cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The New Return Policy and May Ruin Some Sellers

What Ebay should understand that majority of Good and Honest Sellers are not against taking returns from Good and honest Buyers. The Problem is that honest on the buyers part is decided by the click of a button which even if the buyer is not a scammer or thief he maybe a liar who does not want to pay return shipping. The worst part that we as sellers Fear is that we will accepts a return and get something totally differnt from what is sent out. Not all Buyers can absorb free returns because we don't buy in bulk at sweat show prices.

Now sellers

Lets Just say there are certain sellers who will be suffering from returns more than others. If you sell Clothing, Shoes, Hats, Bags, Jewelry, Video games, Movies or anything that can be used for a short term basis or one time event you are going to get returns. I would not be surprised if people will buy food items use some and send it back lol. Seriously though a lot of sellers will be paying people to rent their items. Clothes and other Accessories may be worn to events and then returned. The maybe returned with stains or tears. Video games will played and reurned by shady buyers,Camera equipment or computers maybe rented for events. I think this could be a new service Ebay offers Rental of these items but must comeback in the same condition thats a business idea right there Lol.

Buyers who have small Profit margins will suffer Example if you sell a shirt for $13 pay 3 buck to ship it you make $4 in profit. Buyers returns for whatever reason you pay 3 buck to take it back then that's 6 buck leaves now with a $1 profit to make and if you do relist it again and have to pay another $3 to ship it you are now paying someone to take the shirt with a probiliity of it being returned again. Now if this is a seller who only sell small priced items and this happen a few times in a single week or month we know what will happen.

Things to look for if a buyer buy three shoes are 3 bags from you at once its a very high possibility that one or two may be coming back.

Some sellers on Youtube say they actually decided to test the 30day free returns to see how it will work for them if the actually discided to accept returns. None of them actually got increase sales they only got increased returns. And that was a no brainer right there

Sellers just need to evolve with the times and come up with new strategies as ebay changes some things you should just stay away from or adjust with it the best way you can

Message 1 of 113
latest reply
112 REPLIES 112

Re: The New Return Policy and May Ruin Some Sellers

Cute story about Poshmark:

My 17-year-old daughter and all of her friends shop there.  It's the new trendy thing!  I told her I'd give it a try.  So, she says "a lot of my friends shop 'the bins' to find things to sell on PM.  We need to find out where 'the bins' are and do that."

I had to remind her that 'the bins' means the Goodwill Outlet center.  The one and only time I took her with me 6 years ago, she wouldn't get near any of "those dirty, smelly, carts with all the sketchy people around them."  Now it's trendy with her friends and she can't wait to go.

Yes, PM can be time consuming with all the social network shares you're suppose to do.  I made a deal with my daughter that I would do all the listing, selling and shipping if she would do the social media stuff for a cut of the sales.  She's on her phone 24/7 so she might as well make money while she's there.

She did hurt my feelings, though.  She told me we should use her profile to sell under because PM buyers are all 'young' and might not want to buy from an 'old' person like me!  Looks like her percentage of the sales will be a smaller cut!

Message 91 of 113
latest reply

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

@theseeker_jamrock wrote:

What Ebay should understand that majority of Good and Honest Sellers are not against taking returns from Good and honest Buyers. The Problem is that honest on the buyers part is decided by the click of a button which even if the buyer is not a scammer or thief he maybe a liar who does not want to pay return shipping. The worst part that we as sellers Fear is that we will accepts a return and get something totally differnt from what is sent out. Not all Buyers can absorb free returns because we don't buy in bulk at sweat show prices.

Now sellers

Lets Just say there are certain sellers who will be suffering from returns more than others. If you sell Clothing, Shoes, Hats, Bags, Jewelry, Video games, Movies or anything that can be used for a short term basis or one time event you are going to get returns. I would not be surprised if people will buy food items use some and send it back lol. Seriously though a lot of sellers will be paying people to rent their items. Clothes and other Accessories may be worn to events and then returned. The maybe returned with stains or tears. Video games will played and reurned by shady buyers,Camera equipment or computers maybe rented for events. I think this could be a new service Ebay offers Rental of these items but must comeback in the same condition thats a business idea right there Lol.

