cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Targeted By Malicious Buyer - False Returns

We have been targeted by a malicious buyer who has purchased 3 times from 3 different guest account IDs.

Order # 1 - Opened damaged/not as described case claiming the cap of the bottle was cracked in shipping and product had leaked out.  We processed full refund to close the case.

Order # 2 -   Return was filed as "Doesn't match description or photos" with the comment " Nothings came whats going on." -  Order was delayed by a day due to weather and was delivered the day after return was opened.  We sent buyer multiple messages with tracking updates, but did not get a response.  So, we approved the return on the last day possible to avoid getting a defect.

This return had a message on February 15th that said since the buyer had not provided tracking, we could call and have eBay close the case in our favor, which I did.  I even received an email from eBay stating the case had been decided in the seller's favor, closed without a refund to the buyer, and that it would not affect our seller performance.  However, after the case was closed, the buy provided a tracking number the next day and eBay reversed the decision, refunded the buyer, and is now showing this as an "unresolved" strike on our seller metrics.

Order # 3 -  This return request came in just as we were putting two and two together and realizing this buyer was targeting us.  Also filed as "not as described" saying he received the wrong brush.  Buyer will not respond to messages asking for pictures or more details (I know he's not required to provide pictures).  I reported all 3 IDs online and also called Trust and Safety.  Trust and Safety advised me not to authorize this return.  They said that in 3 days if I do nothing, it will escalate to eBay and they will close in our favor because of the fraudulent buyer activity.

However, when I called today to appeal the mark on our metrics for Order # 2, not only was I told they can't remove that defect because the buyer provided tracking, but I was also told that everything Trust and Safety said was wrong and that I do have to authorize the return for Order # 3.  So now eBay is going to charge us $10.84 for a shipping label for a $10.99 product and all they can say is to call when we get it back to appeal that case and "maybe" get the return shipping refunded.

It is incredibly frustrating to get so much bad information when calling CS and that there is apparently no hope for getting actual help when we are being so obviously targeted by fraudulent return requests.

Message 1 of 202
latest reply
201 REPLIES 201

Re: Targeted By Malicious Buyer - False Returns

Fwiw, I would have your companies attorney fire off a letter asap to the scammer and eBay.  

Message 151 of 202
latest reply

@autopiacarcare wrote:

Another one just came in about an hour ago.  brian@ebay 

Hi @autopiacarcare, this does sound like a frustrating situation. I see that you reported the accounts to customer support today. Continue working with them to investigate this further and they'll be sure appropriate actions are taken. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 152 of 202
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@autopiacarcare wrote:

Another one just came in about an hour ago.  brian@ebay 

Hi @autopiacarcare, this does sound like a frustrating situation. I see that you reported the accounts to customer support today. Continue working with them to investigate this further and they'll be sure appropriate actions are taken. 

Thank you brian@ebay .  I did contact support and went back over the whole situation again.  Luckily, I download and save monthly order reports because the previous cases are all now past 90 days and no longer viewable in our Seller Hub history.  I was able to provide the item numbers and guest account IDs for every order we have received from this person and was told they would research the matter and get back to me in 24 hours.  Hopefully they will follow through and take action to prevent this serial abuser from continuing to use eBay to perpetrate this fraud.

Message 153 of 202
latest reply

What do you do when you get an order from the scammer?  Do you cancel it for "something wrong with address" or do you call into Ebay each time to have them cancel it?  

Just curious...

Message 154 of 202
latest reply

@webwanna wrote:

What do you do when you get an order from the scammer?  Do you cancel it for "something wrong with address" or do you call into Ebay each time to have them cancel it?  

Just curious...

We add the guest account ID to the block list, report that guest ID through the online "report buyer" function, and then cancel the order for "something wrong with address" (this is what CS told us to do previously since the buyer is trying to circumvent our block list).

We also call Customer Service to make a report over the phone and make reference to all the previous cases for this buyer that the CS agent should be able to see noted on our account if the previous CS agents have actually documented the issue.

Message 155 of 202
latest reply

Block him
Message 156 of 202
latest reply

@totemchick wrote:
Block him

Check out the past 7 pages... He's blocked all of them but they create new guest accounts to get around it. Blocking does not solve this issue. 

Message 157 of 202
latest reply

@slnrhiannonri wrote:

@totemchick wrote:
Block him

Check out the past 7 pages... He's blocked all of them but they create new guest accounts to get around it. Blocking does not solve this issue. 

And I have repeatedly asked if blocked bidders were able to use guest accounts to get around blocks for at least six months now... and have been quite sternly told "NO!!!" on numerous occasions by Blues- who were getting that info from "Trust and Safety", no doubt. 

Quite the contrary... all this "guest account" nonsense seems to work exactly  as I feared it did... yet it's been deny, deny, deny. 

Shame on you, eBay!

