cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Posting a Manufacturer Picture

Hello, I have some items I am selling that are packaged and I don't want to fully remove them from the package.  Is it okay to post a picture of the item out of the package from the manufacturer along with my item picture?  I would of course mention in the posting that the picture of the item outside of the package is from such and such store.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Never - ever - post a picture of an item that isn't the actual item that your buyer will receive.  People don't read disclaimers and you're just begging for an INAD return.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Is it okay to post a picture of the item out of the package from the manufacturer 

@fey4 

You may need permission to use a manufacturer's photo from the rights holder.  Snagging photos off the internet without it can lead to problems for you.   eBay allows you to use other people's pictures that are posted on eBay by other sellers, however, if they were originally stolen it still may be a problem. 

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

Is it okay to post a picture of the item out of the package from the manufacturer 

@fey4 

You may need permission to use a manufacturer's photo from the rights holder.  Snagging photos off the internet without it can lead to problems for you.   eBay allows you to use other people's pictures that are posted on eBay by other sellers, however, if they were originally stolen it still may be a problem. 

Lol which basically translates to steal from honest sellers who don’t steal. And don’t steal from other thief sellers. 🙂

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Lol which basically translates to steal from honest sellers who don’t steal. And don’t steal from other thief sellers.

@iamalwaysright 

Exactly.  LOL.   Being an 'eBay dinosaur' I found it very disconcerting when eBay decided stealing photos and text from other members was no longer a policy violation.  They apparently refused to honor VERO complaints of  vero member sellers whose photos were 'stolen'.  First thing I thought at that time was the whole "it was a vero takedown and nothing we can do"  spiel we got for years was really not particularly true.  

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

EBAY allows you to use other Sellers photos and description by clicking on "sell similar".    Be sure to also include actual photos of item in sealed box that you are selling.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

Lol which basically translates to steal from honest sellers who don’t steal. And don’t steal from other thief sellers.

@iamalwaysright 

Exactly.  LOL.   Being an 'eBay dinosaur' I found it very disconcerting when eBay decided stealing photos and text from other members was no longer a policy violation.  

Yea I remember when eBay would actually do something when you reported another seller for stealing your own content. I believe what happened is that the squeaky wheel got the grease here. Too many thieving sellers fought back and cried something like “I have no way to take a photo of this item. Or I’m too new of a seller to understand this stuff. And if you don’t let me steal content here, I’m going to take my business elsewhere.”

then eBay buckled under the complaints and said F* it, stealing is allowed but NOT from the big companies with their own photos. Only steal from smaller sellers who don’t really have a staff of lawyers.

Back then I TOTALLY LOVED IT when I caught someone stealing a photo of mine because the images were hosted elsewhere and the thief seller took the URL to my photo, and I’d just rename and upload a totally inappropriate photo with that same URL. Especially when they did it as their gallery pic. Good times 🙂

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Yes you can use stock photos, there are hundreds of millions of them on ebay. Just be sure and make sure your primary or second photo is your actual boxed product as some people are weird about box condition.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

If the item is 'sealed'- state so and then on other pictures you can 'open with paint' and state 'for 'example' purposes...you can find pictures on google for just about anything. There ARE a few thousand brands that do NOT want you to use their photos..so also depends on 'what it is'. 

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Yes that is allowed.  No problem with it.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@fey4 wrote:

Is it okay to post a picture of the item out of the package from the manufacturer along with my item picture? 

Has the manufacturer granted permission for their photo to be reproduced and used for commercial purposes?

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

If you use the manufacturer's photos and the manufacturer objects because you are not part of their distribution chain and do not have permission, you can be the target of a copyright infringement lawsuit. If you are you will faced with settling the suit for whatever the manufacturer's lawyers demand because you are not likely to defend a lawsuit that you are going to lose. Even the crappiest lawyer will advise you to settle.

Stock photos have a copyright owner. That owner may choose to protect their IP rights. They may choose to use an IP protection company which is effectively a lawsuit machine, suing hundreds of infringers at a time.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Wow thank you everyone for the replies!  I don't have permission from the manufacturer to use the pictures on their website and it sounds like that is a no no.  I feel weird using others pictures so maybe I will just place a better description and then maybe I can say I can send additional pictures if needed and then maybe just show the original store pictures if I get an inquiry.  

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

I would use the manufacturer's pictures, but I would include the actual boxed , sealed item in one early picture  shot in such a way as to make it obvious that you actually have it.

Like on your back porch, or kitchen table.

Take the used dishes off the table first though.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Ha!  Like the "take the used dishes off the table" comment lol.  The packaging is actually pretty obvious of what the item is, but since they are wigs it is hard to tell the length and style.  I will have to ponder on the manufacturer pic since I am afraid of legal action against me.  

Message 15 of 19
latest reply