cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So tired of being screwed by eBay with their inability to innovate or fix long existing issues...

This doesn't happen a lot, but it happens too often.  Why won't eBay fix things so the buyer has a way to update their address after they make a purchase?  So tired of the "I supplied the wrong address by mistake" line.  Especially minutes after the purchase.  This isn't a new problem, why isn't there a solution??? 

This is even worse now that the economy is doing bad.  $10 in lost PayPal fees is equivalent to 2 days of food, or 5 gallons of gas, or 4 days of electricity, etc.

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: So tired of being screwed by eBay with their inability to innovate or fix long existing issues..

@earlyant-77 wrote:

If you order from Nordstrom.com or Zappos or anywhere like that, you can always request an address change - INCLUDING orders shipped via a 3rd party.

I'm fairly certain that you're only allowed to change your address up until the payment actually goes through.  Once it goes through, you're locked in.

I ordered something from Amazon last week that wouldn't ship for a few days, and I saw that the order page allowed me to change things such as my address, payment method, etc. because my card would not be charged until the item was ready to ship.  Once my card was charged, I was not allowed to edit any of that.

Message 31 of 36
latest reply

Re: So tired of being screwed by eBay with their inability to innovate or fix long existing issues..

@yuzuha wrote:

@earlyant-77 wrote:

If you order from Nordstrom.com or Zappos or anywhere like that, you can always request an address change - INCLUDING orders shipped via a 3rd party.

I'm fairly certain that you're only allowed to change your address up until the payment actually goes through.  Once it goes through, you're locked in.

I ordered something from Amazon last week that wouldn't ship for a few days, and I saw that the order page allowed me to change things such as my address, payment method, etc. because my card would not be charged until the item was ready to ship.  Once my card was charged, I was not allowed to edit any of that.

Nope - you can change it up to the point of shipping, if the warehouse gets the address change before the package is loaded onto the truck. In some cases, you can also redirect it to the new address.

And on ANY online site, you cannot charge the card until the order ships.

We'll use nordstrom.com as an example - you get a batch of orders overnight - you fulfill them and they go out. If you get an address change request, you can change it if you can. Once it's shipped, and you either send the shipping info to nordstrom or enter it into their portal, THAT is when the card is charged.

When you place the order, all that happens is an authorization - your card is not charged at that point. The exception would be a deposit for a custom order.

Message 32 of 36
latest reply

@earlyant-77 wrote:

@yuzuha wrote:

Nope - you can change it up to the point of shipping, if the warehouse gets the address change before the package is loaded onto the truck. In some cases, you can also redirect it to the new address.

Yes you can.  Last year I preordered a video game that was released at the end of June.  In the first week of June I got an email from the company asking me to make sure that my payment and shipping information were up-to-date, because they were going to be charging the card on file in the next week. Sure enough, my card was charged the following week, even though the game itself did not actually ship until about a week and a half later.

Either way, all of that is moot because as I said earlier, PayPal does not allow you to change the shipping address once you have paid.

Message 33 of 36
latest reply

Because no one in top management at eBay was ever a seller, it seems. IF they dedicated a small group to get all these little **bleep** situations fixed, their sellers would love, rather than hate, them. Oh well, they haven't learned in 20 years.... why start now? Why? Because I remember when they were BIGGER than Amazon......hahahahahahah. If they only had their eyes on the ball!
Message 34 of 36
latest reply

@newkadia wrote:
Because no one in top management at eBay was ever a seller, it seems. IF they dedicated a small group to get all these little **bleep** situations fixed, their sellers would love, rather than hate, them. Oh well, they haven't learned in 20 years.... why start now? Why? Because I remember when they were BIGGER than Amazon......hahahahahahah. If they only had their eyes on the ball!

@newkadia 

But on this specific subject that this thread is about, what is it that Ebay needs to fix.  They aren't the ones making the errors, it is the buyers.  Ebay and PP give the buyer to update their ship to address during the check out process.  It is the buyer that isn't paying close enough attention to do it when offered.  So how this is translating to an Ebay issue just doesn't make sense.  Why does Ebay need to "fix" anything on this specific subject?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 35 of 36
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

@earlyant-77 wrote:

@yuzuha wrote:

Yes you can.  Last year I preordered a video game that was released at the end of June.  In the first week of June I got an email from the company asking me to make sure that my payment and shipping information were up-to-date, because they were going to be charging the card on file in the next week. Sure enough, my card was charged the following week, even though the game itself did not actually ship until about a week and a half later.

Either way, all of that is moot because as I said earlier, PayPal does not allow you to change the shipping address once you have paid.

A preorder is a different thing - but most likely they authorized your card so that the money is held, and settled when it was shipped.

The seller is not breaking federal law by charging your credit card before they ship. The Fair Credit Billing Act and the Mail or Telephone Order Merchandise Rule protect you so you don’t have to pay for merchandise you order but never receive.

According to the Federal Trade Commission, however, many credit card issuers do not allow merchants to charge your credit card before they ship. If you want to pursue this, you should contact your credit card issuer and ask about its policies for prematurely charging your account.

Message 36 of 36
latest reply