cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POOOOOOR SALE On Ebay Heres What To Do?

If you're contemplating leaving eBay, there are a few reasons why sellers choose to explore other options:

1. Very High Fees, And Hidden Fees: eBay charges various fees, including listing fees, final value fees, and additional fees for optional features. Some sellers find these fees to be relatively high, cutting deep into their profits. Where ebay goal is to get 60 to 85 percent of profits leaving you breaking even or in the red.

2. Competition and Pricing Pressure: Due to the large number of sellers on eBay, there can be intense competition, which may lead you to lower your prices for your items, than when you factor in ebay fees it is better to list other places.

3. Policy Changes: eBay occasionally updates its policies, and sellers may find it challenging to adapt to these changes. Some sellers may prefer platforms with more stable and predictable policies. This is a big problem with ebay. That old saying "IF IT'S NOT BROKE DON'T FIX IT". Ebay has broken it's business model, and double down, and keep breaking it. Ebay comes out with a new policy scam ever so many months that don't make any sense.

4. Seller Restrictions: eBay has certain restrictions and guidelines for sellers, and some may feel constrained by these rules. There are certain rules for certain sellers. Ebay don't treat every seller fairly, nor honestly. Ebay will offen go after small sellers for doing the right thing, than go after big sellers who has been doing wrong for years. This is common with ebay.

5. Customer Service Issues: Sellers may encounter challenges with eBay's customer service, particularly if they face disputes or other issues. Just horrible customer service these days. Agents offen times don't understand or don't know a simple question. Agents will retaliate against your account (Something ebay has done, when someone criticize ebay). Multiple agents will tell you something different for one simple question, instead of directing you to the right course of action. Etc., Etc..

6. Search Algorithm Changes: eBay's search algorithm updates may impact the visibility of certain listings, affecting a seller's ability to reach potential buyers. The biggest scam ebay has come up with to milk every penny ebay can get from sellers. By not showing sellers items, forcing sellers to pay high fees, "JUST FOR A FEW PLACEMENTS ON A PAGE", for several hour a day, for a few days, "STOP" a day or two, or slow down placement. To this is ebay way to get sellers dissing out more money. Ebay has came up with several scams to do this.

7.  Here's what to do, those who put in alot of effort, pain, and time for many years in building a ebay business, still holding on because you believe or HOPE, it  will get better, "Stay with ebay"! However build your own website, and use that same effort as you do with ebay, to promote your website on social media, google, youtube etc.  Direct that traffic to "YOU" not ebay. Sell on mutiple other platforms, using ebay as a means to jump start a new business venture, to slowly get away from ebay.
  8. Most important, don't let ebay actions get you down, or upset. Ebay don't care how sellers feel, or how much sellers complain. Ebay only care about getting your dollar, nothing more. Ebay knows by keeping sellers in stress, not knowing, guessing, and having selling chasing their own tail in circles, ebay know sellers going to pay those very high fees. 
  9. Bonus tip: I spent $50 for a classified ad in a well known small newspaper, who did print, and online print of my ad. Direct the ad to my website. In one month my website got 17,000 visits, I made over 1,300 dropship sells. With only "ONE $50 CLASSIFIED AD".  
  10. Stay positive, and always have fun in your business ventures no matter how many obstacles are placed in front of you. Go around them, go over them, go through them, you are unstoppable.
Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: POOOOOOR SALE On Ebay Heres What To Do?

Not planning to get into a back-and-forth with you because that would not be useful.

"Now I gave you something that ebay would never give you -- A BRAIN!"

Almost all of us are born with a brain already installed.  And, if I did not have one, trust me, eBay is not the place I would look for one! 

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

There is stuff not worth selling online in general, and on Ebay in particular.

I would say that items which sell for $6 plus shipping are in that category. Dollar profit matters as much as or more than percent profit when you have a shallow inventory.

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

Lol. Another poster with "eBay is the ENEMY!" Attitude. 

Look, some people are not suited to reselling, Some people just don't have a handle on how it works and what YOU need to do as the seller to be successful. So if one is not willing to learn and change, then why even do it?  

Just because YOU like an item or category does not mean buyers do, or that it's a good item suited for reselling. Just because you can source an item for $1 does not mean it's a good item to resell. That does not make eBay or buyers the enemy, it means you the seller, need to do more homework. Just because someone else listed one and sold it, does not mean it will sell again or even soon. 

Views mean absolutely nothing. Sales is what counts. An item with 10K views and no sales is a failure. Yes we all want traffic, but if its not combined with sales, views are worthless. 

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

"Lol. Another poster with "eBay is the ENEMY!" Attitude."

Indeed.  OP is a "Top Rated" seller with 934 active listings.  

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

Message 20 of 24
latest reply

Agreed. We have doubled the number of listings compared to a couple of years ago, spend a lot on ads and discounts, free returns etc... just to see our traffic down 60%.

Ebay doesn't care about sellers, as you say, just for an example we received negative feedbacks from a buyer saying "seller refused to refund me", however the buyer never returned the items, nor could provide any proof whatsoever they did, even eBay confirmed there is absolutely zero signs of it, yet it is an "opinion of the buyer" therefore the feedback stays...

You wanna be a top rated seller? Well eBay will force you to accept free returns, which makes you losing a great amount of money on paying their return label just to receive a junk item back.. and I could go on forever.

I agree 100% that nobody should rely on 1 platform only, that will be a fatal mistake.

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

As for the OP's #1.......it all ties together with the rest of the message.
The message from top to bottom is to use eBay i order to not need to use eBay.

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

Starting your own website and directing traffic there is much harder then you think. Been there done that about 10 years ago. Sold some things but the cost invested was not worth it.

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

ROFLMAO

Everyone's circumstance is different. I do sell a lot of stuff with marginal profit here, but that's 1 brand building and 2 getting rid of things hard to move elsewhere. 

Sourcing, well I have a brick & mortar and most of what I sell walks in the door for me.

You know the absolute best and most valuable advertising I've ever done has been running adds in the local free paper, the Pennysaver. Inexpensive and they really reach people. I post a classified add and for a couple extra bucks they tint it with a bright color and make it stand out. No one else seems to do that so my adds pop.

But hey, ebay and my other only venues are only about 8% of the net, YMMV

Message 24 of 24
latest reply