cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 30 Day FREE Return Policy

I am an execellent seller and agreed to your original 30 day return policy.    Buyer PAYS..

So if I get this right.. I can no longer receive TRS discounts unless I agree to offer to pay shipping to and fro for the buyer .. even buyers remorse!

IF YOU ARE GOING TO INFORCE THIS... I AM GOING TO REFUSE ALL RETURNS!   There is ABSOLUTELY  no point in offering returns of any kind if you take away my TRS!

... Any one else out there of the same opinion?

If my business drops... there are so many other sites now.. I will just move!

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: New 30 Day FREE Return Policy

@olympic2 wrote:

I find that to be INCORRECT!!!  It is stated by eBay:      30-day free returns is a retail returns standard and a buyer expectation. Starting June 1, 2018, Top Rated Sellers will be required to offer 30-day free returns to be eligible to receive Top Rated Plus benefits!

Furthermore Discount is 10%... not 1%

You did indeed say the above... but whatever I'm done here. LOL

Message 16 of 50
latest reply

Well now... that's a thought!
Message 17 of 50
latest reply

@olympic2 wrote:

I find that to be INCORRECT!!!  It is stated by eBay:      30-day free returns is a retail returns standard and a buyer expectation. Starting June 1, 2018, Top Rated Sellers will be required to offer 30-day free returns to be eligible to receive Top Rated Plus benefits!

Furthermore Discount is 10%... not 1%

Unless you want the Top Rated Plus benefits, don't offer the free 30 day returns.

It is not required to be Top Rated, just Top Rated Plus.

Have a great day
Message 18 of 50
latest reply

Thank you ..  I thought you had a solution for a minute.... but when I look at my invoice it very clearly says the only FVF (Final Value Fee) discount given is "TOP RATED PLUS"   THEREFORE... unless I missunderstand this... i.e.  there is no more discounts for any TRS  unless you opt into the FREE RETURNS policy! Please correct me if I am wrong... and view your own account.. see what you get

Message 19 of 50
latest reply

Which means there is NO GOOD REASON to continue to offer refunds!

Message 20 of 50
latest reply

Your mixing up Top Rated Seller and Top Rated Seller Plus.  You don't have to offer free returns to get the shipping disconts and quartely $30 ad fees but inorder to get the Top Rated Plus FVF discount you need to offer free returns.

Message 21 of 50
latest reply

Thank you for your honesty and candor .. if you get say a $15 FVF credit per month.. at least it was an incentive to give returns... now there is NONE
Message 22 of 50
latest reply

If it doesn't work for your items or category don't use it. I had about a 0.1% return rate... so I tried some items with 60 day free returns. I have more returns now... of course, I figured I would. But if it is a category I don't want returns (I avoid high return categories anyway), or heavy -  requires priority shipping or whatever I use a different return policy.... if it is light weight and not expensive I use 60 day free returns.... haven't stressed about it..... do what makes sense. Unless you are selling 10K+ a month how much is the 10% discount anyway... very little -  about $10 discount on $1000 of sales?

For many people they would save more in costs just by not having 1 day handling or avoiding one return. Saw someone complaining vociferously in another thread awhile back, their sales were less than $400.... that is less than $40 in FVFs, and less than $4 in discount.... 

The problem I have is eBay says they will start taking return rates into account for visibility... why should my return rate be compared to a seller with no returns or 15 day or even 30 buyer pays shipping? So if you are inclined to not use 30 day free returns and you have a lower return rate than your competitors you may actually get enhanced visibility..... another way to make up the loss of the 10% discount.... and another thing to concider.

So as a great 20th century philosopher said,"Don't worry about a thing, 'cause every little thing gonna be alright"

There was never yet an uninteresting life. Such a thing is an impossibility. Inside of the dullest exterior there is a drama, a comedy and a tragedy.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Message 23 of 50
latest reply

@olympic2 wrote:

Apparently it is hard for you to understand my message.

NO WHERE did I say  10% of the transaction.. you said that! 

I stated: "I find this to be INCORRECT!  FVF are 10%  so for every $100 in fees you receive $10 in discount

NEITHER did I comment about TRS SELLER Status... only the TRS discount!

