cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The math doesn't add up

So I made a sale on an item recently for $180. The buyer agreed to pay for shipping. The shipping he paid for was $29.25. eBay's cut from the taxes was $13.60. That's all fine and dandy. I paid for the shipping label(as I understand the shipping payment from the buyer is sent to me to purchase label, got it). The total amount, with shipping cost and taxes was $222.85. However, the total amount I shall receive from this transaction is only $153.19. This math doesn't add up to me. Shouldn't the payout be $180 once you deduct the shipping label cost and eBay collected taxes?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

The math doesn't add up

dont forget ebay fees.  you can find the exact fees they took in the seller hub under the specific item.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

The math doesn't add up

The buyer would have paid YOU $180 for the item, $29.25 for shipping and, if item was being delivered to a state with state sales tax, the amount of that sales tax. (You did not share that info with us).  You would have used $29.25 that the buyer paid you to pay for shipping.  eBay would have deducted the amount of state sales tax, if any, and remitted it to the appropriate state treasury.  eBay's final value fee, 12.9% in most categories, would have been calculated on those three figures and would have been deducted from your final payout.  

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

The math doesn't add up

You can click the link below, find this particular sale and view it to see how your income has been made.

https://www.ebay.com/sh/fin

Hope you finds what you are looking for.

Happy Selling

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

The math doesn't add up

EBay charges fees based on the TOTAL AMOUNT of the sale. Purchase price + shipping + tax minus 12.9 % plus 30 cents per transaction. If you have promoted listings that percentage is taken out as well.  

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

The math doesn't add up

So why don't they include the fees when they break down the taxes and payment? Why do I have to estimate myself? Shouldn't they show a break down of how much I will be receiving after 12.9% eBay receives? 

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

The math doesn't add up

See, eBay doesn't detail all of this within the total sale breakdown. They don't include the 12.9% they take. All I see is $13.60 tax, which eBay collected. Also, they show the $29.25 paid by the buyer for shipping. But there's no breakdown of the 12.9% fee they receive. That needs to be rectified. I think it would be fair to the seller how much they'll receive and a breakdown of everything.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

The math doesn't add up

Thanks. I've been here already and the math still doesn't add up. I'll wait a few days since I still have a few payments processing, so maybe it'll make a little more sense once that goes through.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

The math doesn't add up

Rough numbers, $153 sounds about right.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

The math doesn't add up

click on your order details for that transaction. Ebay does break it down for you at the bottom right of the page page.Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 3.13.56 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-12-29 at 3.12.26 PM.png

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

The math doesn't add up

It is all easy to figure (at least an approximate amount). 

Add Item + Shipping and then multiply by .87 (that is point 87).

That will give you, very close, to what you will receive for this item and any other item you will sell. 

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

The math doesn't add up

Am I losing my mind or was this posted on the selling board?  I realize it has the word "shipping" in it but it is not a shipping question.   I hate playing hide and seek with posts.

The the OP, the fees are itemized in a couple places.  One place is click on your sold item in your financial summary and they display the math there.   Your payout will always reflect any shipping costs and final value fees deducted, and of course, we don't get the sales tax.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

The math doesn't add up

all that you seek is there....click those little arrow icons by amounts....

after you click the drop down it looks something lke this:

@ebay-fees-matt.jpg

most of the time "...they add up..."

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

The math doesn't add up

How much did it actually cost to ship the item?  I usually build the eBay fee into what I charge for shipping.

Just "back of the envelope" calculation:

$222.85 - (222.85*12.9%) = $194.10

$194.10-29.25 shipping = $164.85

164.85 - (180*0.07 sales tax) = $152.25

Sales tax must be less than 7% wherever the buyer lives.  But yeah, sounds about right to me.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

The math doesn't add up

How did you think you would end up with 180.00 if that was the item cost?  Didn't you know you had to pay selling fees?

On the help pages there is a section on selling fees. Also, as others have pointed out, you can see a breakdown of your earnings.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply