cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New packing slip design

I went to print a packing slip today only to find the new packing slip layout.  Now it takes an entire page of paper with lots of wasted white space.  They have including the shipping charge and the sales tax collected  where before these were missing.  I do not mind listing those charges, but it takes extra clicks now to print it and consumes more paper.  

They can never leave things alone.  Who designs these things?

Do you all always include a packing slip?  If so, why or why not?

Message 1 of 128
latest reply
127 REPLIES 127

Re: New packing slip design

To those saying "I never needed or used one". Fine, that's your choice.

Those of us who DO use them aren't telling YOU to use them are we?

What we're upset about is that ebay took what was a perfectly simple, easy to use packing slip away that met a whole LOT of seller's needs, and replaced it with a cumbersome, needlessly wasteful and not exactly what we needed rubbish one and we'd like the old one back on the label page.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 106 of 128
latest reply

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

@nuclearomen wrote:

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

There are times invoice is needed and justified, like very expensive items, also shipping outside US they should have one but in 28 years of shipping never once has those happens you mentioned happened. It's all up to the seller and how much worry and stress you possess shipping stuff, they make tons on people like that whom purchase insurance on everything they send as if something will happen that somehow justifies their worry. If something happens I deal with it, usually never does, but things happen sure. Not going to spend tons of money on paper and ink to include an invoice on items I can usually just replace - which has happened of course - but never in terms of needing invoice inside a package for reasons you state. 

How much risk I am willing to take….. not much when it’s not necessary to do so. I buy the rolls of produce type bags (in several sizes)  they are cheap. I go above and beyond to pack securely. I pack an item the way I would like to receive it. 

I’ve been on ebay since the mid 90’s.  (Several accounts) Had several boxes get soaking wet but the bag protected the item. Both customers were thrilled the items were safe.

Had several boxes get smashed, thankfully the item survived.   I’ve had a tyvek bag get mangled and the items fell out, it was still able to be routed to my customer. 

Plus many people that run businesses buy my items and packing slips are part of their records. Having run a receiving department in a mid sized company, trust me, it was a pain when things arrived with no packing slip and it took time to figure out what was it and who ordered it.  Paper isn’t that expensive and neither is ink when you figure out how far a cartridge goes. I add a few cents to my  listings. 

I don’t purchase insurance, I self insure. It’s a profit center for me. 

Many  years ago I ordered some cotton sheets from ebay. When it arrived I opened the box and found a little black cocktail dress…. Cute but not what I ordered. On examining the box it was obvious the label had been ripped off and the item repackaged and a different label retapped on the box. UPS has a department that tries to match unboxed items up and get them on their way again and this one was a fail on their part. But it kept them from paying a claim for a lost item.

If my sheets had been secured in a bag with the packing slip, I would have gotten what I ordered. 

Everyone  has their tolerance level for risks I suppose.  I look at it as customer service. My feedback reflects it. 

The point was making is that every single seller does what they feel is best for type of items they sell. I've been in the music industry almost 30 yrs and I've dealt with every label and distributor that existed and still does today in the genres I deal in and not one of them does Invoice shipping domestically. Never once has anyone of them emailed me asking for one. All these people have invoice already, as I have theirs, as every buyer on ebay has record of their transaction provided to them by ebay...or any other site not to mention a receipt that is emailed to them also. But like I said, depends on the seller and the items. I deal in quantity, everyone in this business treats it the same, either buyer pays for shipping method that includes insurance or they simply replace or refund after proof of damage / non delivery. 

Expensive / non-expensive... let's put it in clear terms... in todays world everything is digital, including invoices, and almost every company does them this way now - it's also fact for larger companies and corps to do it as part of their effort to limit their waste and echo footprint. Business now have B2B websites, wholesale transactions are done online and invoices/receipts are provided digitally. In the future, the near future, you won't even get a receipt when you go to the store - and that is fact - it's already being done as we speak where many companies Target, Walmart, Home Depot... you name 'em.... they all currently ask if you want a email or print receipt - in the coming future there will not be a choice, they will be digital only. Most people who include invoices these days are just sellers on platforms like ebay.

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 107 of 128
latest reply

Most people who include invoices these days are just sellers on platforms like ebay.

I get an invoice with every single thing  I order online, anywhere.

I'm not sure why people who don't use invoices seem so defensive and rather belittling about it - no one is asking them to do anything they don't want to.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 108 of 128
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

Most people who include invoices these days are just sellers on platforms like ebay.

I'm not sure why people who don't use invoices seem so defensive and rather belittling about it - no one is asking them to do anything they don't want to.

@chapeau-noir i'm not defensive, replied to someone who remarked on a post I made. Don't much care if one uses them or not, I'm certainly not going to as there is no need for them. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 109 of 128
latest reply

I've been so annoyed with this all week. Finally got around to posting here. Glad to see I'm not the only one. Thanks again eBay for making changes for the worse. 

Message 110 of 128
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

This is not directed at either of the folks quoted above, but just a general request: can we please keep the terminology straight here? We are not talking about invoices; we are talking about packing slips.

