cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SELLERS ONLY! EBAY sending out 1099-K is ABSURD + gonna waste EONS of time for sellers @ tax time

REAL SELLERS ONLY      NO ANNOYING PEDANTIC moderator/BOTS       Your comments are unwanted and frankly offensive.       To the real sellers only: Gods chosen.   A 1099-K turned in to IRS gonna make you reconcile EVERY sale U had.   You go over the 5K    You sell bunch cheap stuff, say 250 transactions for 6K.   This going to IRS and you have to go over all and   come up with a  COST of EACH item.   Ebay gonna furnish GROSS PROFIT  they huge cut and shipping like you see on seller hub for net sales.    BUTTTTTT   I ain't got a clue what I paid 15 yrs ago for something.    Only things that I know profit on is, FREE AKA things given to me and something recently bought and can see what I paid.

DO the IRS really thing you is gonna tell truth???????   U win $100 on Superbowl bet that taxable.   U played poker 2 times and won $60 report.   You grew and sold tomatoes from you backyard for $$$   

This may shame a few into reporting small profits so reckon it be a small profit to IRS as well as a big job

ALSO for all the Little Goody 2-Shoe bragging about  they report to IRS   why would they not donate those  profit to charity????????????   better giving to Gov to squander

Message 1 of 58
latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

Re: SELLERS ONLY! EBAY sending out 1099-K is ABSURD + gonna waste EONS of time for sellers @ tax t

@6al_4v wrote:

that was only a suggestion to show how easy reporting fraudsters can be... relax, i ain't the snitch around here....

It was a suggestion in violation of the Community Policies.  These threads are moderated, it doesn't mean anyone "snitch[ed]" on you.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/About-the-Community/Community-Guidelines/td-p/26164369

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 31 of 58
latest reply

Re: SELLERS ONLY! EBAY sending out 1099-K is ABSURD + gonna waste EONS of time for sellers @ tax t

There are nights when the dogs are silent and the moon howls.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 32 of 58
latest reply

Same here, end of each month I do up my paperwork(sales, inventory, mileage etc), every quarter I send in an estimated tax check, mid year I drop off the paperwork with my accountant and again 1st week of Jan. to go over the prior year. My accountant doesn't charge me an ton because I've done most of the work and I get a return every year.

The other thing you have to consider is your yearly income and life time income when it comes to buying anything on credit. Most won't take your word I made this income without proof, plus if  you don't pay into FICA, there won't be any SSI when you retire.

I started selling before there was a 20K-1099 requirement but I wanted to buy a car, nope, no proof of income. Even when though I did keep records, there was no real income proof. I talked to my now accountant, he pointed out that if you don't contribute to FICA, there won't be any SSI to retire on.

Message 33 of 58
latest reply

@chapeau-noir 

Or the cats...they don't get along very well with the racoons. 😐

Message 34 of 58
latest reply

I spend all of about an hour a month reconciling my taxes for that month. At the end of the year I plug it into the tax software. I don't pay an accountant for anything (though I do get the software).

BTW, if the IRS catches you with non-payment of something (in my case it was an investment that had cashed out but I didn't get the notification because my address change hadn't propagated through the investment company's system) they can be pretty darned starchy.

If you find you have a problem and contact THEM, they are as helpful as can be, polite and courteous.  So yeah, best to stay clean.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 35 of 58
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@6al_4v wrote:

that was only a suggestion to show how easy reporting fraudsters can be... relax, i ain't the snitch around here....

It was a suggestion in violation of the Community Policies.  These threads are moderated, it doesn't mean anyone "snitch[ed]" on you.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/About-the-Community/Community-Guidelines/td-p/26164369

i wasn't suggesting anyone here snitched on my post... i was meaning i had no intention of reporting the op to the IRS.... OK??????

as for the forum rules being violated ... well sorry about that.... i'm a rebel lol

everyone has trouble trying to reel me in

Message 36 of 58
latest reply

@rosemary6525 

... comments are unwanted and frankly offensive. 

Then why do you insist on continuing to come back every few days to engage this subject again?

A 1099-K turned in to IRS gonna make you reconcile EVERY sale U had.

Because it is a form created and required by the IRS for certain circumstances.

You go over the 5K    You sell bunch cheap stuff, say 250 transactions for 6K.   This going to IRS and you have to go over all and   come up with a  COST of EACH item.   

The 2023 thresholds on this form was 20,000 and at least 200 transaction.  The IRS is CONSIDERING a $5,000 threshold for 2024, but it has not yet been decided.

