cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling/ Is there a way to block buyers who have feedback less than say 10?

Just wondering, I seem to be getting buyers who eBay says have been members for years but have feedback scores of 1 or 5. Suspect possible scammers.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Selling/ Is there a way to block buyers who have feedback less than say 10?

@oldnumi If you go to seller hub and you can change some buyer requirements. I don't believe you can stop a buyer from purchasing based on feedback number but you can stop buyers who have more then 2 unpaid item cases opened against them. Best of luck to you....

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

No.  In fact I had an eBay rep lie to me outright and say yes. 

You can block bidders by their feedback but only if the feedback is in the negative, which hasn't been possible for a buyer to have in over 10 years, so I don't even know why they retain that.  

And frankly I have had just as many buyers with great feedback not pay for items (or worse) as low or new buyers, it's not really any predictor of anything.  

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

OK, let's do a hypothetical:  Let's pretend that, in the very beginning of eBay, sellers could block buyers with less than 10 feedback.  How many buyers would there be on eBay now?  

Also, have no statistics to prove it, but I bet there are quite a few buyers who have been here a long time, but have not accumulated a boatload of feedback.  Why would that be held against them?  

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@oldnumi wrote:

Just wondering, I seem to be getting buyers who eBay says have been members for years but have feedback scores of 1 or 5. Suspect possible scammers.

I wouldn't suspect that at all........  many buyers don't "do" ebay (the internet)  alot.....they come/go, especially now with so many other internet sites....

It's REALLY easy, with all the negative stories on the boards, to become suspicious of almost anyone....

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

So you think they created accounts and waited several years to scam a Seller?

My experience is that scammers aren't that patient.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

You know i have seen someone with -1 feedback a week ago when checking some scammer accounts based on forum thread.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@oldnumi wrote:

No there is no way to do that, and thank goodness. 

Nothing would scare new buyers away faster than to be shown an item and then told, "Sorry, you are not good enough to buy this".

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Tagging on:     20 years and 30,000 transactions later,    I started at zero

There are many ebay sellers that can manage to struggle thru a day without getting scammed.    One of the things that sets them apart, is that they don't come to the boards to tell us all they had another "Scam free"   day.

In other words,    They don't come here to the boards to tell us about, or speculate about the stuff that did not happen to them today.    Or yesterday,   Or something that might happen, and hasn't yet.

These discussion boards, 

1/2 the threads are sellers complaining about poor sales and "Who's to blame"

1/2 the threads are sellers looking for one more way to block a potential buyer.    One more reason to not give 

a buyer a chance to spend his money.

Block a scammer?     At the same time block an unknown amount,  100?   1,000?    10,000?  of decent and honest money spending potential buyers.     

"They didn't want me on ebay.    So I went some where else and spent my money"

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

There's a whole wide world of hacked and farmed accounts out there for scammers to buy(/hijack all on their own) to up their odds of fooling a victim based on "well they've been a member for x number of years" or even "they have good feedback, too" in some cases. At a few cents, maybe a few dollars, a scammer only has to get a single extra victim to justify buying an older account.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I've been selling on eBay for nearly 23 years. eBay used to allow the seller to block buyers based on low or 0 feedback. I don't know why they removed that setting. The number of scammers on eBay has grown exponentially over the past couple of years and the majority of the scammers (not all) have 0 feedback. While blocking 0 feedback buyers might make it hard for new buyers to build a feedback rating, blocking 0 feedback buyers mostly eliminates your risk of selling to a scammer. It might not eliminate the risk entirely but it will certainly make it far less likely that you will get scammed by a buyer. eBay's seller protection needs to be more proactive in trying to prevent scams rather than correcting the scam after the fact. A simple fix would be to prevent 0 feedback buyers from leaving negative feedback if the seller cancels their bid. eBay should give me more control over my exposure to risky buyers and the fall-out associated with dealing with them. My profit margins simply don't allow any room for scammers. 

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@senumista wrote:

I've been selling on eBay for nearly 23 years. eBay used to allow the seller to block buyers based on low or 0 feedback. I don't know why they removed that setting. 

I believe the setting was -1 or worse, not 0.

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@senumista wrote:

I've been selling on eBay for nearly 23 years. eBay used to allow the seller to block buyers based on low or 0 feedback. I don't know why they removed that setting. The number of scammers on eBay has grown exponentially over the past couple of years and the majority of the scammers (not all) have 0 feedback. While blocking 0 feedback buyers might make it hard for new buyers to build a feedback rating, blocking 0 feedback buyers mostly eliminates your risk of selling to a scammer. It might not eliminate the risk entirely but it will certainly make it far less likely that you will get scammed by a buyer. eBay's seller protection needs to be more proactive in trying to prevent scams rather than correcting the scam after the fact. A simple fix would be to prevent 0 feedback buyers from leaving negative feedback if the seller cancels their bid. eBay should give me more control over my exposure to risky buyers and the fall-out associated with dealing with them. My profit margins simply don't allow any room for scammers. 

This subject has come up here many many many  times.

No offense, but you are mistaken.

There never was such a stetting.

BTW, You responded to a post that was 3 years old. 

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@senumista wrote:

I've been selling on eBay for nearly 23 years. eBay used to allow the seller to block buyers based on low or 0 feedback. I don't know why they removed that setting. .... A simple fix would be to prevent 0 feedback buyers from leaving negative feedback if the seller cancels their bid....

If you cancel a bid, then there is no transaction and no possibility for either party to leave feedback.

As others have noted, it has never been possible to block zero-feedback bidders/buyers. 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply