cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Require immediate payment with Buy It Now..... OR NOT?

Hi, wondering what other sellers think about (or if there is some sort of consensus) whether or not it's better to "Require Immediate Payment" when using "Buy it Now". I've always just required it, but now I'm wondering if perhaps it's better not to. Or better not to under certain circumstances, or with certain items. 

What are the pros and cons?

Does Requiring Immediate Payment sometimes discourage sales? 

Does NOT Requiring Immediate Payment lead to more problems?

I appreciate any thoughts or information on this. Thank you. 

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: Require immediate payment with Buy It Now..... OR NOT?

Absolutely you should do it.  Name one other site on the internet that allows you to "buy" something and then hold off paying for 4 days or not pay at all.  None allow it.  Every single site requires you pay immediately (unless you have prior accommodations like a net 30 account) when you click the buy button.  

Buyers expect to pay when they click the button.  You won't scare buyers off by requiring immediate payment and the few that do move on are usually buyers you don't want.  Personally I wish eBay would require prior payment authorization for any bid or accepted offer.  If you want to buy, bid or make an offer you should be required to have your payment already in place and ready to go instead of the idiotic method they have now.  

Message 16 of 35
latest reply

I like this feature as a buyer when it comes to making offers. 

Before - Make offer, wait for seller to accept, go and pay.

Now - Make offer, pay, if they accept, sale is complete. 

Saves lots of time. The only downside is I dont know the purchase goes through, there is no notification. You have to go to your purchase history and confirm. 

As a seller, of course you want Require immediate payment on every listing. Why wouldn't you? 

Message 17 of 35
latest reply

@caldreamer wrote:

Absolutely you should require immediate payment (otherwise you will be just waiting around and they may never pay).

GIF_picard-patrick-stewart_8.gif

It's a NO BRAINER! IMMEDIATE PAYMENT or do you want to be in limbo for days waiting for payment that may never happen. In today's climate, there's more chances of dud buyers. Just like shoplifting at stores has gone wild, so are non payers.

Message 18 of 35
latest reply

I had always required immediate payment, but last week e-Bay permitted a buyer from Saudi to have four days to remit. After entering the item page, I learned my IPR line was grayed-out. Four days of crickets, he defaulted and was added to my BBL by me. In addition, the IPR line has been grayed-out for all of my listings. I have no interest in sales that permit 96 hrs. for payment.

Message 19 of 35
latest reply

I'm curious whether other sellers not using IPR are having buyers not pay on fixed price listings.  My husband puts it on a few of his items, but I never use IPR and haven't had a buyer wait to pay in several years on those.  I actually thought I recalled ebay announcing a few years ago that they would require immediate payments on items (I think less than $1000.) for fixed price listings whether the seller clicks IPR or not.   I figured that's why all mine pay immediately.

Message 20 of 35
latest reply

I do not understand why any seller would NOT require immediate payment. That is all I use, and I am paid each and every time a buyer purchases something. The one thing different is those sellers who have things that buyers want more than one of. Even then, a buyer can just put the items in their cart.

Message 21 of 35
latest reply

But why, oh why, don't they pay?! 😟

Message 22 of 35
latest reply

If someone wants to buy something, but have no money is not a buyer. 

Message 23 of 35
latest reply

Buyers of multiple items can contact the seller and work out a good and fair package deal. It happened with me many times. It can be done via offers or just removing the immediate payment requirement from the specific items. There are too many non-paying people on eBay, don't help them.

Message 24 of 35
latest reply

I sure wish I could require immediate payment, I’ve been left hanging multiple times now even as a new seller. I can’t seem to find the option on my eBay app or even my MacBook.

Message 25 of 35
latest reply

@brainbustertoysandcollectibles 

You should be able to bulk edit on your MacBook.  In sellers hub active listing check off the ones that you want to make IPR or just check off the box at the top, click on edit - all or selected listings.  In bulk edit check click on the box next to your listings, click on edit then scroll down to - payment options - under require immediate payment check off change to all.

Or on your listing page, scroll down to Preferences near the bottom and you will see the option to require immediate payment.

Message 26 of 35
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

I'm curious whether other sellers not using IPR are having buyers not pay on fixed price listings.  My husband puts it on a few of his items, but I never use IPR and haven't had a buyer wait to pay in several years on those.  I actually thought I recalled ebay announcing a few years ago that they would require immediate payments on items (I think less than $1000.) for fixed price listings whether the seller clicks IPR or not.   I figured that's why all mine pay immediately.

The only time I do not get paid right away is when an international customer buys several items, puts them in their cart and requests an invoice. By the way that is something I encourage international buyers to do. For domestic buyers it isn't necessary as I put everything out with free shipping so there is no shipping to combine.

Beyond that I can not remember the last time I have to file an Item Not Paid claim.

I wonder how much of this angst is simply a solution in search of a problem.

Message 27 of 35
latest reply

So true , I think some buyers can't stand to lose an auction ,but when they win it they don't pay , it's a tremendous waste of time , it's a matter of luck how often you come across these people , my luck has been bad recently so ime just doing buy it now.

Message 28 of 35
latest reply

I would never change that requirement. People are seeing and incredible increase of people bidding on and bidding up auctions and they not paying at all. You will get people who will stall your payment give you all kinds of trouble. Do not dot it without immediate payment requires. If they do not have the cash then do not buy it.

Message 29 of 35
latest reply

We don't require it, because we love combined orders and it's not too uncommon.  We're a bigger business than some and can afford to wait with an item off the market, however, so for smaller sellers it's usually recommended.  Just think about the possible positives and negatives of that setting, though.

Message 30 of 35
latest reply