Ebay gonna furnish GROSS PROFIT  they huge cut and shipping like you see on seller hub for net sales. 

This is one of the misunderstandings you have.  Ebay does NOT report "gross profit" for ANY seller.  They simply do not have access to all the information to determine this.  Not all seller's costs are represented in Ebay records.

Besides the 1099K form reports Gross Receipts which is NOT the same as gross profit.  The form reports all incoming money into the seller's account by buyers without regard to shipping costs, refunds, fees paid to Ebay, etc.  You have to reconcile the form to arrive at your net taxable income by subtracting all your expenses from the Gross Receipts amount.

BUTTTTTT   I ain't got a clue what I paid 15 yrs ago for something.   

That is a problem many sellers are faced with.  I did provide you with some links on one of your darn threads to help you figure out how to do this in a way that IRS accepts.

DO the IRS really thing you is gonna tell truth??????? 

Many of us do as we are aware of how bad it can get and how expensive it can get if the IRS audits you and find that you haven't been reporting all your income.

Some online sellers hid their income from IRS for years, which is exactly why the IRS created the 1099K in 2012.

This may shame a few into reporting small profits so reckon it be a small profit to IRS as well as a big job

ALSO for all the Little Goody 2-Shoe bragging about  they report to IRS   

This is a big assumption on  your part.  While we are required to report all our income, that doesn't necessarily mean you Tax debt will increase.  For a large number of small and casual sellers, the actual profit [after all costs are deducted] doesn't make any significant impact to the income taxes owed.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 37 of 58
latest reply

I'm a rock-throwing radical Goody 2-Shoes, with the mad skillz of fourth grade math.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 38 of 58
latest reply

I'm a rock-throwing radical Goody 2-Shoes, with the mad skillz of fourth grade math.

Love it. 

laugh.jpg

Message 39 of 58
latest reply

"ALSO for all the Little Goody 2-Shoe bragging about  they report to IRS "

Doing the right thing and obeying the law makes you a goody two shoes? Not where I come from.  

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 40 of 58
latest reply

First of all, we are ALL God's chosen people.  What each individual does with that is up to them.  Also, if you really believe that you are among God's chosen why would you expect anyone to think it is okay for you to steal?

Not paying taxes is just that, so the fact that you don't like it doesn't make it right.  You need to re-think  your intentions and so some serious soul searching instead of ranting about doing what you KNOW is the right thing to do.  

Message 41 of 58
latest reply

WOW you got a Kigillion lures for sale & almost perfect FB minus 1 $^&**      Some vintage   how world u come up with profit or loss on something so old?????????????        

Message 42 of 58
latest reply

Most sellers make their profit when they obtain the items.

Have a great day
Message 43 of 58
latest reply

Yep, alot of yard sales, flea markets and FB. Its not that some are vintage or not, its what I paid for them. I keep records of what I paid for them and where each month, get a total inventory for the month. At the end of the year I total what I bought and what I have left. I still do it old school, pen and paper, then give to my accountant. What my accountant charges is cheaper then paying for a online program and he knows all the rules and short cuts. Since I work out of my home, I can write off half my bills for the business since I use my whole basement. 

I'm in MO and our 1099 cut off is $1200, not $5k or 20K but I've been report income for the last 17+ years so I'll have money put in my SSI to retire on. AND on top of all the work, I'm disable but ebay lets me work around my down times. Disability wouldn't cover my house payment and I won't let it get the best of me, I love my kids but no way do I want live with them again lol.

You've heard from other sellers saying you have to pay taxes, its not that they want to either but that's life. If I wanted to run ebay as a side hassle, there's a way but I couldn't buy a house, car or even get loan without some kind of income on paper.

Message 44 of 58
latest reply

The age of the item doesn't matter when coming up with a value.  Purchase items at auctions and you get a receipt.  If it's a garage sale item, write down the price.  If it's an item from your home, use the donation value from Goodwill as a price.  Cost of goods is calculated by you.  I agree with @tsme35 -- even though I don't make much, it adds to my income and will raise my social security (whether it is there or not when I retire is another story!)

It is the right thing to do and I am an honest person.  Questioning it makes others question your character.  Character is what you do when nobody is watching.  Except...the IRS is watching.  I read about others who report eBay sellers to the IRS, as there is a reward.  Better hope those people don't read your thread and the others who chimed in in agreement.   

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 45 of 58
latest reply