Buyers who have small Profit margins will suffer Example if you sell a shirt for $13 pay 3 buck to ship it you make $4 in profit. Buyers returns for whatever reason you pay 3 buck to take it back then that's 6 buck leaves now with a $1 profit to make and if you do relist it again and have to pay another $3 to ship it you are now paying someone to take the shirt with a probiliity of it being returned again. Now if this is a seller who only sell small priced items and this happen a few times in a single week or month we know what will happen.

Things to look for if a buyer buy three shoes are 3 bags from you at once its a very high possibility that one or two may be coming back.

Some sellers on Youtube say they actually decided to test the 30day free returns to see how it will work for them if the actually discided to accept returns. None of them actually got increase sales they only got increased returns. And that was a no brainer right there

Sellers just need to evolve with the times and come up with new strategies as ebay changes some things you should just stay away from or adjust with it the best way you can

Hi @theseeker_jamrock, from what we've seen, going from 14-days return to 30-days return increases the chances to sell items by 30%. The option to offer a refund partial refunds if a buyer returns an item damaged. While this may not be the case for every business, it's worth testing for at least one quarter in the year to gauge the pros and cons. This provides good data to compare against other quarters to see what impact it had on the business. Sellers are not required to offer free returns, so each business will need to consider if this feature is right for them.

Brian,
Community Team
Message 92 of 113
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@theseeker_jamrock wrote:

Hi @theseeker_jamrock, from what we've seen, going from 14-days return to 30-days return increases the chances to sell items by 30%. The option to offer a refund partial refunds if a buyer returns an item damaged. While this may not be the case for every business, it's worth testing for at least one quarter in the year to gauge the pros and cons. This provides good data to compare against other quarters to see what impact it had on the business. Sellers are not required to offer free returns, so each business will need to consider if this feature is right for them.

Guess what I have accepted Returns and the Buyer still chose SNAD and even when i got the item back I proved it was a lie I lost the case.

Another situation I accepted a return buyer said phone could not work on their network phone came back dead and never turned on again buyer said maybe because he had left the package in the sun. I lost the case.

Ebay told me both times that they don't see the actual item so they cannot say what the buyer got.

And What you are saying about Returns and sales increase is completly opposite from what top rated sellers are saying who have tested this out for 30 days prior to June 1 they got no increase in sales but increase in returns. And it makes sense why would a particular seller get increase in sales when everyone is offering free returns.

When I buy on Ebay I look for 3 things:

Cost of the Item

Reliable Seller

Delivery date

I almost never look at return policy because I know once the item is as decribed I am happy and if its not return policly or not its going back.

As I said its not that sellers don't want to accept returns but the issue is what Ebay does when we are scammed using the Money Back Guarantee and Ebay Returns. You have reps telling us they can see that they can see its buyers remorse but they cannot do anything. That what we have a problem with not the Good honset buyers who wants to return something for the right reasons. I all the time I sold on ebay only 1 buyer said they made a mistake and did not look at the listing properly

Message 93 of 113
latest reply

The partial refund does not appear to be eligible for many categories like clothing and jewelry which is often "rented " for an occasion and returned soiled or broken - so this feature does not benefit many sellers on this forum. Correct me if I'm wrong - please.

Message 94 of 113
latest reply

• @astoriavamary wrote:
    B & M sellers have the option to not take a return. Selling on eBay does not offer that option so the seller gets hurt and comparing the B & M to eBay sales is misleading.

B&M sellers face irate buyers and relaliation from buyers using local and social media sources not to mention the possibility of damages to buildings and other inventory and lets not forget small claims court opportunities and remember the bully uncle john that can pound a head into a nail with a stare.  The comparison is valid because both example are selling to consumers, but I understand not everyone can think through the issue past the obvious.

