cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time for eBay to lift their banning of selling fabric face masks

It's time for eBay to lift their banning and canceling auctions for handmade fabric face masks.  

The President of the United States even said they are recommending Americans wear fabric face masks and still continue the social distancing guidelines.  

Wake up eBay, they may not be a perfect solution, but they can't hurt.  People are getting very sick and even dying.  Time to reverse your stance on this.

As far as price gouging, that's up to the buyer on what he/she wants to pay.  No one is making them spend more than they want.  

Message 1 of 649
latest reply
648 REPLIES 648

Re: Time for eBay to lift their banning of selling fabric face masks

@mam98031 wrote:

@earlyant-77 wrote:

@elliottbr wrote:
And ebay is cancelling the sale after you submit payment. Tey ordering one and see what happens.

Because they get the FVF's that way.

Not according to the emails they send out.  Ebay refunds the FVF.  Are you suggesting that they are doing something different than they state in their emails?

@earlyant-77 

All of the emails I've read from posts here say EXCEPT the final value fees.

Message 136 of 649
latest reply

Here is one right from this thread:

After reviewing your account, we've had to take the following action:
- Some or all of your listings may have been removed. A list of any removed items will be listed further down in this email.

• We have credited all associated fees except for payments processing fees and the final value fee for your listing(s).
Message 137 of 649
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mam98031 wrote:

@turquoisetulips wrote:
And ebay is cancelling the sale after you submit payment. Tey ordering one and see what happens.

Because they get the FVF's that way. earlyant -77 

So e bay is still making a nice profit off of things they banned people  from  selling  ? How nice for them ..  Tulips 

That isn't quite accurate.  I would imagine if the seller is a repeat offender it would hold true.  But on the normal one time issue, Ebay usually does refund.  I suppose there may be some special circumstances on a first time notice that would be different.

Clarification please.

@Anonymous 

Hi everyone, I can clarify that eBay does automatically credit applicable fees when we end/remove a listing in almost all situations. The credits we apply will be outlined in the related message a seller receives, and we can review for credits that may have been missed if the seller contacts Customer Service.

I wanted to add that we do not automatically process a refund to a buyer for a listing that has been removed. A buyer would need to ask their seller to process a cancellation or otherwise refund, or open a request for an item they do not receive. While we do cancel many times in the sense that we credit the seller's fees, since there is always the chance that the buyer will receive the item they purchased, we won't reverse the payment to the buyer without their request.

Message 138 of 649
latest reply

@earlyant-77 wrote:

- Some or all of your listings may have been removed. A list of any removed items will be listed further down in this email.

• We have credited all associated fees except for payments processing fees and the final value fee for your listing(s).

Removing a listing is different than removing a listing that has a currently active sale on the listing.

If it is just removing a listing, there is no FVF to even be in question.  If it is one with a current transaction on the listing, Trinton explains that in his post.

As for payment processing fees, Ebay doesn't have any control over that when PP is involved.  Trinton also explains this too.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 139 of 649
latest reply

Apparently they are not allowed, my listing for a handmade fabric face mask just got deleted. I am making high quality masks for under $9.00. They said that I was price gouging and that they dont allow the sales of face masks. I've donated 120 masks so far in my home town. I'm just trying to earn some extra cash to pay for materials.
Message 140 of 649
latest reply

@maspe-9193 wrote:
Apparently they are not allowed, my listing for a handmade fabric face mask just got deleted. I am making high quality masks for under $9.00. They said that I was price gouging and that they dont allow the sales of face masks. I've donated 120 masks so far in my home town. I'm just trying to earn some extra cash to pay for materials.

@maspe-9193 

At the time that I made that comment, a few days ago, fabric face masks were allowed.  They have been listed for a long time.  But things are very fluid around here and Ebay has apparently changed their opinion on them and have started removing them.  I'm unsure as to why Ebay made this move, but they did so we have to deal with it.

I'm sorry this happened to you.  I personally think Ebay should leave the fabric masks alone unless the listing is somehow otherwise incorrect or deceptive.

Message 141 of 649
latest reply

@maspe-9193 wrote:
Apparently they are not allowed, my listing for a handmade fabric face mask just got deleted.

No, they are not allowed and haven't been for a month.

