, don’t touch your face or rub your eyes if possible. Info 

Wearing a proper mask that covers both the nose and the mouth can indeed  help to prevent the wearer from being sprayed  with the virus from a infected person .  Just make sure it's a good thickness and fits properly .  Tulips 

Message 154 of 649
latest reply

@turquoisetulips wrote:

It is also important to understand that a fabric mask does not protect you from getting the virus.  mam 

That isn't 100 % correct  . If a infected person sneezes , coughs or just speaks  within the range of a person wearing a mask  the virus has less of a chance landing on  the nose or mouth   because it's covered up . Wearing a mask  also helps to train people not to touch  their face  which can be transmitted   from hand to face unknowingly .  Tulips 

I could have worded that better.  The fabric masks work the best for those that are asymptomatic to wear as it helps to prevent them for releasing droplets into the air.  If a person wearing a fabric mask that is not infected with the virus gets hit by an infected persons droplets, it is unlikely that mask will be able to prevent transmission.  That takes an N95 mask properly fitted to prevent the transmission.

But it is a very good idea to wear them.  It does have enough positives to wear them whenever possible.  Anything that helps is a good think IMHO.

https://www.medicinenet.com/do_face_masks_protect_you_from_the_new_coronavirus/article.htm

https://www.healthline.com/health/coronavirus-mask

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 155 of 649
latest reply

Everyone is being asked to wear cloth masks.

There are 331 million people in the USA WHO NEEDS CLOTH MASKS.

I had my 12.00 cloth masks taken off the site

They claimed price gouging?

REALLY ?

SELLING GRAT ON ETSY

Message 156 of 649
latest reply

Any listing that has mask  in the title or description  gets shut down. 

My 12.00 cloth masks got taken down.

They claimed price gouging

REALLY ? for a handmade cloth mask

Message 157 of 649
latest reply

331 million people in the USA  DO NOT need CLOTH MASKS...only those at high risk need to wear a mask if out of their home.

Those who are self-isolating, social distancing and remaining out of direct contact with others, are not in need of a mask. Wearing Cloth masks is an over-rated hype and most cloth masks are no better than wearing a t-shirt over one's face. Unless persons are putting on and removing face masks properly, there is nothing to be gained by wearing them.

They don’t replace or reduce the need for other protective measures.

Message 158 of 649
latest reply

The same happened to me.

Handmade cloth mask at 12.00 taken down

PRICE GOUGING?

EBAY CUSTOMER SERVICE CANT BE REACHED EITHER.

IF YOU EMAIL THEM YOU GET NO REPLY. 

Message 159 of 649
latest reply

Hi Stephanie, I’ve been sewing masks too and mailing them out to people who need them. I’m finding it’s getting expensive to buy the thread and fabrics now as well. Plus I have to spend time sourcing items. Can’t find 1/4” elastic anywhere up here in Canada! Plus the government has closed all stores except for groceries, banks and gov’t run beer and liquor stores so I have to buy everything online now.

Keep sewing and keep safe!

Message 160 of 649
latest reply

My listing for handmade masks was removed. I was told that eBay is only allowing a certain amount of people making them. I had stated in my add that they were not N95 nor were they medical mask and I was still taken off. When I emailed why was my listing deleted, people are told to wear them and I would then need To go to Etsy and basically I was told to donate to hospitals and good luck. Very upset with response.
Message 161 of 649
latest reply

I've bought my elastic right here on ebay for way more than it's worth. Funny, I can buy what I need to make them on ebay, but can't sell a few so I can keep donating. I have sold a few elsewhere, so I've managed to get myself more fabric. The elastic is the worst to find and I've overpaid for it. The fabric, thread, etc. I've found, but the pickings are getting slim. I find it amazing that you can't hardly get supplies and yet there are still so many in need. I had been sticking to the United way, the hospitals, and nursing homes, but today, I started calling places like the animal shelters, police, and other essential businesses open to see what the need is like. There is still so much need, I wonder if people bought up the supplies to sell them because where are all the masks? Or, to sell the masks and not donate. I'd be happy to sell 5 for every 50-100 I donate. I've been sewing for 5 or more hours per day for weeks. It's been therapeutic for me for some reason and even though I've spent a small fortune, it's so worth it when you give them to people.  Keep up the good work and you stay safe as well!

Message 162 of 649
latest reply

Hi Stephanie, luckily a quilt shop that I frequent is trying to source more elastic for me, so may get more in a couple of weeks.

I haven’t tried selling any masks, mine are the fitted and wired kind and made with a non-woven liner and take a couple of hours to make. I’m still trying to catch up with requests from friends and relatives who really need them. Plus, my eBay business has picked up and I am busy with packing up sewing patterns for mailing from my two eBay stores. Seems like a lot of people are back sewing again now they are at home.

Message 163 of 649
latest reply

I believe it. I hadn't touched my sewing machine for probably a decade before this started. I read even sewing machine sales are up. My local hospital was requesting the ones with pleats, so I was doing those, but did a fitted one like you're describing last night to see how I liked it. I think I like them better, but they do take longer to do. I hope those sales keep up for you!

Message 164 of 649
latest reply

I bought two fabric masks this week on eBay & they have been received.

Message 165 of 649
latest reply