The real choice of no returns for B &M are much less than you might suggest.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 95 of 113
latest reply

THEY TOOK MY TOP RATED BADGE AWAY ON MY MEDIA ITEMS. SAID I HAVE TO DO FREE RETURNS ON MEDIA CDS VHS CASSETTE DVD BOOKS, ITS A **bleep** FREE RENTAL SERVICE OR LOSE SALES, MY CHOICE. PUNISHING THE SELLERS MORE & MORE AGAIN AND AGAIN THINK WE HAVE A SADIST RUNNING THE SHOW OR SO...

Message 96 of 113
latest reply

The New Return Policy and May Ruin Some Sellers

It will.  And the worst part is that it won't necessarily have anything to do with whether they're a good seller, or a "bad" one, either. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 97 of 113
latest reply

Hi @theseeker123, from what we've seen, going from 14-days return to 30-days return increases the chances to sell items by 30%.

That's the funniest thing I've read here in weeks! 

The only way that's true is if eBay has decided to rig search to show the 14 day return listing to 30% less buyers.

Message 98 of 113
latest reply

I don't know about the all the crazy policies they are doing but I have pictures of everything I send to everyone. And when they click buy they click on that object. So there is a picture of what they bought. I specify no refunds unless item is returned exactly as shipped and its a shame I have to take a picture of it in the packaging. You can't give out free stuff. I used to sell year ago so I got used to the tricks. Like we pay and don't get and they go out of business but us honest people get boinked.

Message 99 of 113
latest reply

All online returns are legitimate returns. 

Return fraud is a serious and growing problem across all of retail.  It's even worse online.  That's like saying all B&M shoppers are legitimate, including the ones who "just forgot to pay for it".

Just because some big box have changed there stance on free return shipping does not mean they will not see declines in sales in the months ahead.  They understand the liberal returns policies they once had brought in a lot more business and now they are gauging based on the reversal exactly how much decline they will experience.

Free Returns is a policy adopted to help increase GMV and grow their market share.  That is no doubt what eBay is thinking here as well.  Amazon has enormous market share, but they were willing to lose money on selling merchandise for a couple of decades to get that market share.  The people who are reversing direction on this know full well they'll see a decline in gross GMV, although it won't be anything huge. 

Business is about profit.  For most retail, margins are slim, and if they can eliminate some returns and some of the cost of those that remain, the loss in GMV will still result in more profit.  They're trying to get rid of the slice of GMV that actually ends up losing them money.  The problem at eBay is they get the fees from the increased GMV, but they aren't the ones losing money on the sales.   What they seem to fail to realize is they'll bankrupt their sellers (or drive the better ones elsewhere) with this thinking. 

Your post shows very short term low level business thinking habits... on the part of eBay.  Their money comes from fees sellers pay, and sellers are not going to pay eBay fees to lose money just so eBay can grow market share. 

This is about as basic a two steps forward one step back approach to growing online sales and gaining valuable buyer retention info they can use moving forward.

What is "buyer retention info"?  Are you suggesting they don't really have the "data" they just cited to us, and they're doing live marketing research using their sellers' inventory to pay for it? 

To quote a famous "Seller Advocate", some customers are not worth having.  As it turns out, this was misunderstood, and was actually one of the few times someone at the Home Office admitted sellers were the customer around here.  But it applies to buyers too, and eBay is going to end up with the highest concentration of those buyers anywhere if they persist in staying on this track - especially with other venues making a concerted effort to rid themselves of them.  Since they aren't bearing the direct cost of those buyers, I guess they don't think it's their problem.  But they are wrong, because sellers aren't going to pay them fees to lose money, certainly not 40% higher fees!  If they want to lose money to gain market share, they're going to need to buy their own inventory to do it with, like Amazon did.

