cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New packing slip design

I went to print a packing slip today only to find the new packing slip layout.  Now it takes an entire page of paper with lots of wasted white space.  They have including the shipping charge and the sales tax collected  where before these were missing.  I do not mind listing those charges, but it takes extra clicks now to print it and consumes more paper.  

They can never leave things alone.  Who designs these things?

Do you all always include a packing slip?  If so, why or why not?

Message 1 of 128
latest reply
127 REPLIES 127

Re: New packing slip design

@mybigsale  It may not be ideal, but it is readable and about the best you can do for now.  PirateShip still prints the big font simple packing slip when imported from ebay and is formatted specifically for a 4x6 label.

Message 91 of 128
latest reply

Packing Slips are a safeguard against a damaged external label.

Business buyers general require one. 

Personal buyers seem to appreciate it.

It provides a place to put some advertisements and/or a link to your website.

It helps make sure you pick and ship to the correct buyer.

Message 92 of 128
latest reply

So you have to customize them one at a time. What a waste of time and energy. SMH

Message 93 of 128
latest reply

The current eBay packing slip printed on a 4X6 is only readable to me with a strong magnifying glass. Something useless to me or my buyers (and unprofessional looking).  Upsetting because eBay eliminated the useable packing slip without concern on how it would affect sellers.  It would be very easy for eBay to understand sellers wants and needs if they wanted instead of just making seemingly random changes without seller input.

I sometimes use PirateShip, but I haven't tried their packing slip.  Thanks for the tip. I will give their packing slip a try.

Message 94 of 128
latest reply

If you use Pirate Ship for a packing slip, do you then have to manually transfer the tracking number to the eBay site or are they somehow connected?

I use Pirate Ship to generate labels for things sold on other websites but have not tried it for those sold on eBay.

Message 95 of 128
latest reply

Here is a screenshot of a sample imported from ebay PirateShip Packing Slip, which is a 4"x6" formatted label.

PirateShip-PS.png

Currently the only problem is PS requires a postal label to be printed at the same time.  Please contact PS and help push them to allow Packing Slips to be printed separately and even before buying postage.

Message 96 of 128
latest reply

@patternsaver  PirateShip imports directly from ebay and automatically updates the ebay order details with the tracking number.

Message 97 of 128
latest reply

@patternsaver 

do you then have to manually transfer the tracking number to the eBay site or are they somehow connected?

PirateShip is great and gets your order information from eBay (if you choose).  When you complete your label purchase PirateShip automatically updates your eBay Account with the tracking number.

I use eBay shipping for most Priority and 1st Class orders.

PirateShip has cubic pricing rates for Parcel Select and Priority Mail. eBay does not. For compact heavier packages I use PirateShip for Parcel Select/Priority CUBIC RATES for great savings.

For USPS services that do not include insurance, I use PirateShip for their insurance for higher valued items ($50+).

I previously thought I didn't need PirateShip or a Thermal Printer, now I realize I can't go back to not having them...

Message 98 of 128
latest reply

From within PirateShip go to the Integration settings to add eBay and other seller accounts. Once setup, you can update your seller account(s) order information on PirateShip and have automatic tracking number updates to your seller account(s).

Message 99 of 128
latest reply

Thanks for all the info on Pirate Ship.  I had no idea it had such capacities.  Seems strange eBay would allow integration since I am sure they make some money when you buy shipping directly from them.

Message 100 of 128
latest reply

You're welcome. The Cubic Rates are nice for heavier items and as mentioned, Cubic Rates are not available on eBay. Yes, the integration is nice to have.

Have a great day!

Message 101 of 128
latest reply

@gloryglorygifts wrote:

So you have to customize them one at a time. What a waste of time and energy. SMH

The customization is selecting "gift receipt" - that's it - the message (if you select one) is sticky.

I like the fact that it has a QR code on it and URL.  I also write things on it and it adds some stiffening to my packages.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 102 of 128
latest reply

I send packing slips and I also put the item in a plastic bag with the packing slip with the buyers address showing . If your label gets ripped off the package (it happens) or your package gets torn open and the contents separated from the box (Also happens)  it can still be routed to the customer. 

Bagging the item also helps if a package gets left out in the rain, (also happens). 

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 103 of 128
latest reply

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

I send packing slips and I also put the item in a plastic bag with the packing slip with the buyers address showing . If your label gets ripped off the package (it happens) or your package gets torn open and the contents separated from the box (Also happens)  it can still be routed to the customer. 

Bagging the item also helps if a package gets left out in the rain, (also happens). 

There are times invoice is needed and justified, like very expensive items, also shipping outside US they should have one but in 28 years of shipping never once has those happens you mentioned happened. It's all up to the seller and how much worry and stress you possess shipping stuff, they make tons on people like that whom purchase insurance on everything they send as if something will happen that somehow justifies their worry. If something happens I deal with it, usually never does, but things happen sure. Not going to spend tons of money on paper and ink to include an invoice on items I can usually just replace - which has happened of course - but never in terms of needing invoice inside a package for reasons you state. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 104 of 128
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

There are times invoice is needed and justified, like very expensive items, also shipping outside US they should have one but in 28 years of shipping never once has those happens you mentioned happened. It's all up to the seller and how much worry and stress you possess shipping stuff, they make tons on people like that whom purchase insurance on everything they send as if something will happen that somehow justifies their worry. If something happens I deal with it, usually never does, but things happen sure. Not going to spend tons of money on paper and ink to include an invoice on items I can usually just replace - which has happened of course - but never in terms of needing invoice inside a package for reasons you state. 

How much risk I am willing to take….. not much when it’s not necessary to do so. I buy the rolls of produce type bags (in several sizes)  they are cheap. I go above and beyond to pack securely. I pack an item the way I would like to receive it. 

I’ve been on ebay since the mid 90’s.  (Several accounts) Had several boxes get soaking wet but the bag protected the item. Both customers were thrilled the items were safe.

Had several boxes get smashed, thankfully the item survived.   I’ve had a tyvek bag get mangled and the items fell out, it was still able to be routed to my customer. 

Plus many people that run businesses buy my items and packing slips are part of their records. Having run a receiving department in a mid sized company, trust me, it was a pain when things arrived with no packing slip and it took time to figure out what was it and who ordered it.  Paper isn’t that expensive and neither is ink when you figure out how far a cartridge goes. I add a few cents to my  listings. 

I don’t purchase insurance, I self insure. It’s a profit center for me. 

Many  years ago I ordered some cotton sheets from ebay. When it arrived I opened the box and found a little black cocktail dress…. Cute but not what I ordered. On examining the box it was obvious the label had been ripped off and the item repackaged and a different label retapped on the box. UPS has a department that tries to match unboxed items up and get them on their way again and this one was a fail on their part. But it kept them from paying a claim for a lost item.

If my sheets had been secured in a bag with the packing slip, I would have gotten what I ordered. 

Everyone  has their tolerance level for risks I suppose.  I look at it as customer service. My feedback reflects it. 

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 105 of 128
latest reply