cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The New Return Policy and May Ruin Some Sellers

What Ebay should understand that majority of Good and Honest Sellers are not against taking returns from Good and honest Buyers. The Problem is that honest on the buyers part is decided by the click of a button which even if the buyer is not a scammer or thief he maybe a liar who does not want to pay return shipping. The worst part that we as sellers Fear is that we will accepts a return and get something totally differnt from what is sent out. Not all Buyers can absorb free returns because we don't buy in bulk at sweat show prices.

Now sellers

Lets Just say there are certain sellers who will be suffering from returns more than others. If you sell Clothing, Shoes, Hats, Bags, Jewelry, Video games, Movies or anything that can be used for a short term basis or one time event you are going to get returns. I would not be surprised if people will buy food items use some and send it back lol. Seriously though a lot of sellers will be paying people to rent their items. Clothes and other Accessories may be worn to events and then returned. The maybe returned with stains or tears. Video games will played and reurned by shady buyers,Camera equipment or computers maybe rented for events. I think this could be a new service Ebay offers Rental of these items but must comeback in the same condition thats a business idea right there Lol.

Buyers who have small Profit margins will suffer Example if you sell a shirt for $13 pay 3 buck to ship it you make $4 in profit. Buyers returns for whatever reason you pay 3 buck to take it back then that's 6 buck leaves now with a $1 profit to make and if you do relist it again and have to pay another $3 to ship it you are now paying someone to take the shirt with a probiliity of it being returned again. Now if this is a seller who only sell small priced items and this happen a few times in a single week or month we know what will happen.

Things to look for if a buyer buy three shoes are 3 bags from you at once its a very high possibility that one or two may be coming back.

Some sellers on Youtube say they actually decided to test the 30day free returns to see how it will work for them if the actually discided to accept returns. None of them actually got increase sales they only got increased returns. And that was a no brainer right there

Sellers just need to evolve with the times and come up with new strategies as ebay changes some things you should just stay away from or adjust with it the best way you can

Message 1 of 113
latest reply
112 REPLIES 112

Re: The New Return Policy and May Ruin Some Sellers

I had that one coming   ! LOL!   

Message 46 of 113
latest reply

Most bad buying experiences when looked at in depth are folks wanting champagne and running on a beer budget. A certain item has a average selling price of $49.95 someone snags a deal for $12.99 with a few flaws,but expects it to be in the $49.95 condition upon arrival and suffers a hugemanatee when it arrives......

Message 47 of 113
latest reply

I meant Legitimate  Returns.

Message 48 of 113
latest reply

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

Most bad buying experiences when looked at in depth are folks wanting champagne and running on a beer budget. A certain item has a average selling price of $49.95 someone snags a deal for $12.99 with a few flaws,but expects it to be in the $49.95 condition upon arrival and suffers a hugemanatee when it arrives......

With all due respect, bubbleman, that generalization isn't always true.  While that might be the case at times, the price is usually irrelevant as it usually boils down to the item not being in the condition specified by the seller, which can be further exacerbated by the scamming buyer attitude and offensive, abusive strings of messages thereafter.  A less expensive price doesn't mean the buyer shouldn't expect the description to be accurate.

If, in your example, the $12.99 item is accurately described, then no issues would occur~because the buyer would have been made aware of the flaws pre-sale.  BUT if the description is clearly lacking and inaccurate upon receipt of the item, then it doesn't matter what price the buyer paid~it is not as described.

Message 49 of 113
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh wrote:

@castlemagicmemories Wrote:

”...Yes, there are some buyers who buy with the idea of returning.  But many also just want what they bought in the condition specified...”

Well written post. Thank you for drawing attention to the other side of the coin. I have had some poor buying experiences too and it is a real disappointment. 

Possibly many sellers really believe that no returns mean just that, and think they are protected against taking inaccurately described items back, since they don't know how the MBG works.  

Or they just hope the buyer will not pursue a return because they said, no returns.

Message 50 of 113
latest reply

I have to agree castle - I've seen more stories by people who I've known for years on both this platform and Facebook groups that have had poor buying experiences on not just this but other venues as well. 

We have many long time sellers that just want to get rid of their inventory and are less than forth coming on the actual condition of the item. You can check feedback - ask questions and scrutinize pictures and still have a less than happy buying experience.

Message 51 of 113
latest reply

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

I've had a few less than stellar experiences buying on eBay (and elsewhere), the issues were 100% due to incompetence (or worse) by the sellers in question.

My only expectation is that I get what I ordered as promised by the merchant, the value of the item is TOTALLY irrelevant and in my experience high or low volume sellers with a lot or a little previous selling history means nothing. Both can provide equally good or bad experiences.

Message 52 of 113
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

I've had a few less than stellar experiences buying on eBay (and elsewhere), the issues were 100% due to incompetence (or worse) by the sellers in question.

My only expectation is that I get what I ordered as promised by the merchant, the value of the item is TOTALLY irrelevant and in my experience high or low volume sellers with a lot or a little previous selling history means nothing. Both can provide equally good or bad experiences.

I totally agree.  Price is irrelevant and to suggest that a low price means you take what you get is erroneous.  No matter what they pay, the buyer should receive the item in the condition specified.  One can try to justify it as champagne taste on a beer barrel budget, but I think that is largely false, no offense to the bubbleman there.

You are right~it doesn't matter whether it is a high or low volume seller, or if they are TRS.  In fact, there are buyers who feel TRS means nothing; you have no greater chance of a successful transaction than if you bought from a rank amateur newbie seller.  

Message 53 of 113
latest reply

I think a  lot of this has to do with seller frustration and the fact some people don't really care anymore. I try to be the best seller by listing all imperfections no matter how small - putting in measurements - ect - whether it be clothing or a collectible. If the edge of a collectible box is dinged a little - it's mentioned with a close up - whether it's selling for $3.99 or $399.00.

We have new sellers who have no idea what they are doing and older sellers who are just trying to get rid of merchandise.

Message 54 of 113
latest reply

@carlmarxx wrote:

I meant Legitimate  Returns.

I know - but how could I pass that one up? Smiley LOL

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

With all due respect, bubbleman, that generalization isn't always true.  While that might be the case at times, the price is usually irrelevant as it usually boils down to the item not being in the condition specified by the seller, which can be further exacerbated by the scamming buyer attitude and offensive, abusive strings of messages thereafter.  A less expensive price doesn't mean the buyer shouldn't expect the description to be accurate.

If, in your example, the $12.99 item is accurately described, then no issues would occur~because the buyer would have been made aware of the flaws pre-sale.  BUT if the description is clearly lacking and inaccurate upon receipt of the item, then it doesn't matter what price the buyer paid~it is not as described.

And if they bought from a 'product page'?

if a description is lacking in specificity, but accurate in terms of what is disclosed, the item is actually as described. I sometimes see experienced ebay sellers list items without providing any dimensions, & fail to disclose the material of which the item has been manufactured.

Item size & material vary, & greatly influence price and desirability. The listing photos are of no help. So the seller has left It to the potential buyer to make inquiry if what is lacking in specificity is of importance to that buyer.

Message 57 of 113
latest reply

@pauls-parts wrote:

No You are incorrect. You can no longer fight snads. And if you sell less than 40 items on amazon you do not need a tax id or license. You check your info.

Sorry, but you can fight SNAD. I've done it on this account, didn't even have to accept the return and appeal it. A forum member that I know also got one closed just about 4 days ago. She also didn't have to take the return and appeal. It is possible, it's not easy, but it's possible.

Also, where did I say that you need a tax id for less than 40 items. I said you don't need one for more than 40 either. I never said you needed one at all when, no matter how much you sell there, do you not need one at all. So, my facts are just fine, thank you very much.

Message 58 of 113
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

Correct - Ebay is pretty much forcing free returns on sellers. Being I primarily sell clothing - I've been checking out different venues to move those items too. One gives the buyer 3 days to start a return after delivery - they are also very strict on returns and investigate each claim wherin the buyer has to file a complaint - send pictures and a report detailing why the item is SNAD. Another offers free shipping and free returns - but only if the buyer spends $79 - anything less and the buyer pays shipping and return shipping - and yet many of these venues are doing a brisk business. I tend to agree with what was said above - not all buyers care if there is free shipping and free returns. They just want the latest and greatest styles or quality items and are willing to pay shipping - both from the venue and in case of a return. They don't need 30 days to decide if they like it.

I have free shipping mostly on my items that are heavier - like shoes, jeans ect.. but the majority of my sales are items weighing 16oz or less - where I do have a shipping charge. 

I have been looking into the same site as you.  I have watched a number of comparison YouTube videos comparing it to ebay, and I think I will start selling clothes there.  Not only do I like the 3 day return, but you can only return it if the seller has made a mistake, like giving the wrong size, or sending something with a large hole that wasn't identified in the listing.  Apparently, they side with the seller about 95% of the time.  And the buyer always pays for shipping. 

My teenage daughter has purchased a number of items from there and is very happy.  She and her friends don't even look at ebay.  Apparently it's the trendy place to go for younger buyers.

Message 59 of 113
latest reply

Bottom line is with most of us ebay sellers Returns just don't fit in this business model; not for me anyway.  My items are gently used and i have only one of each.  It's just not profitable with all the work that goes into listing each item for a small margin and then have up and down sales and turn around and process returns.  And to take a return for free on 2-3 lb items?  Doesn't work for me!  Maybe if they could get with the program and make a deal like PM site and we only pay $6.95 up to a 5lb item then it wouldn't hurt so much!

Message 60 of 113
latest reply