cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Misuse of Returns

A buyer bought an item from me and instantly demanded a shipping refund! The buyer paid for the item via Ebay Autopay. I had nothing to do with the invoice or collecting the payment . I refused to give them a shipping refund or discount because the item was paid for and being shipped.  The buyer filed an return case (Item Not As Described)  But admitted that there was nothing wrong with the product. In his resolution He demanded I refund what he claimed was a over charge for shipping. I instantly contacted eby I was told it was too early to to escalate the claim and The buyer was defiantly violating the return policy because he admitted that there was noting wrong with the product I was instructed to contact the buyer and try to work it out  and I to call back in 4 days I contacted the buyer and let them know that they were misusing the return policy and ask them to call ebay because I had nothing to do with the charges they received 

I called back in 4 days  and was told I could not escalate the case because I had to wait another 2 days and call back then I told the Customer service that I was to respond to the case before that date and they told me to call back.

Days later Ebay froze my account Approved the return and Sent the buyer a return label. I called Ebay and ask What was going on After Customer service reviewed the notes They told me just wait for the retune and then call back to appeal the case the item retuned. ebay took the refund from my account I called  customer service and they said that not to worry they were waiting for my call or email to appeal the case. They said I would hear from ebay in 24 to 48 hours. In that time I received a Negative feed back from the buyer stating that he sent the item back because I over charged them for shipping 

I received form letter from ebay asking for me to sign an affidavit I cant send it back because nothing on it applies to the return. So I tried to contact ebay got the runaround on their automated help it refused to connect me with ebay because the case was closed Final and could not be appealed. Finally after 

minutes I was able to get around the system. The agent told me that my case was still under appeal and they were waiting on an affidavit that did not apply

So heart I am Been lied to by customer service blocked from calling about this case and a negative feed back all because A buyer wanted renegotiate the deal after the sale. WHAT DID I DO WRONG? I did not violate the policy but I am mde to pay for it with a negative feedback and a lost sale

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Misuse of Returns

How large was the amount of shipping refund the buyer asked for?

Are you better off now than you would be if you had issued the refund?

Sometimes, standing up for your rights is more expensive than caving in.

This applies to many situations in life, not just to Ebay. Sometimes the best way to make a problem go away is to throw money at it.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Present the issue to arbitration ?

Message 2 of 38
latest reply

You supply the shipping carrier information. Ebay does not do that.

You needed to ship according to what was selected on your listing. If you used a cheaper shipping service then you do owe a refund.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 3 of 38
latest reply

How large was the amount of shipping refund the buyer asked for?

Are you better off now than you would be if you had issued the refund?

Sometimes, standing up for your rights is more expensive than caving in.

This applies to many situations in life, not just to Ebay. Sometimes the best way to make a problem go away is to throw money at it.

Message 4 of 38
latest reply

Am hung up on your first words.  Immediately after paying, he requested a refund of shipping?

And later when he opened an NAD case, what had he received already that was not as described?

Seems like it might have been a good idea to simply cancel, using "buyer requested" as the reason. 

And, BTW, you will find that you will get more accurate advice on these Boards than from CS reps.

They will tell you anything just to get you off the phone and move on to the next caller so they can tell him anything and get him off the phone.  

Message 5 of 38
latest reply

WHAT DID I DO WRONG?

==============

I refused to give them a shipping refund or discount because the item was paid for and being shipped.  -

--------------------------------------------------------

What you did wrong was not cancelling the sale, and refunding followed by adding the buyer to your BBL

Message 6 of 38
latest reply

IND is where seller has to accept return & provide prepaid return label. That's basically it.

No emails and calls to customer service will help.

Responding to a negative feedback where everyone can read it doesn't help.

One can assume a partial refund  might have helped. And you have 30 days to change the buyer's mind changing the negative feedback to positive through a revise by the buyer.

Even though the buyer is wrong...remember the phase..."the customer is always right"

Message 7 of 38
latest reply

Your first mistake was calling customer support. They are infamous for telling you what you want to hear to get you off the phone, including lying to you outright. Had you come to this forum when this first happened most of the responses you would have gotten probably would have resembled  buyselljack2016 comment. 

Message 8 of 38
latest reply

Sorry to say your first mistake was believing anything a phone csr told you.If the item was 'being shipped', you had time to cancel the transaction at buyers request.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 9 of 38
latest reply

That you are wrong! I do this at home as a side thing I work as a ebay lister for a company that has over 35,000  listings on ebay and sells over $250,000 in sales a month on ebay They always was use the lowest cost no matter what the charges  Unless it was agreed to next day or special delivery. They do freight as well and alwas charge the quote  not matter  the charge 

Message 10 of 38
latest reply

I have been doing this for over 20 years and always had good outcome with customer service  I did notice where they are making it tougher and tougher to contact Them directly

So Sand 

Message 11 of 38
latest reply

Did you not read? Ebay automatically took money from their account I didnot have anything to do with what they were charge for shipping  

Message 12 of 38
latest reply

Yes Because it exposed eaby for what it has become Selective enforcement of it rules I

Message 13 of 38
latest reply

Of course ebay takes their money, but the shipping cost is based on what was imput in the listing to begin with.  You state you aren't new at this, but I'm not understanding many of the things you are saying.    Ebay doesn't set the shipping methods, we do.    There is no need to be rude to volunteers here trying to help.  Obviously you have a mess now and ebay hasn't helped.

Message 14 of 38
latest reply

If you still had the item in your hand when they asked for a shipping refund you should have never sent it you should have immediately canceled the sale. It's pretty common to have people lie and say an item is not as described to force a return and you cannot stop it. You should spend some time on these boards learning about the lack of Rights we have as Sellers and how we mostly just have to do our best to not lose too much money on these types of scenarios and write them into our business model.

And like others have said never trust the customer service reps. Teach yourself how everything works by binge reading posts here.

Message 15 of 38
latest reply