cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So tired of being screwed by eBay with their inability to innovate or fix long existing issues...

This doesn't happen a lot, but it happens too often.  Why won't eBay fix things so the buyer has a way to update their address after they make a purchase?  So tired of the "I supplied the wrong address by mistake" line.  Especially minutes after the purchase.  This isn't a new problem, why isn't there a solution??? 

This is even worse now that the economy is doing bad.  $10 in lost PayPal fees is equivalent to 2 days of food, or 5 gallons of gas, or 4 days of electricity, etc.

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: So tired of being screwed by eBay with their inability to innovate or fix long existing issues..

Regardless of whose fault, facilitating transactions is eBay/PayPal's responsibility. Therefore they should consider creating new procedures to fix this pain point. Whether this is their priority is a different matter.
"What do we live for, if it's not to make life less difficult for each other?" — G Eliot
Message 16 of 36
latest reply

Re: So tired of being screwed by eBay with their inability to innovate or fix long existing issues..

@mam98031 wrote:

You are blaming Ebay for something the buyers are not doing.  Which is pay attention during check out.  A buyer can change their ship to address during check out if they want to.  The buyer is in control of the ship to address, they always have been.

Buyers can have multiple ship to address in Ebay and PP.  When they go to check out and pay for something is when they should be deciding on the ship to address.  It will default to what they have on file, but they can change it.  If it is wrong and they don't correct it, it is simple human error for not paying attention to the process.  We all do it from time to time.

But it isn't Ebay's or PP's fault.

I am blaming eBay for not solving problems they have created through their policies.  It is the buyer's fault for not using the right address.  It is eBay's fault for not finding a solution to an obvious problem eBay created.  I have no problems with shipping to the address supplied in the purchase.  I have a problem with the fact that there is no reasonable way to fix the address if a mistake is made during purchase.  I shouldn't have to cancel and redo a transaction for such a simple problem.

Message 17 of 36
latest reply

@robxznyc wrote:
Regardless of whose fault, facilitating transactions is eBay/PayPal's responsibility. Therefore they should consider creating new procedures to fix this pain point. Whether this is their priority is a different matter.

@robxznyc 

How exactly?

Buyers have the ability to change or enter the correct ship to address during check out.  Exactly how is Ebay or PP suppose to know in advance that there is a problem with the address the buyer has OK'd the shipment to ship to is incorrect or needs to be updated?

What is it that you think Ebay and/or PP should be doing that they aren't?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 18 of 36
latest reply

@gwzcomps wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

You are blaming Ebay for something the buyers are not doing.  Which is pay attention during check out.  A buyer can change their ship to address during check out if they want to.  The buyer is in control of the ship to address, they always have been.

Buyers can have multiple ship to address in Ebay and PP.  When they go to check out and pay for something is when they should be deciding on the ship to address.  It will default to what they have on file, but they can change it.  If it is wrong and they don't correct it, it is simple human error for not paying attention to the process.  We all do it from time to time.

But it isn't Ebay's or PP's fault.

I am blaming eBay for not solving problems they have created through their policies.  It is the buyer's fault for not using the right address.  It is eBay's fault for not finding a solution to an obvious problem eBay created.  I have no problems with shipping to the address supplied in the purchase.  I have a problem with the fact that there is no reasonable way to fix the address if a mistake is made during purchase.  I shouldn't have to cancel and redo a transaction for such a simple problem.

HOW?  How do you think Ebay should resolve this problem?  How is Ebay to even know there is a problem?  What is it specifically that you think Ebay should be doing?

Message 19 of 36
latest reply

I think much of this "wrong address" happens with those buyers that are set up to pay automatically (if that is still an option) via PP without confirming an address at checkout.

Eliminating that automatic paying might go a long way to solving the address issue.

Then of course there would be the buyers grousing about not having the auto pay link, and how it is wasting their time having to confirm their shipping address every time they purchase🤔

Message 20 of 36
latest reply

Ebay will have to address it eventually with MP, but I see no reason why there cannot be a request/approval through paypal on an address change AFTER paying via PP, but before the shipping label gets created. And calculated shipping updated.

Especially now, when it costs the seller money to cancel and have the buyer repurchase.

Message 21 of 36
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

I think much of this "wrong address" happens with those buyers that are set up to pay automatically (if that is still an option) via PP without confirming an address at checkout.

Eliminating that automatic paying might go a long way to solving the address issue.

Then of course there would be the buyers grousing about not having the auto pay link, and how it is wasting their time having to confirm their shipping address every time they purchase🤔

I think I have that set up as i can pay with just a couple clicks if I want to.  But I'm still able to see the ship to address and change it if I need to.  I don't have to confirm the ship to address, but it does appear on my screen before I commit the payment and I have the ability to change it if I want to.

Message 22 of 36
latest reply

@earlyant-77 wrote:

Ebay will have to address it eventually with MP, but I see no reason why there cannot be a request/approval through paypal on an address change AFTER paying via PP, but before the shipping label gets created. And calculated shipping updated.

Especially now, when it costs the seller money to cancel and have the buyer repurchase.

How would that work? 

Would shipment be delayed until PP confirms the address with the buyer? 

Does that mean PP would hold payment to the seller until this process was complete? 

What does that do to the sale on Ebay? 