Message 100 of 113
latest reply

@ted_200 wrote:

All online returns are legitimate returns. 

Return fraud is a serious and growing problem across all of retail.  It's even worse online.  That's like saying all B&M shoppers are legitimate, including the ones who "just forgot to pay for it".

Just because some big box have changed there stance on free return shipping does not mean they will not see declines in sales in the months ahead.  They understand the liberal returns policies they once had brought in a lot more business and now they are gauging based on the reversal exactly how much decline they will experience.

Free Returns is a policy adopted to help increase GMV and grow their market share.  That is no doubt what eBay is thinking here as well.  Amazon has enormous market share, but they were willing to lose money on selling merchandise for a couple of decades to get that market share.  The people who are reversing direction on this know full well they'll see a decline in gross GMV, although it won't be anything huge. 

Business is about profit.  For most retail, margins are slim, and if they can eliminate some returns and some of the cost of those that remain, the loss in GMV will still result in more profit.  They're trying to get rid of the slice of GMV that actually ends up losing them money.  The problem at eBay is they get the fees from the increased GMV, but they aren't the ones losing money on the sales.   What they seem to fail to realize is they'll bankrupt their sellers (or drive the better ones elsewhere) with this thinking. 

Your post shows very short term low level business thinking habits... on the part of eBay.  Their money comes from fees sellers pay, and sellers are not going to pay eBay fees to lose money just so eBay can grow market share. 

This is about as basic a two steps forward one step back approach to growing online sales and gaining valuable buyer retention info they can use moving forward.

What is "buyer retention info"?  Are you suggesting they don't really have the "data" they just cited to us, and they're doing live marketing research using their sellers' inventory to pay for it? 

To quote a famous "Seller Advocate", some customers are not worth having.  As it turns out, this was misunderstood, and was actually one of the few times someone at the Home Office admitted sellers were the customer around here.  But it applies to buyers too, and eBay is going to end up with the highest concentration of those buyers anywhere if they persist in staying on this track - especially with other venues making a concerted effort to rid themselves of them.  Since they aren't bearing the direct cost of those buyers, I guess they don't think it's their problem.  But they are wrong, because sellers aren't going to pay them fees to lose money, certainly not 40% higher fees!  If they want to lose money to gain market share, they're going to need to buy their own inventory to do it with, like Amazon did.

Exactly. It's like the new owner of a dive bar letting everyone back in that was thrown out by the previous owner(and thrown out of every other bar in town) and then wondering why they now have so many problems.

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

Most bad buying experiences when looked at in depth are folks wanting champagne and running on a beer budget. A certain item has a average selling price of $49.95 someone snags a deal for $12.99 with a few flaws,but expects it to be in the $49.95 condition upon arrival and suffers a hugemanatee when it arrives......

With all due respect, bubbleman, that generalization isn't always true.  While that might be the case at times, the price is usually irrelevant as it usually boils down to the item not being in the condition specified by the seller, which can be further exacerbated by the scamming buyer attitude and offensive, abusive strings of messages thereafter.  A less expensive price doesn't mean the buyer shouldn't expect the description to be accurate.

If, in your example, the $12.99 item is accurately described, then no issues would occur~because the buyer would have been made aware of the flaws pre-sale.  BUT if the description is clearly lacking and inaccurate upon receipt of the item, then it doesn't matter what price the buyer paid~it is not as described.

But you have the issue where buyers at times do not read the description, title or look at the pictures and pull the trigger on the purchase. I sell in parts and accessories, you know how many times I get people that will not read my titles where I have the years of the vehicles in them and will purchase for the wrong year? I even use the compatibility chart that covers the years the parts are compatible for, still I get people not paying attention.

i think there are as many bad buyers as there are sellers on here, plain and simple.