I don't think I made any comments about TRS+ issues, but if there is some error here.. please enlighted me

You are correct, it is a 10% discount of FVF.  However we were trying to show you that in the bigger picture it's 1% (or less depending on the category) of your totals selling price (including shipping).  To incur $100 in fees you must sell at least $1000 in items.  Depending on your sales that might or might not be a regular occurance.  The only disagreement on this was semantics, it's 10% of FVF or 1% of total sales.

However, the 10% of FVF discount applies to TRS+ listings only.  That PLUS has meaning, there are additional benefits beyond being a TRS **seller** that can be earned on specific listings. 

My account qualifies as TRS.  I get a discount on shipping (small) and a $30 per month credit towards any promoted listings I might choose to offer.   

I choose NOT to  offer 1 day handling, and I will NOT offer free shipping.  This means I will not receive the 10% FVF on any item that sells.  However I will still get any remaining TRS (not Plus) benefits.

We are trying to point out that there are hoops to jump through to get TRS status for your account.  There are ADDITIONAL hoops to have the TRS+ status applied to a listing (ie 1 day handling, free returns, etc).

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 24 of 50
latest reply

I don't believe there is any mixup here.  I never mentioned either shipping disconts and quartely $30 ad fees.  This is strickly about the FVF.. which was the only incentive to offer returns

Message 25 of 50
latest reply

@olympic2 wrote:

Thank you ..  I thought you had a solution for a minute.... but when I look at my invoice it very clearly says the only FVF (Final Value Fee) discount given is "TOP RATED PLUS"   THEREFORE... unless I missunderstand this... i.e.  there is no more discounts for any TRS  unless you opt into the FREE RETURNS policy! Please correct me if I am wrong... and view your own account.. see what you get

I hardly ever look at my invoice, but I've never noticed a discount on FVF for being Top Rated.

I don't know what the discount is for Top Rated Plus, but I don't think it would be worth offering free returns, unless you only get 1 or 2 a year.

Have a great day
Message 26 of 50
latest reply

@olympic2 wrote:

@olympic2 wrote:

I am an execellent seller and agreed to your original 30 day return policy.    Buyer PAYS..

So if I get this right.. I can no longer receive TRS discounts unless I agree to offer to pay shipping to and fro for the buyer .. even buyers remorse!

IF YOU ARE GOING TO INFORCE THIS... I AM GOING TO REFUSE ALL RETURNS!   There is ABSOLUTELY  no point in offering returns of any kind if you take away my TRS!

Here's more!!!   QUOTE FROM eBay

if a buyer uses or damages an item and returns it, you can decide to issue a partial refund 

i.e. BUYER RUINED MY STUFF... AND I SHOULD BE HAPPY  I  have the option to GIVE A PARTIAL REFUND!!!... ARE YOU KIDDING ME!

Yes, it's really quite ridiculous, isn't it?

The TRS discount amounts to 1% of your sale price, so it's not like you're losing a whole lot by not chasing it.   If you're an excellent seller now, you'll be an excellent seller then, right? 

The "partial refund" thing is just going to open up buyers to abuse by sellers, and it pretty much guts the MBG thing eBay has spent way too much time promoting to begin with.  Frankly I would not be surprised if some buyers simply avoided sellers offering 30 day "Free Returns" as a result. 

They took my pretty little useless yellow ribbon a couple of years ago, over the tracking upload requirements.  I don't think it has affected sales / prices realized one iota... buyers have likely figured out by now that the whole thing is a hoax, since there are lots of awful sellers on this site with pretty little useless yellow ribbons.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 27 of 50
latest reply

Good Comments
F.Y.I. did you see this too!
eBay additional rule changes: Restocking fees will no longer be a return option.
Message 28 of 50
latest reply

Yes and $15 to $20 a month made it worth offering returns... NOW there is no POINT
Message 29 of 50
latest reply

@olympic2 wrote:
Yes and $15 to $20 a month made it worth offering returns... NOW there is no POINT

Which if you read other threads is the opinion of most sellers.  My comments were just to point out that there is a difference between TRS and TRS+ becaues far too many people are confusing the two.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 30 of 50
latest reply