cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't add a second category to nonfiction books?

When did this happen and why?? I mean, I'm still adding a second category by listing antiquarian/collectible first since I actually want to be found, just wonder why nonfiction can't be the primary...

Since they got rid of the cookbook category it's been a real mess.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

When did this happen and why?? I mean, I'm still adding a second category by listing antiquarian/collectible first since I actually want to be found, just wonder why nonfiction can't be the primary...

Since they got rid of the cookbook category it's been a real mess.

I tried reversing it, choosing Books > Antiquarian & Collectible, then choosing Non-Fiction books as the second category. I got this message:

The second category you selected conflicts with your main category. Try choosing a different second category.

Makes no sense, but it seems par for the course when it comes to eBay's changes. They really messed up the books category, IMHO.

Are they possibly depending on item specifics to guide searchers to another category or era?

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@packratville wrote:

I tried reversing it, choosing Books > Antiquarian & Collectible, then choosing Non-Fiction books as the second category. I got this message:

The second category you selected conflicts with your main category. Try choosing a different second category.

Makes no sense, but it seems par for the course when it comes to eBay's changes. They really messed up the books category, IMHO.

Are they possibly depending on item specifics to guide searchers to another category or era?

::sigh::

Yep....this is a recent thing, too. Guess Ebay doesn't want my quarter. unamused

https://i.gyazo.com/946dacd2f8bc7484e676548b204c0bbf.png

If I list in nonfiction I'll be buried, if I even show up at all since a 1950 book doesn't have an ISBN.  If I list in antiquarian/collectible where the book belongs, when you type in cookbook search automatically defaults to the nonfiction category, and I won't be seen at all unless the buyer notices and changes to all or  antiquarian/collectible.  

Geez Louise on a popsicle stick... time to go scream into the woods.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@packratville wrote:

Hahaha. So is ebay saying that there is no such thing as a nonfiction antiquarian & collectible book? And if there ever is, the universe will implode? Maybe ebay is trying to save the universe.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@packratville wrote:

Yep....this is a recent thing, too. Guess Ebay doesn't want my quarter. unamused

If I list in nonfiction I'll be buried, if I even show up at all since a 1950 book doesn't have an ISBN.  If I list in antiquarian/collectible where the book belongs, when you type in cookbook search automatically defaults to the nonfiction category, and I won't be seen at all unless the buyer notices and changes to all or  antiquarian/collectible.  

I may not be doing this right or understanding (no excuse, it's not past my bedtime yet), but I first chose Search by Category, selected Books, then selected the Antiquarian and Collectible. Then I typed the word Cookbook and it stayed in Antiquarian and Collectible (and it shows that category to the right of the search bar). So the cookbooks that came up were all Antiquarian and Collectible. It didn't default to the non-fiction category.

Sorry, I'm not sure what I'm misunderstanding.

I can't comprehend why of all things eBay eliminated the Cookbook category.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Because they allowed all the big book sellers to dump everything into that category so it was a total wreck.  Instead of pulling the wrong books, they did away with the category and put everything into non fictions.

I predict there will be a cook book category again at some point.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

Because they allowed all the big book sellers to dump everything into that category so it was a total wreck.  Instead of pulling the wrong books, they did away with the category and put everything into non fictions.

Drat those big book sellers 😉  The same ones that get away with placeholder images and stock photos of new books for books that are actually barely acceptable... 

I hope so.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@packratville wrote:

@packratville wrote:

I may not be doing this right or understanding (no excuse, it's not past my bedtime yet), but I first chose Search by Category, selected Books, then selected the Antiquarian and Collectible. Then I typed the word Cookbook and it stayed in Antiquarian and Collectible (and it shows that category to the right of the search bar). So the cookbooks that came up were all Antiquarian and Collectible. It didn't default to the non-fiction category.

Sorry, I'm not sure what I'm misunderstanding.

I can't speak for anyone else, but this is what I experience. I don't do category searches, I do general searches:

When I type in vintage cookbooks

most of the time the search results come back defaulted to the nonfiction category - if not on the first page, the second and subsequent. It does this automatically, with no input from me.

If I'm looking for true collectible cookbooks that are listed under antiquarian/collectible, I won't see them at all if I don't change the search filter back to all. That's where the good stuff is, in antiquarian and sometimes collectible advertising, not in nonfiction. If a buyer isn't paying attention, they're missing a lot of good stuff.

When there was a cookbook category, all the a/c and collectible advertising cookbooks would show up in a search along with ISBN books. Now, they don't show at all in the category where cookbooks are "supposed" to be - nonfiction. They just get ignored unless all is used, and if you're defaulted to nonfiction and don't notice...

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

brian@ebay- Can you confirm if this is by design or if it's an unintended consequence of the book category changes earlier this year?

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Okay, I understand the difference now. Since I now only buy supplies here and do research for my listings, I typically search by title. But the changes probably would have had a negative impact on my searches in the past. I hope eBay will reconsider adding the cookbook category at some point.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply