cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Update: Masks, Hand Sanitizer and Wipes now banned?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Important-information-about-listings-associated-w...

I kinda get the masks, but Hand Sanitizer?  Disinfectant Wipes?  Seems a little over the top/big brother.  Those are normal everyday supplies for most people, unlike the masks....

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 1 of 211
latest reply
210 REPLIES 210

Re: Seller Update: Masks, Hand Sanitizer and Wipes now banned?

they can't control the prices.........and some sellers will try to gouge......which would get the some bad publicity..........

Message 2 of 211
latest reply

Probably eBay doesn't want to get in the middle of (1) arguments about what is a reasonable price vs gouging; (2) scammers who will offer items for prices that are appealing.

Message 3 of 211
latest reply

eBay is saying it's "Due to regulatory restrictions across the United States"- I guess the ban has something to do with unfounded claims that these products can prevent you from getting sick. If sellers were ignoring the announcement from Feb 28th about how to list the products then it was probably easier to ban the products outright than dedicate enough manpower to police the claims in sellers' listings. Purell got in trouble about a month ago for their claims.

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/fda-warns-makers-purell-stop-advertising-prevent-ebola/story?id=6858...

I wonder if they will allow these products back on their site after the COVID-19 outbreak passes.

Message 4 of 211
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Important-information-about-listings-associated-w...

I kinda get the masks, but Hand Sanitizer?  Disinfectant Wipes?  Seems a little over the top/big brother.  Those are normal everyday supplies for most people, unlike the masks....

No, they WERE normal everyday supplies. Now they are being hoarded and are getting harder to find, overpriced or not.

I use them extensively (medical condition) and they are a standard on my monthly grocery order. The market emailed me this morning that they are out of stock on both wipes and hand sanitizer, with no eta on a new shipment. They are also out of stock on certain brands of toilet paper.

To err on the side of caution, I doubled the quantity of nearly everything I usually order monthly (none of which are directly related to virus prevention). My concern is (temporarily) disrupted supply and delivery chains. My doctors have advised me to self-isolate for a while (respiratory and immune system issues) - at least until there is a clear pattern, etc. so I feel that I can live comfortably for a month or two without having to leave the house at all. Thank goodness I am not adverse to re-reading some of the 800 or so books on my shelves.................

Message 5 of 211
latest reply

Short supply is happening all over. I got an e-mail from an office supplier today and part of their message was-

We know your company is working hard to navigate the current landscape and keep employees and customers healthy, so I am reaching out to keep you up to date on product availability related to the Coronavirus (COVID-19).

This past week has seen a spike in demand for certain cleaning and paper products as well as hand sanitizers. In addition, some products may be impacted by manufacturing delays.

Message 6 of 211
latest reply

Unfortunately all of those items will eventually be gouged by unethical people trying to take advantage of the situation to make a buck. Ebay is stopping it before it becomes reality.

Message 7 of 211
latest reply

I'm actually surprised that Ebay took such a bold action that will cost them A LOT of money.  Maybe they're beginning to care about their reputation. It's two decades too late, but I guess they've got to start somewhere.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 8 of 211
latest reply

I'm hoarding Twinkies and Reeses peanut butter cups.  😉 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 9 of 211
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

I'm hoarding Twinkies and Reeses peanut butter cups.  😉 

not sorry😯

Message 10 of 211
latest reply

Ambiguous?

They are not banning "Masks including N95/N100 and surgical masks"

unless the listing mentions "COVID-19, coronavirus, 2019nCoV".

"We will continue to monitor the evolving situation and quickly remove any listing that mentions COVID-19, coronavirus, 2019nCoV (except books) in the title or description."

So if they are called "air pollution masks" or "dust masks" or "N95  Masks" "Particulate mask" or "Respirator masks," "paint masks" or whatever, they stay as apparent by the hundreds of new listings created after the "Effective immediately  time"

Wont do a thing to eliminate the listings or high prices, just a lot of "ebay noise" imo.

I also don't believe ebay will ban Hand Sanitizer or Disinfecting Wipes either

unless, again, the listing mentions COVID-19, coronavirus, 2019nCoV

I think ebay is referring to the earlier announcement about "Health claims and misuse of keywords: titles and item descriptions containing health claims and misusing terms such as "Coronavirus", "Covid-19", ‘Virus”, "epidemic" are prohibited."

just my opinion

-------------
Posting ID
Message 11 of 211
latest reply

Kroger (grocery store) put out an announcement they are putting a 5 item limit on those items along with cold and flu medicine...
Others said to think of others and quit hoarding.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 12 of 211
latest reply

Pandemic virus test kits now available, from a brand spankin' new seller. Note the clever non-use of the word coronavirus or Covid-19.

Quack, quack, quack...

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 13 of 211
latest reply

@wesk_36 wrote:

Ambiguous?

"We will continue to monitor the evolving situation and quickly remove any listing that mentions COVID-19, coronavirus, 2019nCoV (except books) in the title or description."

So if they are called "air pollution masks" or "dust masks" or "N95  Masks" "Particulate mask" or "Respirator masks," "paint masks" or whatever, they stay as apparent by the hundreds of new listings created after the "Effective immediately  time"

Wont do a thing to eliminate the listings or high prices, just a lot of "ebay noise" imo.

I think ebay is referring to the earlier announcement about "Health claims and misuse of keywords: titles and item descriptions containing health claims and misusing terms such as "Coronavirus", "Covid-19", ‘Virus”, "epidemic" are prohibited."

just my opinion

Not sure but wouldn't think this person had anything about the virus in their listing
It was only a Victoria Secret hand sanitizing gel & they are pulling already it appears.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Member-To-Member-Support/Anti-bacterial-Sanitizing-Gel-listing-removed...

Message 14 of 211
latest reply

@wesk_36 wrote:

Ambiguous?

just my opinion

I am totally incorrect as per this post

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Are-Purell-amp-Hand-Sanitizing-Products-allowed-to-be-listed-i...

-------------
Posting ID
Message 15 of 211
latest reply