cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The New Return Policy and May Ruin Some Sellers

What Ebay should understand that majority of Good and Honest Sellers are not against taking returns from Good and honest Buyers. The Problem is that honest on the buyers part is decided by the click of a button which even if the buyer is not a scammer or thief he maybe a liar who does not want to pay return shipping. The worst part that we as sellers Fear is that we will accepts a return and get something totally differnt from what is sent out. Not all Buyers can absorb free returns because we don't buy in bulk at sweat show prices.

Now sellers

Lets Just say there are certain sellers who will be suffering from returns more than others. If you sell Clothing, Shoes, Hats, Bags, Jewelry, Video games, Movies or anything that can be used for a short term basis or one time event you are going to get returns. I would not be surprised if people will buy food items use some and send it back lol. Seriously though a lot of sellers will be paying people to rent their items. Clothes and other Accessories may be worn to events and then returned. The maybe returned with stains or tears. Video games will played and reurned by shady buyers,Camera equipment or computers maybe rented for events. I think this could be a new service Ebay offers Rental of these items but must comeback in the same condition thats a business idea right there Lol.

Buyers who have small Profit margins will suffer Example if you sell a shirt for $13 pay 3 buck to ship it you make $4 in profit. Buyers returns for whatever reason you pay 3 buck to take it back then that's 6 buck leaves now with a $1 profit to make and if you do relist it again and have to pay another $3 to ship it you are now paying someone to take the shirt with a probiliity of it being returned again. Now if this is a seller who only sell small priced items and this happen a few times in a single week or month we know what will happen.

Things to look for if a buyer buy three shoes are 3 bags from you at once its a very high possibility that one or two may be coming back.

Some sellers on Youtube say they actually decided to test the 30day free returns to see how it will work for them if the actually discided to accept returns. None of them actually got increase sales they only got increased returns. And that was a no brainer right there

Sellers just need to evolve with the times and come up with new strategies as ebay changes some things you should just stay away from or adjust with it the best way you can

Message 1 of 113
latest reply
112 REPLIES 112

Re: The New Return Policy and May Ruin Some Sellers

The site we are talking about has recently changed it's shipping cost tho - making it less attractive for both buyers and sellers. Up to 16 oz - $4.25 from $4.00 - the 1-3 lb has gone up quite a bit from $7.25  tp $8.00. Being most purchases from the younger buyers are on item $20 and below - that increase hurts if the item is 1-3 lbs so you have to weigh which site is more feasible. 

The one nice thing about the site tho is when listing - you know exactly what your profit is - no calculating what your profit is after FVF's and Paypal shipping costs.

Message 61 of 113
latest reply

Its so easy to list over there.

Message 62 of 113
latest reply

It is disturbing how poor some experiences can be.

As both a big buyer and seller, I am tired of trash-experiences on both sides.  I'm tired of being railroaded and gashed as a seller; I'm tired of getting bad products as a buyer and eBay refusing to do anything about it.  It's truly pathetic.  

It's obvious to me from my experiences that eBay isn't trying to help anyone anymore.   What they're doing is milking as much profit as they can - as long as they can.  

Message 63 of 113
latest reply

There's a youtube video from a popular seller who always promotes Ebay. He made a video in the hopes someone at Ebay would see it. In it he describes a situation many have had here. A buyer asks to return an item and you get back something different than what was sent.

In his case it was a $167 speaker and he received a $1 Store earbud back. He called Ebay to dispue this and they ruled in the buyer's favor. He called and appealed and again they ruled in the buyer's favor. Being he does so much business on several platforms - he can absorb the cost - but he knows how many small and part time sellers there are here who could not afford a loss like that and he wants Ebay to put something in place to make this right as other venues handle the same situation differently. He's not my favorite vlogger - but he gained a few points with his concern for small or part time sellers.

Message 64 of 113
latest reply

In situations like the vblooger experienced, sellers have got to get their consumer protection advocacy group involved.   There is protect for Vendors/Sellers under the Consumer Protection Act.  Selling a 10lb item and being sent back a 10 ounce items is proof.  

Message 65 of 113
latest reply

Not saying they shouldn't get an advocacy group involved - but many of these vloggers I'm sure are paid by Ebay to speak at the open and at the very least probably get free tickets. I see alot of sellers coming to the open - not because they want to learn how to be better sellers but because they want to meet and hang with these vloggers. They aren't going to cut off their nose to spite their face. 

They say they don't get preferential treatment but when I look at listing placement alone  - that says it all. 

Message 66 of 113
latest reply

If you look at the beginning of the thread you will see this is about the new return policy. Not now. So once again you are incorrect. On june 1st If you are a top rated plus seller you have to take returns for any reason.

Message 67 of 113
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

Most bad buying experiences when looked at in depth are folks wanting champagne and running on a beer budget. A certain item has a average selling price of $49.95 someone snags a deal for $12.99 with a few flaws,but expects it to be in the $49.95 condition upon arrival and suffers a hugemanatee when it arrives......

With all due respect, bubbleman, that generalization isn't always true.  While that might be the case at times, the price is usually irrelevant as it usually boils down to the item not being in the condition specified by the seller, which can be further exacerbated by the scamming buyer attitude and offensive, abusive strings of messages thereafter.  A less expensive price doesn't mean the buyer shouldn't expect the description to be accurate.

If, in your example, the $12.99 item is accurately described, then no issues would occur~because the buyer would have been made aware of the flaws pre-sale.  BUT if the description is clearly lacking and inaccurate upon receipt of the item, then it doesn't matter what price the buyer paid~it is not as described.

What about the listings where the flaws etc ARE described accurately and item priced appropriately yet you still get buyers trying to haggle a deal "because of the xxxx"?

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 68 of 113
latest reply

IF you care about their piddly 1% off and actually think having a badge on your ,listings makes a difference.

Otherwise you're free to even go to NO returns if you wish

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 69 of 113
latest reply

@getitright1234 wrote:

In situations like the vblooger experienced, sellers have got to get their consumer protection advocacy group involved.   There is protect for Vendors/Sellers under the Consumer Protection Act.  Selling a 10lb item and being sent back a 10 ounce items is proof.  

I wished  he  kept fighting   the return .    There   been  other sellers  like vblooger  ,one sold a air-conditioner  shipped  freight  shipping   and buyer returned  some junk back parcel post, the seller spent 2  months   to get ebay to refund.

Message 70 of 113
latest reply

But as of April - CS is making it much harder to fight false SNADs. We used to be able to fight against taking the return for SNAD when it was described properly. CS would rule in the seller's favor - but if they had a return policy - the buyer would still be able to return the item but they paid to ship it back. Since April - CS says you have to accept the return and then file an appeal once the item is back in the seller's possession.

As far as buyer's still filing an SNAD even when the item is described properly - it happens on all the vneues - but other venues go to bat for the seller and the buyer has to prove the item is SNAD. castle's response was to the fact that even when a buyer does all the right things - asks all the right questions and they sometimes still receive an item Not As Described from a seller. This has been happening more on more in the past couple of years as some sellers - even old timers - just don't care anymore.

These policies have not only affected the moral of sellers but seller ethics.

Message 71 of 113
latest reply

What I would suggest to all Sellers Protect yourself. When a Return is opened by a buyer especially if its a Fraud make it known that the item must be returned in the Exact same condition you sent it. Make a video of you opening the item as you receive it. If you send example a brand new sneakers and the buyer says its used opens up an SNAD and send you a rock instead.

You may not have protection from Ebay but you can report this scam as mail Fraud with the Postal inspector just make sure you have enough evidence and a video to back you up

Message 72 of 113
latest reply

I just got  my Top Seller Plus back last month, but I will lose the plus in June because there is NO WAY I will agree to free return shipping.  The 1%  you get is nothing (unless you are making millions), and ebay will probably remove it soon.  I am looking at a number of other sites, and will start moving my vintage and clothing listings elsewhere.  

With a few exceptions, my experiences with cutomers on ebay has been wonderful, but ebay's HORRIBLE Customer Disservice Reps and lack of seller support have soured me on my ebay experience.  

Message 73 of 113
latest reply

You can report without the use of videos - I've reported a couple in the past. Unless all sellers report - no one will get involved and we know how well that works.

Message 74 of 113
latest reply

I got a Call from Ebay Bragging that returns will only average 15% WOW i do About 3.5% becouse I Sell Clothes and it doen't Fit Returns So I have Been Moving my Items to other Venues and so far so Good No Returns Higher Sales with Much Less in store inventory its been about a Month and No Returns Clothes that sat here are moving Quickly and I doing better in Profect Ebay Burnened there Sellers Bad this Time But if you need to Rent Someting for 30 days for Free Ebay will be the place to shop so There are other places to sell at i used to by alot from Ebay but Im Buying at other Venues I Refuse to Buy here anymore and calling me to brag about how much more money it will cost me to sell here WOW Im done Its going to take me awhile to more the  rest of my items But Yah Im Done 

Message 75 of 113
latest reply