cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Sales Post #291,729

Lol I haven't sold a thing in three days (that's a new one on me) and am feeling completely shadowbanned at the moment. 🤣
How's everyone doing?

PS: No need to comment on my individual items and tell me I'm being dumb about this or that listing. Everything sells eventually. 😃

Message 1 of 179
latest reply
178 REPLIES 178

Re: Slow Sales Post #291,729

@myfrugalboutique wrote:

@boomersbiz46   Because eBay is stupid…that is why. Mr Lincoln said it well…they want you to spend more on PL 

@myfrugalboutique   Yep ... just checked my Views with items that have 0, 1, 2 in the last 30 days.

0 Views = 34.4%

1 View     = 20.3 %

2 Views  = 12.7 %

So when over 1/3 of my items have NO Views in the last 30 days and a total of 67.4 % have 2 Views or less it is easy to see why sales have declined ... I check this periodically and while the 1 and 2 View counts may vary the 1/3 of my listings with 0 Views has been pretty constant.  

I diverted inventory to other venues last month and again this month because of the drop in sell through rate here ... while I LOVE selling on eBay the operative word is "selling".  While I am not a huge Seller I know that keeping things moving in any business is crucial regardless of size. 

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 31 of 179
latest reply

@rschissler wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

When looking at one individual Seller then it doesn't make sense but looking at it from the standpoint that they want to increase their Fees per Transaction via PLS or PLA they have 1.7 BILLION listings to play with.  So in theory they can bury, hide, etc huge blocks of Sellers's listings for a time in  hopes that they will cave and jack up their ad rates on PLS or PLA, etc.  

That's nonsense, conspiracy theory nonsense. PLS and PLA are a drop in the bucket of revenues, compared to FVF's.  It's silly to think eBay would keep buyers from seeing seller listings, and thus cut their main source of revenue.

@rschissler   I respect your opinion but don't agree based on my own results as well as info from some other Sellers both on these boards and local friends who sell.  

Regards,
Message 32 of 179
latest reply

@mr_lincoln 

I agree with you 100%. I have many listings with no views. What is so obvious is when someone else sells the EXACT same thing as I do…for more money and mine doesn’t sell it is because my items are not being seen for whatever reason. 

I am a very good seller, ship promptly, and go the extra mile always. This started about two months ago and has continued to get worse. 

Message 33 of 179
latest reply

I have zero to very little sales all year so far. I also notice all my listing for the most part show zero views which must be inaccurate. I thought ebay themselves at least looked at all listings to check for compliancy. This just makes no sense. If it wasn't for having to report $600 to IRS this year I would not even be getting a 1099 like I have fo

r the past 8 years!

Message 34 of 179
latest reply

It's quite simple, eBay shadow banned or throttled everyone. Every sellers listings are getting MINIMAL visibility(unless you use the wonderful tools that the eBay gods have given us). If you use promoted listings standard at 25%, you will almost get the visibility you used to. You will need to couple that with PL Advanced or Display Ads or Offsite Ads to get sales back to normal. Unfortunately then, you will just be donating to the machine.

Message 35 of 179
latest reply

@myfrugalboutique   Many many Sellers are reporting the same thing in many many different categories.  For some the drop is sudden and for others it is a slow protracted and agonizing experience.  The last time I saw this type of trend was back in 2018 - early 2019 when they implemented the GTC mandate and got rid of the 10, 15 and 30 day BIN Listing cycles ( I think those durations are correct or at least close). 

I had just spent 12 months growing a 2nd account to the low 5 figures only to watch it get killed off with that venue change ... it took 3 months for the account to trickle down in sales and then 3 more months of 1-3 sales per month before I just moved everything to my main account and was done with it.  I did nothing different and the only differences was the significant site change and gone was the promise that the GTC mandate would increase sales.   

Regards,
Message 36 of 179
latest reply

@mr_lincoln 

I wanted to open another store that had very specific items that would link with the name. However there is no way I would do that mow.

This is intentional IMHO by whomever is in charge. They fiddle around with other things instead of dealing with the important issues. Now I must go ship my big SIX orders from the weekend, 

Message 37 of 179
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

OK, in your case, evidently you are still making sales so the economy is not affecting you.  Good news for you.

But I'd venture to suggest that there are some categories where it IS the economy that's slowing sales. Perhaps when I reply to such queries in the future, it would be a good idea for me to mention that maybe it depends on what you're selling? 

