cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential Fraud Buy

Sold an item last night for $129.99. Was about to print the shipping label when I noticed the address was a bit odd.. appears to be a random bowling alley in Delaware. Did a search on Google and the exact address came up in scams involving Chinese buyers purchasing items, then after 90 days claiming the item never arrived and getting refunds.

What's my play here? I don't want to ship this item. How do I properly cancel this order, notify eBay of a potential fraudulent buyer and relist my item without getting dinged?

Message 1 of 67
latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

Re: Potential Fraud Buy

What emerald said is true as being careful what CS reps say, but also be careful with what posters here say. Telling you to lie may not work out well.

Message 46 of 67
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

What emerald said is true as being careful what CS reps say, but also be careful with what posters here say. Telling you to lie may not work out well.

Who do you feel is telling him to lie?

Like I said I am trying to find what problem with address actually means.

But after seeing the guy with the computer and everyone basically telling him tough luck, I feel we need to protect ourselves when it comes to ebay.

If this address is associated with scammers waiting 90 days to file, and we know you are not protected for SNAD under paypal, then again imo that is definitely a problem with this address.

Message 47 of 67
latest reply

OP, if time is running out for your handling time, you could try PMing one of the blues. I know they're probably inundated with messages, though, so only suggest this as a last resort if the timeframe is absolutely critical. They're usually great at responding to pings here.

Belle
Message 48 of 67
latest reply

@southernfriedbelle wrote:

OP, if time is running out for your handling time, you could try PMing one of the blues. I know they're probably inundated with messages, though, so only suggest this as a last resort if the timeframe is absolutely critical. They're usually great at responding to pings here.

The item sold last night so I still have another day before my shipping deadline

Message 49 of 67
latest reply

If I remember correctly, for another question, while Trinton said that ebay and paypal policies have some similarities he really cannot answer for paypal when their rules differ.

So OP needs to contact paypal directly.

Message 50 of 67
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

If I remember correctly, for another question, while Trinton said that ebay and paypal policies have some similarities he really cannot answer for paypal when their rules differ.

Why would this be a PayPal issue and not an eBay issue?

Message 51 of 67
latest reply

@watervsanchor wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

Why would this be a PayPal issue and not an eBay issue?

Because with ebay, if a buyer uses a forwarder once it reaches that forwarder you are covered - period - for both INR and SNAD.

With pypal you are covered for INR but not SNAD.

And since ebay and paypal are two separate companies, and if the buyer files after 30 days, he would be filing under paypal.

Message 52 of 67
latest reply

@themagicmountain wrote:

Thats not true. You can cancel if the address cant be confirmed.

What type of confirmation are you talking about? Neither PP or ebay requires you to send to a confirmed address so I can't imagine that they would tell you to cancel because an address is not confirmed.

Message 53 of 67
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@missjen316 wrote:

@Anonymous can the OP here safely cancel this transaction as "problem with buyers address"?

Hopefully trinton will reply with what is OK to do. From my prospective if the address is valid on paypal and says OK to ship then you are telling this OP to LIE.  From my understanding all you need is verified address and TRACKING to prove delivery. If the item is reshipped a buyer claim cannot be submitted.

OP, the link you provided just had complainers about the situation but no results.

Well just so no one is confused here, I wasn't the one who told him to lie, I actually said since he received a valid shipping address he needs to ship. I understand the OP's reluctance but its still a legit sale at this point and to cancel using the address option wouldn't be right IMO. I am pretty sure Trinton and/or Heidi has addressed this and said that the seller needs to ship and cannot use "problem with buyers address" but I don't recall which thread it was on. I tagged Trinton because getting a clear answer will not only help the OP but it will also help others who face the same dilema.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 54 of 67
latest reply

If I read on the internet that overseas scammers have used a particular reshipper I consider it similar to reading the boards here.  It seems like there are many more scams on ebay when you read the boards because people write about problems, not the good transactions. So for every 'bad' ebay transaction there are thousands of good ones.   A reshipper may have shipped packages for 10,000 buyers who never caused sellers a problem so I don't think we should assume that someone is a scammer just because they show a reshipper.

Message 55 of 67
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@missjen316 wrote:

@Anonymous can the OP here safely cancel this transaction as "problem with buyers address"?

This would not qualify as an address that has a problem. While I understand that the address has been searched for online and some information has been found that raised concerns for the OP, this would not be grounds to cancel the sale. If the address provided is valid, we would expect the item be shipped. Discovering the delivery address is a bowling alley or a forwarding service is not an issue, as items can be delivered to both of these kinds of businesses. If the seller has any additional concerns they would like reviewed, they can reach out to Customer Service to discuss this further.

Message 56 of 67
latest reply

Thank you Trinton! 

Message 57 of 67
latest reply

Any mention in there of ebay and paypal having your back if the transaction goes sideways?

Message 58 of 67
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

Any mention in there of ebay and paypal having your back if the transaction goes sideways?

This is no different than any other sale. The OP has been told what his protections are. 

Message 59 of 67
latest reply

I've researched that ship forwarder and the advice you are giving is wrong. There are many positive reviews for this place. Like any ship forwarder - scammers will find a way to abuse the system - just like they do with FedEx, UPS and USPS.

The address is legit - the buyer paid - the item has to be shipped. Just because a few people had problems does not mean everyone will have problems. To cancel and choose problem with seller address is fraud.

Message 60 of 67
latest reply