cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent feedback changes highly offensive and unfair to the best sellers

It started with Concierge Sellers losing their four complimentary feedbacks per quarter.  I know that buyers love to complain about having their feedback removed, but Concierge Sellers represent the best sellers on eBay; the sellers that have a long history of providing excellent customer service. We NEVER went through our complimentary feedback removal quota, but it was a very useful features to eliminate feedback that was, for lack of a better term "crazy." This includes people leaving negative or neutral feedback without reaching out to the seller for a resolution (we ALWAYS provide resolutions for our buyers), leaving feedback because they have had a bad day at work, or leaving feedback that has nothing whatsoever to do with the transaction. NONE of these are strict policy violations. And now, sellers can do nothing about them.

Next, eBay "automated" the feedback review system. No longer could we talk to a representative to make what is often a complex case. Here is a good example: a buyer left us a Neutral feedback - in Korean - which said "sorry for the late feedback." In other words, feedback that had nothing to do with the product or the transaction. Whenever I receive a negative or neutral, I always do two things:

1) Reach out to the buyer to see if there is an unresolved problem. In this case (and in almost every case where people leave Negative or Neutral feedback without communication), I got no response. If the buyer does not respond, they get blocked from shopping at our store. And we ALWAYS try to resolve their issue (if there is one) BEFORE asking for a feedback revision.

2) Look at the feedback they left for other sellers. In this case, buyer left 13 feedbacks: 2 positive, 1 negative and 10 NEUTRAL. This means that he left feedback other than positive more than 80% of the time. When I contacted eBay about this, they said that there was nothing they could do because the buyer didn't violate any policies. Either this is the unluckiest buyer on eBay, they don't understand the purpose of feedback, or they simply like to crap on the lawns of good sellers (I researched the sellers as well)

eBay REALLY needs to take a good hard look at the fairness to sellers of the feedback system. Here are some ideas:

1) Get rid of automated feedback review. Let a seller make their case to a human.

2) Deny the buyer the ability to leave Neutral or Negative feedback unless they have reached out to the seller with their problem, opened a return or a case. Good sellers deserve the chance to make things right before feedback is left.  We ALWAYS do, and in 26 years on eBay, I can count on the fingers of one hand the times where we were not able to make a buyer happy. 

3) Remove the N/N "Frequent Flyers" from the platform. They are people, like this buyer, who routinely leave negative and neutral feedback for no good reason.  Pretty much anyone who sells to people like this buyer are going to get Neutral or Negative feedback.

4) Expand the definition of "Feedback Abuse" to include irrelevant feedback.

5) Require feedback on ebay.com to be left in English (or translated to English). Readers who see Negative or Neutral feedback, can infer the worst from feedback that they cannot read. Feedback that cannot be translated should be rejected by the system.

The objective is to create a FAIR feedback system for everyone. These fixes would do that. 

After all, eBay is all about transparency, right?

Message 1 of 152
latest reply
151 REPLIES 151

Re: Recent feedback changes highly offensive and unfair to the best sellers

It is currently near-impossible to get feedback removed. It would have to explicitly violate eBay feedback policy which is extremely narrow. eBay does not screen feedback at all before it is posted. Even Amazon does that. Usually takes a few days for feedback to show up there. And on Amazon, feedback is rarely about the seller, since it is a product-oriented site. eBay is the opposite, yet it allows feedback about the product to be expressed in seller reviews. IMO, unless the seller did not properly describe the product, product reviews should be separate.

That is how it should be.  If it doesn't break policy, then it shouldn't be removed.  Ebay has never claimed to review FB before it gets posted, so any expectation that they should do that will only leave you disappointed.

Amazon is completely different in how they do FB and it is worse that Ebay IMHO.  On Amazon, if the FB is actually a product review, you can get it removed.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 121 of 152
latest reply

You seem to be a great seller with only one negative. With that many sales, good for you! You experienced what we have experienced with people who leave negative and neutral feedbacks: they routinely never send a message that they are unhappy (not even when we reach out after they leave feedback). There are people who seem to have a fetish for damaging seller stats - particularly if you have 100% positive. In these cases, I see what feedback they have left for other sellers 9/10 times, there is a pattern of this behavior across multiple sellers. Either they are the unluckiest buyers in the world, or they simply love to do damage. You can block them from future listings, but by then the damage has been done. 

Strange that people don't seem to care too much about negative seller feedback on Amazon, but they sure do on eBay!

That one neg wouldn't be there if I had a concierge at the time because it would have been auto removed.