@soh.maryl   Yes, I have been doing better at that myself because I know what I sell is different than what others sell and even in my categories my mix of vintage - antique - collectibles is different than others Sellers in those same cats.  The economy definitely affects certain purchases but when I go to buy inventory I don't see that at all ... I might go and bid on a 400 lot train auction and have 150 items on my Watch list that I want to purchase and if I leave with 20 lots that I won I am doing good.  Prior to bidding I know what I can buy to resell and hit my profit margin which happens to be 50% after eBay Fees ... 

Prior to Covid I could easily double and triple my money from live auctions because the only competition was those who were there.  Once things shifted to online bidding things changed, prices went up, margin went down ... 

Yes, my stuff sells, it just doesn't sell fast enough like it once did (prior to 2022) and sales finances future inventory acquisition ....

Regards,
Message 38 of 179
latest reply

You are preaching to the choir . Even talked to sellers on Poshmark, it is SLOW folks dont have the extra money they use too. Everything is more expensive, including my own bills.

I use to have bunches of spare money and was able to save and I am retired. Now??? Geeez...poor as heck. 

Good Luck.

"I have always been delighted at the prospect of a new day, a fresh try, one more start, with perhaps a bit of magic waiting somewhere behind the morning."~ J.B. Priestly (1894-1984) English author
Message 39 of 179
latest reply

Those of you saying someone did not plan ahead etc.... be grateful you are having the sales,

It is not a matter of planning ahead. I been doing this for a LONG time and I see the situation,

No matter how great or well manned or etc. the costs of shipping are going up, the competition of places like

TEMU and etc. If you not making your own item, or getting it DIRT CHEAP, its getting tougher and tougher. 

Thanks and blessings to those going through this. 

"I have always been delighted at the prospect of a new day, a fresh try, one more start, with perhaps a bit of magic waiting somewhere behind the morning."~ J.B. Priestly (1894-1984) English author
Message 40 of 179
latest reply

I have a good day or two then rather not a whole lot from new buyers.

My "repeat buyers" are my bread and butter.

I had a good Saturday....my buyers are of an older generation. Saturday was a major payday for social security recipients ...and they usually buy something when they get that direct deposit from social security.

I also had one buyer who bought 29 items on Saturday from me.

I feel the trick is selling similar items and not everything including the "kitchen sink" here on eBay.

Its usually one or two good days out of the week from me.

Message 41 of 179
latest reply

It' s time to list some fresh to the market items.

Message 42 of 179
latest reply

@myfrugalboutique 

My second store was simple, I sold the same thing on both ... meaning I would get new inventory and list on the 2nd account first for whatever listing cycle I wanted (Auction or BINs).  Then when those listings Ended on that account I would create the same listing on the main account.  So I basically used known good selling items to grow the 2nd account, it worked ... it was more work to be sure but over time I was able to just list stuff on each account and let them there without doubling the listing process.

I learned that if you let an Ended item sit for 3 days then Relist it they put the NEW listing tag on it which lasts 24 hours.  So by going back and forth between accounts there always seemed to be a lot of NEW listings. 

Regards,
Message 43 of 179
latest reply

Lol the economy is totally in the trash right now. We rarely go out, but the other day I paid $17 for a random cheeseburger at a sports bar. Seventeen. Dollars. 😂

@deltilogical wrote:

The current economy is crap and only getting worse.   I can EASILY spend $100 on a half filled bag of groceries.  Gas is pushing $4 again.   I rarely go out to eat, a stupid sandwich is over $10.   

" new inventory listings that do not sell in the first 2 weeks get buried and BIN listings suffer the most."

Listings should go back to the top of the list when they "renew" each 30 days but they don't, they just get buried.  In my category, there are some sellers who cancel and relist the same overpriced tired material seemingly daily.    I end up looking at the same tired overpriced stuff.   And then they pay to promote it so I see it in the ads also.   I've been seeing the same overpriced cards for years at the top of my search list every day.  Its pathetic.  

Message 44 of 179
latest reply

@whimzicalsocks  Many people did not plan for their retirement, or they thought their social security would take care of them. Just an FYI social security was designed only as a supplement. Also many corporate raiders cleaned out pension funds. Just do a Google search. 

people need to think about down the road…

Message 45 of 179
latest reply