cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News flash from ebay: Mississippi's hostile takeover of MicroSoft OS

I seem to keep coming back to questioning whether there is human intelligence running ebay.  Here is yet one more proof of a deficit.  I just noticed in one of my listings of a digital format camcorder that, apparently, Mississippi has taken over ownership of the Windows operating system.  In the ebay-provided description details of my camcorder, here is the helpful information shared: 

Operating System Supported: Mississippi Windows ME, Apple Mac Os X 10.1.5 or Later, Mississippi Windows 2000, Mississippi Windows 98SE, Mississippi Windows XP

It doesn't take a genius to understand, vaguely anyway, how Mississippi commandeered this hostile takeover of MicroSoft.  It adopted the US Postal Service code that identified Mississippi with the same alias shared by MicroSoft, i.e. "MS".  I don't think there's a simple way for an ebay user to correct this comedic error and introduce some intelligence if trying to make use of the ebay-provided description details. Now the question remains: which is more scary, that ebay lets its bots make such laughable errors (and many more of much more hurtful consequence), or that they are paying a human employee lacking discernment to identify the world's most prolific computer operating system as Mississippi? I wonder what alternatives they might come up with for OS (besides Operating System) - Owners Schizoid? 

This message is provided solely for benefit to anyone who might try to use ebay for sale of an accurately descriped item or for purchase of something accurately described. 

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: News flash from ebay: Mississippi's hostile takeover of MicroSoft OS

LOL.  Can't make this stuff up!

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 2 of 27
latest reply

So if Microsoft is now Mississippi, does that mean I now  live in Microsoft?

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 3 of 27
latest reply

@Anonymous, you might want to make the "appropriate team" aware of this.   I'd tag @syedmhaq, but he hasn't responded to some of the other catalog-related concerns recently.  Thanks.

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

@livadia wrote:

@Anonymous, you might want to make the "appropriate team" aware of this.   I'd tag @syedmhaq, but he hasn't responded to some of the other catalog-related concerns recently.  Thanks.

The "appropriate team" is likely the same team that did this to start with. Oops, and now they can't shut it off.

It would be more hilarious is it was an isolated instance, but seeing different versions of the same basic sight gag multiple times daily gets old.

I'm convinced eBay is incapable of doing anything  without botching it in ways nobody thought even physically possible.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 5 of 27
latest reply

Thanks for tagging me @livadia

@jonlaw16 can you please share the item ID of your listing?

The good news is that we’ve just launched new functionality that allows sellers to easily fix such errors themselves. It’s not rolled out in the cameras category yet so for now the best way to report such issues in the cameras category is to send email to sdsupport@ebay.com

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

@livadia wrote:

.... you might want to make the "appropriate team" aware of this.   

It takes a team to tackle an

error ?  Sounds time consuming & expensive.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

@livadia wrote:

.... you might want to make the "appropriate team" aware of this.   

It takes a team to tackle an

error ?  Sounds time consuming & expensive.

Just like you need a team of lawyers to argue this.

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

@syedmhaq wrote:

The good news is that we’ve just launched new functionality that allows sellers to easily fix such errors themselves. It’s not rolled out in the cameras category yet so for now the best way to report such issues in the cameras category is to send email to sdsupport@ebay.com

So once again Sellers get to correct Ebays errors for Free.  I guess Sellers are the slave labor for the catalog one way or another.  I'm sorry, but sellers should not have to continually fix things for Ebay when it was not their error to begin with.  I guess it is cheaper to create a program that allows the Sellers to fix hopefully only their listings (I hope the changes they make cannot effect their competitors listings also) than to fix the problems or hire the experts that have the knowledge to begin with.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

Automatic spelling correction really socks!
Test your eBay search rank: https://ranktool.bid
Message 11 of 27
latest reply

@twnpopcards wrote:

@syedmhaq wrote:

The good news is that we’ve just launched new functionality that allows sellers to easily fix such errors themselves.  

So once again Sellers get to correct Ebays errors for Free.  

Yes I know, just more of the cost of doing business.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

What if after sellers correct this ridiculous error, the bots will put it back in??? Is it going to be an endless game of whack-a-mole now? And what if one seller puts the correct info, then another person comes and puts a wrong one?? Is it going to go like this forever????

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

@mrv71 wrote:

What if after sellers correct this ridiculous error, the bots will put it back in??? Is it going to be an endless game of whack-a-mole now? And what if one seller puts the correct info, then another person comes and puts a wrong one?? Is it going to go like this forever????

Probably will until Ebay finally figures out a way to fix it themselves, meaning spending the money necessary to fix what they put together on a shoestring budget.  What's worse is that in the 4th Quarter I believe this is supposed to roll our full bore whether its fixed or not meaning another rough Holiday Season because Ebay cannot leave things alone and always insists on making big changes in the 4th Qtr even though they once upon a time promised to never do that again.  Obviously somebody does not understand that if the Sellers do better so does Ebay.  

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

@syedmhaq wrote:

@syedmhaq

https://www.ebay.com/p/Kodak-EasyShare-M381-12-4MP-Digital-Camera-Blue-gray/100058944

Don't you have a way to run a scan to see what items are affected by this?

Good night and good luck
Message 15 of 27
latest reply