When a seller can prove that a buyer is abusing the FB system, they have a fighting chance to get the FB removed and the buyer sanctioned.

You keep bringing up Amazon and I don't know why.  Ebay and Amazon are extremely different sites.  Amazon has lifetime FB which is very harmful to sellers.  Very few buyers bother to leave FB.  And of those that bother it is usually because they are upset by something.  It misrepresents how good of a seller they likely are because of this.  On Amz you can't care or it would drive you nuts.

Message 122 of 152
latest reply

@broto_64 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

I would tend to agree with what you said 100 percent and getting called out as a possible person abusing a customer would absolutely NOT BE YOU. I understand what you are saying. Good sellers would not venture one iota into hurting their customer base on here and risking their business. We all know how important reputation is on this website and it can be Blasted TO SMITHEREENS ON HERE by an unhappy customer.

So does that mean you support certain sellers to have a given number of negatives they can have removed with or without cause?  Removed just because it exists?

*Removed just because it exists* is to me exactly what would happen if ebay implements any sort of feedback removal policy. Lets face it, their removal policy is so narrow that even feedback that meets the criteria often isn't removed, so now what happens?  

What happens is sellers will try anything and everything, all the time, every time they get a less than positive feedback.

Why, because it exists.

And that's the whole problem in a nutshell, any system like that will be abused.

I'm unsure of what you are addressing.  Ebay, until recently allowed sellers like the OP to get a certain amount of negatives removed in a 90 day period whether they broke a rule or not.  Whether the buyer had a legit complaint or not.

If a seller is having a problem getting FB that meets something in the rules to get it removed, they need to keep trying.  As we all know, CSRs are not always right.  So it could take a few attempts.

But Ebay will never get in the middle of a he said / she said.  They never have.

Message 123 of 152
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

Yes, I would imagine that they do sanction accounts regularly where several reports are submitted and we have no idea what has happened. It would be good business for them and everybody else on here. So, you are right. I am particularly vexed by my recent bad transaction for sure.

I know you are and but it all turned out just fine for you.  You keep saying the buyer wasn't sanctioned, but you simply do not know that to be true.  They may have.  You will likely never know.

Message 124 of 152
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

In any of the cases which have been few if any since we rarely get negative feedback, using the concierge, these what you call Complimentary feedback removals are not for any ole reason. They MUST meet the criteria to be removed, they are not just granted for ANY bad feedback. That has been my experience with the concierge. If they feel that 4 per quarter are too much, then great, narrow it down more so that the people you encountered cannot get that many. But, for the rest of the allowed one’s left. THERE STILL has to be a good reason  and meet the criteria for removal.

Well that is interesting.  If they are only removed for cause, then there would be no need for the program in the first place or any cap on getting them removed.  Sellers in general do not have a cap of getting 4 negs removed in a quarter for cause.  We can get as many as needed removed for cause.

I've been on the buyer end of an auto removal before.  My FB did not break any FB rule / policy.  Yet the seller got it removed quite rapidly.  So I'm not sure what you are outlining is really how it works.

Message 125 of 152
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

Absolutely not. The feedback removal HAS TO MEET CRITERIA. 

Then that is the same for all sellers.  So if what you say is true, there simply is no need for this special process if a seller has a Concierge.  We all are treated the same according to you, but that doesn't seem to be true.

Message 126 of 152
latest reply

@wilsonharborsales wrote:

The reason eBay had to change the feedback policy is because the YouTube paid membership groups told their subscribers that ‘if they just keep calling’, someone would remove the feedback.  eBay customer service reps were receiving hundreds of phone calls a day.  Certain accounts were calling dozens of times a day.

The paid membership groups were also giving out the concierge phone number for a fee.  That meant that everyone and their brother had access to concierge.

The concierge being called should have known if the seller calling was actually one of their accounts.

Message 127 of 152
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

That would not be good for customer confidence. Again, I am emphasizing that the concierge does not remove feedback that does not meet criteria. Concierge or not.

I'm with mam on this one.  This whole thread has reinforced my belief that feedback is rather useless.  The OP sure didn't sound like they were upset about not being able to get feedback that met removal criteria removed.  They stated they are offended by losing the 12 (oops 16) complimentary removals per year, which sounds like removal  just because.

So basically buyers have no way to know if the seller is actually good, or do they look good because they are in a special group.

Message 128 of 152
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

That would not be good for customer confidence. Again, I am emphasizing that the concierge does not remove feedback that does not meet criteria. Concierge or not.

