cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruled Against in a Chargeback Dispute - but I provided PROOF OF DELIVERY?

Hi all,

Got notified of a chargeback dispute, seller "did not recognize the transaction." Turns out tracking from the USPS was borked for some reason, showed as never having left the post office. Odd.  So, I went to the post office and asked about it. They provided proof of delivery from their own internal systems, a computer printout from their intranet. Provided this to eBay, was still ruled against. Fortunately it was only a $20 item, so the money isn't the issue, it's the PRINCIPLE. Any advice for me here?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@the-mtb-recyclist wrote:

Hi all,

Got notified of a chargeback dispute, seller "did not recognize the transaction." Turns out tracking from the USPS was borked for some reason, showed as never having left the post office. Odd.  So, I went to the post office and asked about it. They provided proof of delivery from their own internal systems, a computer printout from their intranet. Provided this to eBay, was still ruled against. Fortunately it was only a $20 item, so the money isn't the issue, it's the PRINCIPLE. Any advice for me here?

eBay's seller protection requires delivery confirmation to be viewable online from an integrated carrier. 

Although you found proof of delivery, it was only viewable on a computer printout provided by you which does not meet the standard required by Seller Protection.

It sucks that you hired the USPS to deliver a package on your behalf, and they failed you. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Some missing pieces of information. When you say notified of a chargeback did eBay require you to respond to the chargeback and did you do so? Generally these are pretty easy wins for the seller and at one point eBay was handling these without seller input since they have all the information to prove that the buyer purchased the item and shipped it. 

An Item Not Received (INR) is a different type of chargeback and the seller would have had to respond to the chargeback by uploading the shipping information proving delivery, which apparently did not exist. When you initially checked the tracking did you do so from the eBay interface or did you go directly to USPS Tracking and pull the information? I have had occasions where the eBay tracking and the USPS tracking have been out of sync. 

If the CC company sided with the buyer because of the incorrect tracking you can try appealing the decision and upload the tracking information you obtained from the USPS which they should have also updated on USPS Tracking. 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

You should report this Buyer to EBay for a fraud. It's the most recent fraud some people commit on EBay by using their credit card institutions. I've been in such position as a Seller as well. I hope EBay will clear out the platform by restricting such "Buyers".

P.S. You may try to appeal the case, but it's more likely you'll loose, and you will be charged additional $20 for the lost case.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@the-mtb-recyclist wrote:

Hi all,

eBay's seller protection requires delivery confirmation to be viewable online from an integrated carrier. 

Although you found proof of delivery, it was only viewable on a computer printout provided by you which does not meet the standard required by Seller Protection.

It sucks that you hired the USPS to deliver a package on your behalf, and they failed you. 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Did you create a web ticket for USPS on their website?

I've had numerous trackings updated to reflect delivery.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Thanks, great idea, but too late now, I think! Noted for future reference.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

>>>

>>>

Indeed, realized this after posting. I'm SOL! Fortunately it was only a small transaction. Thanks for the reply!

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

They did, I did, but as LuckyTheWinner pointed out, since the 'proof' of delivery wasn't online for them to verify, I'm SOL. Ah well! These things happen. Thanks for the reply!

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

is it the fault of eBay.m eBay seems they never admit to be at fault  on this issue.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Sorry but no that isn't the fault of eBay. It's fault of the carrier who isn't providing accurate information causes eBay to be uncertain of the situation.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Also; some banks allow chargebacks up to 6 months, but tracking online is only available for 4 months...so nothing would show?

Message 11 of 11
latest reply