Would it not be a sale until this process is complete and if so would the product the buyer wanted to purchase still be live [for sale] on Ebay for others to purchase? 

And if that is true because the seller has IPR on their Ebay listing, what would happen of the item sold to someone else before PP was able to get the ship to address confirmed?

I can think of more questions, but I think you can get the idea.  There would be a whole lot to consider with this method.

Message 23 of 36
latest reply

Exactly, This is a buyer problem, not an eBay or PayPal issue.

Always a newbie!
Message 24 of 36
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

I think I have that set up as i can pay with just a couple clicks if I want to.  But I'm still able to see the ship to address and change it if I need to.  I don't have to confirm the ship to address, but it does appear on my screen before I commit the payment and I have the ability to change it if I want to.

OK. Not set up to slide right on through on mine, but I did not know how simplified the process may be.  Seemed at one time that a buyer could scoot right on through seeing very little of the process.

Message 25 of 36
latest reply

I gave a possible solution in comment #3:

"Something like give the buyer x hours after purchase to change the address if the seller hasn't printed a label yet. Seller has to agree to address change before it is finalized. "

eBay is aware this is a problem every time I have called into CS to complain. Alternatively they could make a policy where I am allowed to change the address if the buyer fills out a request form or sends a message.
Message 26 of 36
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@earlyant-77 wrote:

How would that work? 

Does that mean PP would hold payment to the seller until this process was complete? 

Would it not be a sale until this process is complete and if so would the product the buyer wanted to purchase still be live [for sale] on Ebay for others to purchase? 

And if that is true because the seller has IPR on their Ebay listing, what would happen of the item sold to someone else before PP was able to get the ship to address confirmed?

I can think of more questions, but I think you can get the idea.  There would be a whole lot to consider with this method.

No, it's simply an address change request sent by the buyer to and approved by the seller, with the buyer being shown new calculates shipping charges when asking(if applicable) via the payment processor. It's not like PP 'confirms' an address anyway.

If you order from Nordstrom.com or Zappos or anywhere like that, you can always request an address change - INCLUDING orders shipped via a 3rd party.

Message 27 of 36
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

OK. Not set up to slide right on through on mine, but I did not know how simplified the process may be.  Seemed at one time that a buyer could scoot right on through seeing very little of the process.

It's two clicks once you have it in your shopping cart.

Click to pay seller or sellers.

The next screen has your primary funding source prechecked for you with a blue words that say Show Payment Options below it where you can change it if you want.

It also has your ship to address on this screen with a blue word below saying CHANGE in which you can click on if you need to make a change.

When all is OK Click the Confirm and Pay icon and you are done.  

So a purchase is just a couple clicks away if you have no need to make any changes.  It's hard to make it simpler.

Amazon tried the One Click payment purchase and payment for awhile.  It didn't last long as people filed for a whole lot of cancellations as they were purchasing stuff they didn't really want at that time.

Message 28 of 36
latest reply

@gwzcomps wrote:
I gave a possible solution in comment #3:

"Something like give the buyer x hours after purchase to change the address if the seller hasn't printed a label yet. Seller has to agree to address change before it is finalized. "

eBay is aware this is a problem every time I have called into CS to complain. Alternatively they could make a policy where I am allowed to change the address if the buyer fills out a request form or sends a message.

Ebay had a similar policy until a few months ago.  If a buyer emailed you within Ebay and requested an address change you were covered under seller protection on Ebay if you complied.

The problem with that is if the payment was through PayPal, the same was not true.  If you changed the address, you no longer were eligible for seller protection in PP.  PP has never accepted Ebay emails as proof in any claim so it stands to reason they aren't going to accept it in an address change.

Maybe Ebay could use a flashing icon, one that is very prominent on the check out screen that says to verify the ship to address before processing the payment.  That is likely to help.  But that doesn't change the fact this is a buyer problem, not an Ebay or PP problem.  Buyers need to pay attention when they are checking out.

Message 29 of 36
latest reply

@earlyant-77 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@earlyant-77 wrote:

How would that work? 

No, it's simply an address change request sent by the buyer to and approved by the seller, with the buyer being shown new calculates shipping charges when asking(if applicable) via the payment processor. It's not like PP 'confirms' an address anyway.

If you order from Nordstrom.com or Zappos or anywhere like that, you can always request an address change - INCLUDING orders shipped via a 3rd party.

So what happens when a seller "approves" the address change and it is still wrong.  Since the seller "approved" it seems the seller is taking on a responsibility that the address is actually correct when the seller has no way of really knowing that.

If the seller has already paid when this process starts as you describe above, Ebay has already issued the invoice with shipping and the buyer has paid.  If this new approved address changes what the shipping charges should have been, then wouldn't the original payment have to be reversed / refunded and a new invoice issued, then the buyer would have to pay again? 

Or are you saying after the seller "approves" the address change, Ebay then issues a supplemental invoice that the buyer either needs to pay?  So now the seller has a second payment on the one transaction and an additional 30 cent processing fee by PP.  And what if the updated address would require a credit to the buyer on the amount originally paid for shipping.  How would that get handled?

I am NOT trying to give you a hard time.  We are batting around ideas.  What you describe just would be extremely hard to implement, process and comply with IMHO.

Message 30 of 36
latest reply