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 158 of 202
latest reply

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@slnrhiannonri wrote:

@totemchick wrote:
Block him

And I have repeatedly asked if blocked bidders were able to use guest accounts to get around blocks for at least six months now... and have been quite sternly told "NO!!!" on numerous occasions by Blues- who were getting that info from "Trust and Safety", no doubt. 

Quite the contrary... all this "guest account" nonsense seems to work exactly  as I feared it did... yet it's been deny, deny, deny. 

Shame on you, eBay!

@gramophone-georg  wrote:

Shame on you, eBay!

After reading through this thread I would have to agree.

Message 159 of 202
latest reply

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@slnrhiannonri wrote:

@totemchick wrote:
Block him

Shame on you, eBay!

When I was speaking to CS yesterday and explaining that this was the same buyer repeatedly using different guest accounts, he at first tried to deflect with something along the lines of "well, this day and age, with VPNs and everything it is very easy for people to mask their IP addresses so that makes it difficult for us to determine their location and try to connect the accounts."  I said a VPN can't mask the fact that every single order has the exact same physical street address for shipping.

He put me on hold for a bit and then asked for the user names and item numbers of every order we've had connected to that address.  I obliged, but must say I am kind of wondering why I needed to provide that information again.  I had asked him if he saw notes on our account from the multiple other calls I have made about this issue and he said yes.  I can only assume the user names, item numbers, and dates were not recorded by the previous reps?

They still have a few hours before the 24 hour time limit is up and then I will be calling back.

Message 160 of 202
latest reply

I would start filing reports with
• The Internet Crime Complaint Center (www.ic3.gov)
• Your state's Consumer Protection office
• A Federal law enforcement agency such as the FBI or Postal Inspection Service

will take about an hour for you to file them and you will have "paper trail", please save all of info (Screen shot) before clicking "Submit ", some agencies will not give you and option to save your info and will not provide you with case number (at the beginning). Please skip all of the details at first and get to the point, most agencies will allowed you to use only so many words in a web-request.

Also please keep log of all of your interaction with ebay CS, USPS CS and all other representative you did talk.

Also keep log of all of your time you spend doing all of this. You will need it to file a police report and possible small claim court.

You could do it!

It worked for me with more that one occasion dealing with ebay/Paypal.
Message 161 of 202
latest reply

The plot thickens.  I just received a message about the item from Friday that was canceled.  The email we received shows the buyer is located in Miami, FL (orders have all been shipping to CA).  Message basically says "I purchased using guest checkout and was refunded.  Why?"

The fraudulent buyer is the only recent purchase on that item number and the only purchase on that item number that has been refunded.  The buyer ID that sent the message has been added to our block list and I am calling CS to add that buyer ID to our report.

Message 162 of 202
latest reply

@autopiacarcare wrote:

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@slnrhiannonri wrote:

@totemchick wrote:
Block him

Shame on you, eBay!

When I was speaking to CS yesterday and explaining that this was the same buyer repeatedly using different guest accounts, he at first tried to deflect with something along the lines of "well, this day and age, with VPNs and everything it is very easy for people to mask their IP addresses so that makes it difficult for us to determine their location and try to connect the accounts."  I said a VPN can't mask the fact that every single order has the exact same physical street address for shipping.

He put me on hold for a bit and then asked for the user names and item numbers of every order we've had connected to that address.  I obliged, but must say I am kind of wondering why I needed to provide that information again.  I had asked him if he saw notes on our account from the multiple other calls I have made about this issue and he said yes.  I can only assume the user names, item numbers, and dates were not recorded by the previous reps?

They still have a few hours before the 24 hour time limit is up and then I will be calling back.

I'll say it again:

Why is it that eBay ABSOLUTELY REFUSES to use the same technology to link these "rogue" buyers to themselves that they use to link sellers to each other on the most implausible of pretenses? It just boggles the mind that eBay continues to seemingly willingly aid and abet these scam rings... CSRs aren't "clueless", either; they seem to be doing what eBay wants in these cases- deny, obfuscate, delay. Waste the seller's time while taking the seller's money. The consistency with which they do it- and HAVE done it for ten years plus now- is just awesome.

That's the ONLY thing eBay seems to have ANY sense of urgency about whatsoever- getting paid. When it comes to THAT they're suddenly a well- oiled and precise machine.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 163 of 202
latest reply

No call back from CS, but it appears we may finally be making some progress.  The account that sent the message and all of the guest account IDs are now showing as "not a registered user".

I know they can't share details of actions taken against another user, but hopefully this means they have not only disabled all existing accounts associated with this person, but will also prevent new accounts going forward.

I'll be sure to update everyone here if he comes back again.

Message 164 of 202
latest reply

I'm so glad that ebay is finally doing something about this fraudster. The frustration alone must have been taxing. I wonder if it is possibly linked to a competitor since they seem to target specifically you. If I headed trust and safety I would be looking deeply at that possibility. Either way, get them off ebay forever should be ebay's goal. This type of "buyer" is not worth the small benefit from other legitimate purchases they may make. 

Message 165 of 202
latest reply