cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Update: Masks, Hand Sanitizer and Wipes now banned?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Important-information-about-listings-associated-w...

I kinda get the masks, but Hand Sanitizer?  Disinfectant Wipes?  Seems a little over the top/big brother.  Those are normal everyday supplies for most people, unlike the masks....

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 1 of 211
latest reply
210 REPLIES 210

Re: Seller Update: Masks, Hand Sanitizer and Wipes now banned?

Oh, great!!! Now I want peanut butter cups...
Message 16 of 211
latest reply

@wesk_36 wrote:

Ambiguous?....

eBay has a chronic problem with announcements being ambiguous.

In this case, they announced a ban on specific items.  Then they added, "We will continue to monitor the evolving situation and quickly remove any listing that mentions COVID-19, coronavirus, 2019nCoV (except books) in the title or description."  They should have said, "We WILL ALSO remove any listing that mentions COVID-19, coronavirus, or 2019nCoV (except books) in the title or description."

Message 17 of 211
latest reply

They deleted my hand sanitizer listing and I didn't mention anything about viruses.

Message 18 of 211
latest reply

Personally from a consumer standpoint I can understand the logic but from the business standpoint it's all supply and demand.  3M is already a billion dollar company and the government just have them a blank check. You think they are charging the same rates from last year especially after they complained about mask being made in China umm NOPE.. But let the little guy try and make a little money and the whole world is falling apart.  I don't see anybody telling Big Pharma how much to sell drugs for, why does an apartment in Arkansas cost less then one in New York, how does a slice of cheese really cost to make, Finally how much does a gallon of gas really cost to per barrel. No one's monitor these monopolies. Rant over I just think this is just another situation where the rich get richer and everyone else stay off their lawn.. 

Message 19 of 211
latest reply

I just looked and there were 11,610 listings for flu masks

Message 20 of 211
latest reply

One Monday my Safeway was out of two  things--hand sanitizer and rice.

I'd like to hoard See's candy, but it doesn't have a truly long shelf life.

Message 21 of 211
latest reply

@tealt wrote:

One Monday my Safeway was out of two  things--hand sanitizer and rice.

I'd like to hoard See's candy, but it doesn't have a truly long shelf life.

I'd be willing to bet that 75% of those people hoarding rice don't even know how to cook it.

But seriously though, EVERYONE should ALWAYS have at least a couple weeks supplies on hand at all times. We usually keep about a month to six weeks worth always.  I need to keep more but I've just been lazy about it.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 22 of 211
latest reply

What a bunch os **bleep**, no one wss taking the buyers fingers and making the click buy it now. It was a choice, and a freedom ppl should gave to buy what they want at the price they are willing to pay.

No one was forcing anyone to buy anything.

Its market forces, supply and demand. When you have something in short supply, and people want it, they should be allowed to but it at the price they chose to!!!!

Message 23 of 211
latest reply

Pardon my typos.

People spend 100s on cheesecake!

Hand sanitizer could theoretically save their life. As could masks.

At least help.

But thats secondary really, to the freedom people should have to buy what they want, at the price they are willing to pay.

What are we now. China?

Message 24 of 211
latest reply

Furthermore, hand sanitizer and masks was being moved to the areas that actually needed them by the market.

Message 25 of 211
latest reply

@need_kewl_stuff wrote:

But thats secondary really, to the freedom people should have to buy what they want, at the price they are willing to pay.

What are we now. China?

No. In China, they would execute you by firing squad for price gouging.

Message 26 of 211
latest reply

I agree. I have excess masks and sanitizer. I have a choice to keep them or sell them, depending on many factors.

Such as how badly I want them, my imagined risk if I do not have them, the price they are selling for

( market value/demand ).

If I choose to sell them because the price has increased to a point I am willing to sell, that is not gouging.

That is increasing supply, which the market always does when there are excess profits in an area.

Just like the stock market, there are willing buyers and sellers at different price points.

Message 27 of 211
latest reply

Someone tell ebay that ebay has banned hand sanitizer and wipes.

Searched the home page for "hand sanitizer"...

Brand
3M(12)
Bath & Body Works(3,479)
Dettol(26)
EQUATE(433)
Germ-X(167) 
PURELL(1,711)
Unbranded(1,446)
Wet Ones(610)
Message 28 of 211
latest reply

@andrew547 wrote:

Someone tell ebay that ebay has banned hand sanitizer and wipes.

They are starting to pull all those listings.

Have a great day
Message 29 of 211
latest reply

They were out of my favorite box wine at Kroger yesterday.

I can live without hand sanitizer, but running out of wine?

Time to stock up.

Message 30 of 211
latest reply