cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New listing page layout is HORRIBLE no description or full condition on first page? Is this a joke?

I just sold an item (first sale in a LONG TIME, despite listing every day - sales have almost completely dried up - but that's for another post) i went to the item page and it looks totally different.

For those wondering i'm using a PC and Chrome web browser

While i think the larger picture at the top of the page is great...when you scroll down the page you don't actually see the description! You need to click a small button to go over to the description - this is a HORRIBLE idea! Who thought this up? What's the point of writing a description? No one is ever going to read it if you have to click to another page to view it. I write detailed condition notes in my description - it seems like this is now pointless. People barely read as it is but now you're going to create obstacles from the buyer seeing it?

It shows the "Condition description" in small letters on the right but if you write more than a few words it will cut off and then you have to click read more - when you click read more it just jumps the page down to item specifics where you have to click read more AGAIN.

I honestly don't understand how they make these changes without asking sellers opinions

It also now shows rows and rows of "Similar Sponsored items" - 11 rows total to be exact! No wonder i have no sales, if someone clicks my item ebay shows them 55+ other "Related" items on the same page (more if you click the arrow and go over on each row)

This is just creating a race to the bottom in terms of prices - like this item? well here are 10 people selling the same or similar items for less. Soon the only way to compete will be to promote your items at the ridiculous suggested rates ebay likes to give like "Promoted ad rate of 13.7%" and then you'll have to under price every other person selling the same item too so you'll end up making pennies.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: New listing page layout is HORRIBLE no description or full condition on first page? Is this a j

@thevintageparadise 

eBay has been experimenting with different "views" of the listing page.  What is shown to YOU, may not be shown to me, and others may see a different one altogether. 

Since you use the BIN/Best Offer feature, be sure to check your buyer requirements as well.  eBay has been actively enrolling BUYER IDs (against their will of course) to fork over a payment option in order to make an offer (OR BID).  Many buyers refuse.  It also eliminates many of the payment options for a buyer, and most importantly removes the option to ask for a combined invoice to save on shipping if they have offers accepted (or win auctions) for more than one item. 

If you don't want offers,  nor wish to combine items for buyers you can leave the options set to the default as YES like eBay dropped on you without notice.  Sellers are free to limit their buyer pool any way they like. 

Not to say that is ALL of your problem, but something you may wish to consider. 

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Buyer Payment Requirements

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they place a bid.

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Re: New listing page layout is HORRIBLE no description or full condition on first page? Is this a j

Not on my computer...I see everything without clicking to another page... I just have to scroll down to read your description on the same page.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

I agree with you.

I hate the new change/look.

And I am a ebay "cheerleader".

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

I realize that some of you may not be seeing the "New listing view" - This is what it looks like:Layout 1.png

Layout 2.png

I Took 2 sequential screen shots - under this there is another row of ads for other peoples items then my little store blurb and then 9 more rows of other peoples sponsored items

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

My listings are the same as yours.

It's terrible!!

Very confusing when you scroll down to see the description, but it's nothing but other sellers listings being shown. I have 11 rows of different listings being advertised.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

I agree with this even as a buyer, if Description was the 1st tab & default view I think this would work for me...

eBay - new layout (Aug23), description needs to be on 1st tab.png

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

I agree...this new page format is going to lead to a wave of Return Requests and Negative Feedbacks !!

They don't read the description when its r=ight in front of them .....they will never read it now - Its going to be the sellers fault !!

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

100% - Honestly item specifics are a waste of time, especially for sellers that have to fill in each little blank which takes entirely too long unless you're listing with a barcode scanner or 100 of the same item. I don't understand how they thought removing the description from the first page was a good idea.

If i ever buy something i skip right to the description - i never look at item specifics unless the person writes absolutely no description

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

I started to comment that in your example it makes it very important to fill out the condition box when you list, since at least that was showing without searching for the description.   Then I decided to look at one of my listings.  I must have a different version.  When I look at my store, I don't even see the condition info shown.  I had to click on see more details to find much of anything. 

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

If the promoted listings on your ad pages are showing "10 people selling the same or similar items for less," what does that tell you?

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

I agree...I think a lot of buyers may not even know to click on the description tab for more details.  So I decided to put a message where it asks for item condition that says, "Click on description tab for details", hoping that will help.  

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Snip: I honestly don't understand how they make these changes without asking sellers opinions.

It's easy to make changes that make your web page more difficult to navigate or find information.  Ebay does a great job in that effort.

They need to remove some web staff.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

I'm hoping they realize that the current layout makes no sense and the description needs to remain on the main page. No one is going to click over to another tab and it's just going to cause a million "Item not as described" return claims and negative feedback. They also need to make that little condition field on the right next to the pictures bigger and have it show the entire condition description without having to click "Read more"

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

There are problems with both...........

IF the description is one line, as so many are today........but many IS

IF the IS is only the 2or 3 required, but long description

Which should be picked to be on the lst page.........? And, of course, there are permutations of each......

I contend they both should be on the page..........  When they split the page into the 2 pages.......description and shipping......many of us said few would go to shipping page and I still think that's true....  Tabs are not "obvious" and they've always needed to enhance them in some way.........and even more so, if they are going to add a 3rd tab..........

Also think "item condition" should be a requirement (on used items).......not misnamed as "Seller notes".........

Message 15 of 18
latest reply