An invoice is a demand for payment. You would not be putting an invoice into a package unless you're shipping it Cash On Delivery (COD), which is not an eBay process. The discussion here has nothing to do with invoices. (In fact, the eBay packing slips include a line reading, "This is not an invoice.")

A packing slip denotes the contents of the package, its origin and destination; that's all. It may also call out items that were ordered but are not included in the package, if necessary.

Message 111 of 128
latest reply

(Sigh) I really wish that Ebay would stop hiring graduates from the Rube Goldberg School of Engineering Excellence and Web Design. (Someone has to appreciate this joke)

This is the same as how you now have to click 'see more options' to change font, font size and color etc, when for many years it was there without any additional clicks necessary. It's a change that no one asked for, that improves nothing and is arguably worse.

That said, I noticed that with this new system, every packing slip includes the customer's telephone number. I don't recall that being the case, or did I just never notice that before? The latter is quite possible, so my question isn't facetious.

Message 112 of 128
latest reply

I completely agree.  This is a backwards move on Ebay's part.

Message 113 of 128
latest reply

I agree, I used to be able to use one piece of paper for the packing slip and the shipping label now I am having to use two...at least make the new packing slip only take half the page...also it adds weight, sometimes just a smidgen of an ounce can make a difference in shipping price so the lighter the better. 

Message 114 of 128
latest reply

"That said, I noticed that with this new system, every packing slip includes the customer's telephone number. I don't recall that being the case, or did I just never notice that before? The latter is quite possible, so my question isn't facetious."

I was curious so I pulled out an invoice from 4/20 to see if there was a phone number.  No it was not there at that time.  Today I went into my sold file and looked at an invoice.  Lo and behold the phone number is now there.  If I was a buyer, I am not sure i would like that.

Message 115 of 128
latest reply

I noticed this change a few days ago. It said you can print out a shipping label and then print out the invoice. How backwards is that. I have 4 items to ship to 1 customer, memorize the items, start boxing them up, go back to my computer to print a shipping label, then print a packing slip, go to my packing table to finish boxing items with a packing slip and then go back to my desk to grab the shipping label to put on the box. Every extra step adds time when I am shipping 10-20 packages every day. They have changed it where you can now mark it a gift so now the price and sales tax is no longer on shipping label. But its still 1 extra step. I also used to pre package items up so its ready to ship when they pay. Now I can't print out a shipping label with the customers name on it if they haven't paid for the item yet. Who's in charge of making these time consuming changes that cost me time which translates to money for me and Ebay?

Message 116 of 128
latest reply

LOL, I liked the old one! No big deal though, an extra click or 2. I sell coins so each one, in a 2x2 holder, goes in a small plastic bag and gets stapled to the packing slip. People seem to like that. 

Message 117 of 128
latest reply

@venutian01 wrote:

That said, I noticed that with this new system, every packing slip includes the customer's telephone number. I don't recall that being the case, or did I just never notice that before? The latter is quite possible, so my question isn't facetious.

I noticed that too & no, it didn't used to be on there.  At least not on the version I used, which was the tiny, 3 to a page PS.  It had just the bare bones, which is all that SHOULD be on a packing slip.  

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 118 of 128
latest reply

@gatafish wrote:

I noticed this change a few days ago. It said you can print out a shipping label and then print out the invoice. How backwards is that. I have 4 items to ship to 1 customer, memorize the items, start boxing them up, go back to my computer to print a shipping label, then print a packing slip, go to my packing table to finish boxing items with a packing slip and then go back to my desk to grab the shipping label to put on the box. Every extra step adds time when I am shipping 10-20 packages every day. They have changed it where you can now mark it a gift so now the price and sales tax is no longer on shipping label. But its still 1 extra step. I also used to pre package items up so its ready to ship when they pay. Now I can't print out a shipping label with the customers name on it if they haven't paid for the item yet. Who's in charge of making these time consuming changes that cost me time which translates to money for me and Ebay?

Yes, the flow is ludicrous.  The fact that Ebay redesigned it w/o knowing how it's used is even more ludicrous.   You simply can't print a packing slip AFTER you print the label, it's completely backwards & you won't know how much the pkg weighs.   Now, there is a way to print it beforehand, in the dropdown, but it still totally interrupts the flow & it's still this gigantic slip with tons of white space & extraneous info.  

At least all of the customizations are now holding except the "this is a gift" which seems to be the ONLY way to not put the price on it.  Hey Ebay, Packing Slips DON'T have prices on them!   THis whole this is a real mess!  

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 119 of 128
latest reply

Good to know I'm not completely senile, and it's not just me.

In an effort to protect a buyer's privacy, Ebay has made continued changes over the years to make it increasingly difficult for a seller to obtain that information, and they have completely upended that overnight. As a buyer, I don't appreciate this change. There's no need to be supplying that information as standard practice on every packing slip now.

Granted, there are unique situations when, as a seller, it would be helpful if one could quickly reach out to a buyer via phone, but that is an exception to an outlier of a rarity. I ship 1500-2000 packages a year, and I cannot remember what the last year was when I had a fraction of a thought along the lines of "too bad I can't just call them up for 60 seconds".

Message 120 of 128
latest reply