cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping to a different address per buyers request

Looking for advice. This should be an easy one!

I have a repeat buyer from OR who wants to make another purchase.

She asked if I would ship to her daughter's address (it's a gift).

It's funny...  in all the years I've been selling, I've never had someone

ask me that. I think it's a reasonable request.  However...

I see that I CAN change the address, but there's a message regarding

risk with 'eBay Seller Protection'.

My question is... Would you do it?

I would like to, cuz she's nice... but I just thought I'd check as I don't want to be getting myself

in a pickle for something I maybe haven't thought of. As always, thank-you so much!

Anj

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Shipping to a different address per buyers request

All you have to do is tell your buyer to use the daughter's name/address as the ship to address when she pays.  I do this all the time when I purchase something and have it sent to my dad.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 12 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

I do it all the time as long as the request comes thru ebay messages, and the item is not a high value.

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

I would advise customer to purchase item showing "daughter's address".    If you ship to different address customer can file "did not receive" item and you cannot prove otherwise. 

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

She should purchase the item and put in her daughter's name and address instead of her own.  Don't change the address, as it does negate your seller protection. 

If she has already purchased it, cancel citing problem with buyer's address, relist it for her, and have her purchase again with the correct address.  Tell her all of this before you do it and make sure she knows that this is the right way to do it per eBay's rules.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

How much is this item worth?

Have they asked you to include gift cards??

Best bet is to tell em you need to cancel sale due to addy: and relist: they can change their addy to were they want the item to go.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

If you don't ship to the address used at checkout, you lose your seller protection.

Buyer can file INR and you will lose since it shipped to a different address.

I've had this happen in the past. I just tell the buyer that per eBay policy, I can only ship to the address used at checkout.

I let them know I would be happy to cancel the transaction, they can repurchase with the address they wish to ship to.

I've never had a problem with the buyer doing this.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

Yes as long as it is addressed to the buyers name and ATTN Recipient underneath. Please make sure they agree to no refunds or returns so this doesn't triangulate. Keep the post office receipt and make sure this is insured for loss. You might want to agree in advance to email customer a copy of the postal receipt with the agreement that if any loss or damage occurs, the buyer will pursue the claim using the receipt you provided and you will not have to do anything else after you send that copy 

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

I could be mistaken but i don't think you can change the shipping address if you are using Ebay labels. You might have to use a different way to get a shipping label which might cost you more. Example. If you go to the post office and pay for shipping at the retail counter, shipping may be 20% higher. 

I understand why you want to take care of this person but it really is not that difficult for them to change their address before the purchase. It does open you up to liability but if you know the person than of course that would not be an issue. 

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

@anjie234 wrote:

I would like to, cuz she's nice... but I just thought I'd check as I don't want to be getting myself

in a pickle for something I maybe haven't thought of. As always, thank-you so much!

Anj

If she hasn't payed yet. eBay's checkout system will allow her to change her address to her

daughter's address and then pay.

You are required to ship to the address that comes with the payment.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

Any buyer who wants the item shipped to a different address can do it this way:

When that buyer sees the shipping address on the invoice, the buyer sees the shipping address.

The BUYER (not the seller) needs to change that address.  That's all that needs to happen.

If the buyer pays, then makes the request about the address, explain the above information to the buyer.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

"Please make sure they agree to no refunds or returns so this doesn't triangulate."

How would that work? The buyer has eBay's Money Back Guarantee which guarantees refunds if the item received is not as described.  

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

All you have to do is tell your buyer to use the daughter's name/address as the ship to address when she pays.  I do this all the time when I purchase something and have it sent to my dad.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

@anjie234 wrote:

Anj

Not clear whether she has paid or not..........If not, as others have said, have her change the shipping address when she pays..........People do this all the time on mail orders.....  If she has paid and item is not too expensive, I would just change the shipping address on the label (and YES you can do it on ebay labels)......  also as said, you do not have seller protection if she claims the item is not received.....if you changed the address...... 

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

I would just do it for a repeat buyer.  I've done it for non-repeats if I have a good feel for the buyer.  I've never had a problem BUT I do not sell high scam items & my demographic is generally extremely honest & trustworthy.   I probably wouldn't do it on an expensive item, but on a regular item, I just don't want to hassle them to cancel the tx, re-purchase, etc.  

These days it would be a bit harder with the cost of FC shipping being different in different regions, so keep that in mind if you choose to do it.  

It's really a judgement call, as you would lose seller protection, but let's say I've done it more times than I've utilized Seller Protection. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

Kindly request that they add the different recipients address to their ebay account so you can have a record of the correct address this item was shipped to. You have no protection if the item is not received because you sent it to an unverified address on the ebay account. I do this whether they are repeat buyers or not. If they have already purchased the item you tell them you will cancel the sale at their request not yours as you will get a defect from Ebay, and then tell them to repurchase the item with the correct address.

Message 15 of 27
latest reply