cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer damaged item-seller protection

Hello! The buyer damaged my item to get around me not offering returns. Of course I had to accept the return. I tried to give a partial refund and reported the buyer. A few days later, he opened a case for not receiving all of the money-which eBay quickly refunded him entirely. I appealed and they sent over an affidavit to sign stating that the buyer damaged the item and I can’t sell it in the same condition. Since they sent over the form, I relisted the item with the defects and it sold for $75 less. Do I still sign the form? I’m not sure what eBay will do (if anything). I did resell the item but for less than before. 

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

That is why I offer returns no questions asked on here. Buyers will do whatever it takes to FORCE you to refund them AND they WILL get their refund, no matter what they do including damaging merchandise.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 24 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

I would roll with the program as eBay can suspend a sellers privledge to deduct up to 50% from refunds. 

Sign it as requested.

Posting ID
Message 2 of 44
latest reply

Seller protections | Seller Center (ebay.com)

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 44
latest reply

I think that would depend on how much you deducted from the refund.

Did you end up with all your money after reselling + the amount you deducted from the refund or are you still in the whole and how much

Message 4 of 44
latest reply

Contact eBay | eBay

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 44
latest reply

the original sale was $400 and I re-sold it for 325 so technically I I was out $75. I was trying to deduct $79  

Message 6 of 44
latest reply

They could suspend my account if I don’t keep filling it out is that what you mean? 

Message 7 of 44
latest reply

@simplysofishticated wrote:

They could suspend my account if I don’t keep filling it out is that what you mean? 

I mean if a seller does not comply with the documentation eBay is requesting, it could compromise future refund reduction privileges. 

eBay expects sellers to use the refund deduction wisely and if they ask for an affidavit signature, no big deal, roll with it.

It does not have any effect on your selling account. 

Posting ID
Message 8 of 44
latest reply

@simplysofishticated wrote:

Hello! The buyer damaged my item to get around me not offering returns. Of course I had to accept the return. I tried to give a partial refund and reported the buyer. A few days later, he opened a case for not receiving all of the money-which eBay quickly refunded him entirely. I appealed and they sent over an affidavit to sign stating that the buyer damaged the item and I can’t sell it in the same condition. Since they sent over the form, I relisted the item with the defects and it sold for $75 less. Do I still sign the form? I’m not sure what eBay will do (if anything). I did resell the item but for less than before. 

@simplysofishticated 

-Here is where your problems begin:  You don't accept returns

-This is retail sales and eBay will always have a way around No returns accepted for Buyers.

-No returns accepted has its place in my view for items sold under two of eBay's Gradings:

-Junk value - parts only

-Restoration required

-Sellers are at risk when they use that setting

-Here is a link to your Seller protections: Seller protections | eBay

-I use Free 30 Day returns on everything I sell and some of it isn't cheap.  Return rate is very low.  I take FULL advantage of the Seller protection when and if I need them, it helps cut my loss.

-Don't sign the eBay form, you sold the item.  Hopefully the next Buyer won't file a false claim and return it to you or return something other than what you shipped them

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 9 of 44
latest reply

I tried to give a partial refund and reported the buyer. A few days later, he opened a case for not receiving all of the money-which eBay quickly refunded him entirely. I appealed and they sent over an affidavit to sign stating that the buyer damaged the item and I can’t sell it in the same condition. 

@simplysofishticated 

I'm surprised that you were able to make a deduction. I see that you are TRS, but offer 'No Returns', and I thought that seller protection wasn't allowed unless a TRS offers (at least) 30-Day Returns... much less to win an appeal. But I've also never read of one signing an affidavit, either.

Sorry... that's all I got. Good luck to you, though.

Message 10 of 44
latest reply

Yo was able to deduct 20%, not the max 50%. You still have protections as a seller. I know it specifies that you have to offer free returns to get it, but maybe if you offer returns you just have it the protection automatically? It’s more of an automated process? I was able to appeal and I won last night. They reversed the partial refund and the case was closed. I’m glad that I was able to get a little bit of money and basically broke even on what I sold it for originally. 

I know a lot of sellers that don’t offer returns. I just don’t want to deal with it. It’s  probably a low amount of people that take advantage of returning items but it just sounds like a hassle. I cross list on other sites as well and they don’t allow returns. I make sure I’m selling quality items and take a lot of photos and give thorough details including measurements. 

Message 11 of 44
latest reply

I can't figure out how you qualified to give less than a full refund to begin with.   Is this affidavit thing new?

Message 12 of 44
latest reply

But they had to sell it for LESS because it was damaged. That's still a loss caused by the buyer.

It doesn't say they couldn't sell it at ALL, but not in 'the same condition', therefore for less.

Maybe ebay needs to revisit the wording on that affadavit.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 13 of 44
latest reply

Maybe that's what happened with that blue devil seller? (they lied).

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 14 of 44
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

I can't figure out how you qualified to give less than a full refund to begin with.   Is this affidavit thing new?

@fern*wood @simplysofishticated 

I 2nd this; I thought if a seller did NOT offer returns, the 'up to 50% thing was out the door and if a buyer opens a NAD- then sellers had 2 choices

100% refund

Ignore it, ebay will do it and seller gets a major ding??

What is this new 'affidavit' thing??

Message 15 of 44
latest reply