cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's Time to Verify Sellers

It's time for eBay to have some verification process that sellers have what they publicly claimed to have for sale. This nonsense of having people coming on their site and listing things they don't have is killing the spirit of online shopping...even Amazon started following suit.

Online shopping must follow the law and the essence of the Uniform Commercial Code...

Yet, when buyers who already paid and has not gotten their item  call eBay or have eBay call them after the buyer securely logs in to have eBay call...are greeted with so much verify process, its sickening...

Message 1 of 134
latest reply
133 REPLIES 133

Re: It's Time to Verify Sellers

You read some pretty interesting things here on the boards.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 31 of 134
latest reply

I vet most of my buyers.  Feedback left for others is the first thing I look at.  If its a page of red... no thanks.   You can tell a lot about people by how they treat other sellers.  

Message 32 of 134
latest reply

I buy at least 100 items on ebay every year. 

I can't remember when the last time a seller cancelled a sale saying the item was out of stock.

I didn't realize it was such a big problem.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 33 of 134
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

Seriously............. you can't be serious😂

Pretty much a virtual impossibility.

Is eBay going to send someone to inventory the shelves in my garage to verify that I have each and every item I have listed?

LOL, right? Would they like to go through each and every one of my storage totes to account for all of my hundreds of smalls? Or perhaps they would rather play Tetris in my crane game prize figure closet?

Message 34 of 134
latest reply

@sextons-sweet-deals wrote:

For those who just want to argue on checking a buyer's profile because you have nothing else better to do, just cracks me up. 

So should my B&M job start interrogating customers when they walk in the door, then? Ridiculous.

Message 35 of 134
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

So should my B&M job start interrogating customers when they walk in the door, then? Ridiculous.

I have encountered stores in NYC who buzz customers in for over 50 years, and do not admit anyone who they do not feel is a customer they want.

There has always been a name applied to then "crackpots".

I was very proud when a particular crackpot determined I was worthy of admittance when I was 17.

Message 36 of 134
latest reply

Sellers are already verified when they provide a bank account & full identification.  What else are they supposed to do?

Message 37 of 134
latest reply

@9ahau 

How do you propose that Ebay verifies 19+ million seller's inventory?  Likely BILLIONS of line items.

Who is going to pay for this feature?  It would undoubtedly be a very expensive process.  Where is the money going to come from to pay for it?  

WHAT?  contacting customer service doesn't have some complicated verification process???

On each Ebay page there is a link to contact Customer Service at the top of the page and again at the bottom of the page.

I would suggest that you contact Ebay for Business on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter for the better trained CSRs.

Here are your options for contacting Ebay Customer Service. Please be aware that for social media CS, you send them a Private Message and briefly explain what your problem or issue is. Feel free to leave your Name, address, phone number and/or your email address in this message. It is private and secure and it may help to speed up the response for you.

https://twitter.com/askebay

https://www.facebook.com/eBay/

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

Your options will be on the left. If you use the link below you can only get to the Automated Assistant or Chat box type AGENT in the box and hit enter. You will then get more options. Not all options are available 24/7. It will depend on staffing available. So sometimes you can request a call back and sometimes you can't. Sometimes you have the Chat option available and other times it won't me. If it is important to you to use one of those options, just try back later.

If you use a cell phone or other mobile device, you may need to turn off your Spam filter so that Ebay can call you.

If you are a seller outside of the US or Canada, you will need to use the Chat Option.

https://www.ebay.com/help/eua?id=5275&mkevt=1&mkpid

https://www.ebay.com/help/home

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 38 of 134
latest reply

Thank you all for responding...here is what I have proposed to eBay:

1. When a seller list an item for sale, eBay sends a pop up, do you have physical possession of the item? if the seller clicked yes, that seller has 48hrs for the item to be in the hands of the shipper...not merely just posting a tracking info.

2. if the item is not in the hands of the shipper within 48hrs, the transaction is suspended, eBay contacts buyer to determine if the buyer wants to cancel or wait.

3. if the buyer choose to wait, eBay contact the seller about the delay....determine what's going on

4. if the buyer choose to cancel, the transaction is closed, buyer refunded immediately. The Uniform Commercial Code says a buyer can cancel anytime before the seller ships (the shipper must have possession) if the buyer communicates...here, if the buyer communicates via eBay 's message, the cancellation request is in writing...but eBay's policy claimed one can only cancel within 24hrs...not cool because eBay's interest is at stake.

Hope this makes sense.

Message 39 of 134
latest reply

'Hope this makes sense"

Far from it.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 40 of 134
latest reply

funny!

How many security cameras do you have installed?

This is the internet. Your business is in person transactions. Not the same!

Message 41 of 134
latest reply

@jklfindings wrote:

I vet most of my buyers.  Feedback left for others is the first thing I look at.  If its a page of red... no thanks.   You can tell a lot about people by how they treat other sellers.  

@jklfindings 

I can see you list some high-dollar items, so I understand your caution.  (I would check buyers as well with such high dollar items).

I'm curious.  How many buyers a year, or what percentage of buyers, do you consider too risky and deny the sale?

And, how are you avoiding a transaction defect for denying the sale?  That is, unless you are actually getting transaction defects.

Message 42 of 134
latest reply

Managed Payments seems to be one way Ebay confirms sellers - you don't get a US bank account anymore easily and without ID.   Not sure if there are online banks that permit accounts without in-person visits.  

Message 43 of 134
latest reply

I hear you! I paid $50 for an item the seller didn't have in stock and he sent me something totally different after admitting he didn't have my item in stock. I called ebay and the seller issued me a refund.

Message 44 of 134
latest reply

Great questions!  Buyers are vetted BEFORE the sale, not after.  We aren't going through sales and cancelling them.  Most of our listings are Best Offer, so people are compelled to try and negotiate/bargain with us.  That's the time we take a deeper look into who we're dealing with.  If someone outright just buys an item, we look, but we dont do cancellations.  As for how often?  I look at maybe 100 offers a week, and deny 2 or 3 of those based on vetting.  Now whos to say if those transactions would ever move forward anyhow, but since we've started doing this a few years ago, our headaches have drastically decreased lol!

Message 45 of 134
latest reply