Have a great day
Message 142 of 649
latest reply

Thank you. I've been sewing nonstop for weeks and have spent hundreds and I just don't like seeing people accuse people of only wanting to sell for profit. I will never get my money back and that's okay, I have them listed for just over $4 each elsewhere and have sold a few so I went and got new fabric just yesterday. I will keep sewing as long as there is need. It's such a shame people ruin it for others, but when you see someone's face when you hand them a bag of masks, it's worth it. Thanks again!

Message 143 of 649
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@earlyant-77 wrote:

Removing a listing is different than removing a listing that has a currently active sale on the listing.

If it is just removing a listing, there is no FVF to even be in question.  If it is one with a current transaction on the listing, Trinton explains that in his post.

As for payment processing fees, Ebay doesn't have any control over that when PP is involved.  Trinton also explains this too.

I understand the concept. I've ALWAYS understood the concept. I've been here a year and a half longer than you have, so I've also seen everything that happened throughout the years. Stores to core was the first nail.

But a lot are still getting the same email, for listings removed after sold. If you haven't seen them, then you aren't reading everything that is posted thoroughly.

I just wish ebay would sell off the auction part of the site, and whoever buys it doesn't allow new commodities. Leave the auctions for antique, unique, and actual vintage items. And no BIN's. Just real auctions and safe transactions. Maybe one of the two largest sites will buy it to expand to the public, since there are thousands of auction houses that already use those sites. Both offer timed auctions, as do other well-known sites. If you bid and win, and don't pay, you don't get a second chance, let alone a few hundred chances. If you frequent them as much as I do, you develop a relationship where if they hold two or three a month, you can pay for all at the same time - which saves you money on shipping. And you can also send a check, which saves you 3%.

Message 144 of 649
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@maspe-9193 wrote:
Apparently they are not allowed, my listing for a handmade fabric face mask just got deleted.

No, they are not allowed and haven't been for a month.

I might differ with that opinion, I certainly could be wrong, but I think it has only been the past week or so that Ebay has gotten more aggressive about removing these listings.  As I remember it early this month they were still allowed as they were all over the place.  But my memory may be wrong.

Message 145 of 649
latest reply

@earlyant-77 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@earlyant-77 wrote:

I understand the concept. I've ALWAYS understood the concept. I've been here a year and a half longer than you have, so I've also seen everything that happened throughout the years. Stores to core was the first nail.

But a lot are still getting the same email, for listings removed after sold. If you haven't seen them, then you aren't reading everything that is posted thoroughly.

I just wish ebay would sell off the auction part of the site, and whoever buys it doesn't allow new commodities. Leave the auctions for antique, unique, and actual vintage items. And no BIN's. Just real auctions and safe transactions. Maybe one of the two largest sites will buy it to expand to the public, since there are thousands of auction houses that already use those sites. Both offer timed auctions, as do other well-known sites. If you bid and win, and don't pay, you don't get a second chance, let alone a few hundred chances. If you frequent them as much as I do, you develop a relationship where if they hold two or three a month, you can pay for all at the same time - which saves you money on shipping. And you can also send a check, which saves you 3%.

I have no idea how log you have been on Ebay and that really has no bearing on what I said or what was shared with all of us by Trinton.

If a sale isn't involved there is no FVF.  It is likely what it means, but isn't clear enough about, is on listings with multiple items that some sales have occurred on.  It is not crediting the FVFs on those older sales.  IDK, but I do believe Trinton's explanation to be accurate.

There is far more to Ebay than just antiques and collectibles.  And who is to determine what is or isn't unique.  That is pretty subjective.  There are many of us over the years that have help build Ebay that sell outside those categories.

Message 146 of 649
latest reply

fabrics do not protect you from this virus
Message 147 of 649
latest reply

Understand. I'm making home made super nice masks. I don't understand not being able to sell. Public needs these items.
Message 148 of 649
latest reply

@tintaylo-7 wrote:
Understand. I'm making home made super nice masks. I don't understand not being able to sell. Public needs these items.

@tintaylo-7 

You can sell them, just not on Ebay.

Message 149 of 649
latest reply

If eBay life the ban, people can still buy it, there are a whole lot people need those masks out there, they don't even care about the price anymore, what can be more important than their own lives? Do you think $200 worth more than your life? Now eBay bans all the masks, even the people who are willing to buy masks at a high price cannot get it too. This is a cruel world, in this kinda crisis, people with money lives because they can buy expensive masks and prepare for other protections, but eBay just makes the world crueler, the rich cannot buy it too lol. If you feel offended I am sorry, think about it, this is the truth, this is the world we are living in.

Message 150 of 649
latest reply