I'm with mam on this one.  This whole thread has reinforced my belief that feedback is rather useless.  The OP sure didn't sound like they were upset about not being able to get feedback that met removal criteria removed.  They stated they are offended by losing the 12 (oops 16) complimentary removals per year, which sounds like removal  just because.

So basically buyers have no way to know if the seller is actually good, or do they look good because they are in a special group.

Here is the kind of feedback that I would have had removed under the old system: A buyer left a neutral feedback. He said: "Will use this item in the future."  It doesn't relate to either the product or the buying experience at all. How is it relevant when a buyer will use a product? It doesn't help inform other buyers. It's just craziness. That is why I proposed making irrelevant feedback a violation of policy. We used to be able to get these removed. 

At the time of this writing, we have zero negative feedbacks. You might ask why I wrote the original post? The reason is that one negative or neutral appears to be an invitation for others to do the same. This has been mt experience over 26 years selling on eBay. For years, we had complimentary feedback removals of 4 per quarter. I think that we used only around 4 over the years. None of the feedbacks we had removed were truthful and relevant. Why? Because we picture and describe our items accurately and completely, offer excellent customer service and 30 days seller paid returns. Lying, ironically, is NOT a violation. A buyer can leave a negative feedback saying: "Item was broken" for items that both are sold as Parts or Repair and have had the fact that it was broken disclosed in the listing. Why should something like that not be removable? Should a seller be punished because a buyer didn't read the listing?

Message 129 of 152
latest reply

I'm not new and have received my fair share of good, bad & ugly feedback.   Some qualified for removal, but my beef is the "complimentary" removals you speak of for some big time sellers or "best sellers" as you put it.   Possibly this practice has spoiled it for everyone.  The highly offensive and unfairness seems to me what some sellers are experiencing now in situations where their bad feedbacks appear to qualify for removal, but now aren't being removed.   A recent poster with a buyer requested cancellation received a negative that wasn't removed---that seems wrong.

Message 130 of 152
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

Most of us don't think that feedback is useless, but 100% feedback (or close to it) doesn't mean what it should.  A lot of buyers absolutely check feedback before pulling the trigger on a purchase.  Yep, if I see 95% feedback, I'm probably not buying.  100% feedback, sure, but none of us are fooled into thinking that it is necessarily an accurate portrayal of what past buyers have experienced. 

I have given a couple of well-deserved negs that were quickly removed - as a buyer, that is disappointing.  That doesn't mean that the buyer is trash - one of the negs I gave was to a seller from which I've bought on ~24 occasions.   ~23 times, great feedback, one time, a neg.  I continued to buy from him - but that neg removal told me everything that I needed to know about the trustworthiness of a 100% rating.  

Message 131 of 152
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

I'm not new and have received my fair share of good, bad & ugly feedback.   Some qualified for removal, but my beef is the "complimentary" removals you speak of for some big time sellers or "best sellers" as you put it.   Possibly this practice has spoiled it for everyone.  The highly offensive and unfairness seems to me what some sellers are experiencing now in situations where their bad feedbacks appear to qualify for removal, but now aren't being removed.   A recent poster with a buyer requested cancellation received a negative that wasn't removed---that seems wrong.

A good reason to deny people who cancel the ability to leave feedback. Feedback should be reserved for completed transactions, not buyer-initiated cancellations.

Message 132 of 152
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

I agree.  And it is even more insulting to the rest of us when sellers with this benefit holds themselves out to be the Best of the best sellers on the site.  They have had the complimentary removal of negative FB, I have not.  If I had that benefit, I too would have no negatives.

Message 133 of 152
latest reply

@vssoutlet wrote:

@fern*wood wrote:

A good reason to deny people who cancel the ability to leave feedback. Feedback should be reserved for completed transactions, not buyer-initiated cancellations.

Not all cancellations are by the buyer's request.  Some sellers that find the need to cancel a transaction will cancel it using the reason that the buyer asked for the cancellation to avoid a defect, when the buyer never asked.

Message 134 of 152
latest reply

@vssoutlet wrote:

@fern*wood wrote:

The big issue with that is:  many, or most sellers (not to say all sellers) will request that the buyer cancel the transaction because they can't fulfill it, and then cancel with the reason "buyer requested" even though and despite the fact that the buyer replied and said, quote, "No, I don't want to cancel, I want to receive the item I bought and paid for".

Been there, done that.

Message 135 of 152
latest reply