For your 12.99 example, I sold a tail light for $13 a few weeks back as I was trying to clear out some inventory. I knowingly sold it at a loss to unload for space reasons, yet the buyer contacts me asking why the bulbs weren’t included, yet I don’t mention bulbs being included and if they looked at my pics, which is also key, there were no bulbs.

I had another person last week keep asking questions about another tail light I had for $65. The darn thing will cost me $20 plus to ship to Cali. After answering all their questions over a three day period they try to lowball me for $30. I was willing to take a few dollars off to help them out but $30 plus I’d have to pay for shipping is a bit much. That is the problem with some people. I can write a book about my experiences here over the last 14 yrs.

Message 102 of 113
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

I think a  lot of this has to do with seller frustration and the fact some people don't really care anymore. I try to be the best seller by listing all imperfections no matter how small - putting in measurements - ect - whether it be clothing or a collectible. If the edge of a collectible box is dinged a little - it's mentioned with a close up - whether it's selling for $3.99 or $399.00.

We have new sellers who have no idea what they are doing and older sellers who are just trying to get rid of merchandise.

Yes, you are right, and I know that some buyers just don't take personal responsibility for what they are doing or have done.  Some don't read the listing, or vet the seller,  or do their due diligence after they buy.  Some sellers may not feel compelled to throw up an accurate listing or check the item thoroughly.  Some on either side may take advantage.

I know you are a person of integrity and are meticulous in your listings and business decisions and contact.

Yes, new sellers may not know what they are doing, new buyers may not, either.

Older sellers may just be trying to move merchandise.  

There is great frustration on both sides, buyer and seller, sadly.  

Message 103 of 113
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

There's a youtube video from a popular seller who always promotes Ebay. He made a video in the hopes someone at Ebay would see it. In it he describes a situation many have had here. A buyer asks to return an item and you get back something different than what was sent.

In his case it was a $167 speaker and he received a $1 Store earbud back. He called Ebay to dispue this and they ruled in the buyer's favor. He called and appealed and again they ruled in the buyer's favor. Being he does so much business on several platforms - he can absorb the cost - but he knows how many small and part time sellers there are here who could not afford a loss like that and he wants Ebay to put something in place to make this right as other venues handle the same situation differently. He's not my favorite vlogger - but he gained a few points with his concern for small or part time sellers.

That is just horrible!  What a rip off!

Message 104 of 113
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

Most bad buying experiences when looked at in depth are folks wanting champagne and running on a beer budget. A certain item has a average selling price of $49.95 someone snags a deal for $12.99 with a few flaws,but expects it to be in the $49.95 condition upon arrival and suffers a hugemanatee when it arrives......

With all due respect, bubbleman, that generalization isn't always true.  While that might be the case at times, the price is usually irrelevant as it usually boils down to the item not being in the condition specified by the seller, which can be further exacerbated by the scamming buyer attitude and offensive, abusive strings of messages thereafter.  A less expensive price doesn't mean the buyer shouldn't expect the description to be accurate.

If, in your example, the $12.99 item is accurately described, then no issues would occur~because the buyer would have been made aware of the flaws pre-sale.  BUT if the description is clearly lacking and inaccurate upon receipt of the item, then it doesn't matter what price the buyer paid~it is not as described.

What about the listings where the flaws etc ARE described accurately and item priced appropriately yet you still get buyers trying to haggle a deal "because of the xxxx"?

yme, I am not saying that that doesn't happen, and I find it deplorable.  Sadly there are problems on both sides of the equation.  I just don't think the idea that the cost was low makes it acceptable to post an inaccurate description because the thought is it shouldn't matter to the buyer because they didn't pay much, anymore than no returns means no SNADs.  No matter the cost, the listing should reflect the true condition, and I believe there would be less problems for both sides of the equation if the listing did so, in spite of the fact that yes, some buyers may still have an issue with an accurate listings.  Although this may be true, that doesn't mean the listing doesn't need to be accurate because this might happen

JMO!.  

Message 105 of 113
latest reply