cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect price deposited after sale

The item sold on ebay for $550, without "Make an Offer", but the deposited amount at payout was $68.00.  I contacted support and they said I offered an 88% discount, which i did not do, and there is no record of any such offer.  

Has anyone else had an issue like this?

Message 1 of 212
latest reply
211 REPLIES 211

Re: Incorrect price deposited after sale

I filtered mine as shown in that you-tube video earlier in the thread. First go to active listings, then "All Statuses", then on the drop-down arrow was the option "With options sending automatically".   Then I pulled up the listing and found an option to edit offers where I could turn off automatic offers.   I don't have any right now to get the exact wording/location and don't remember exactly, since this wasn't a common thing for me to do.  It wasn't too hard, though, or I wouldn't have found it on the listing.   There may be a bulk edit, but I didn't have enough of them to revise to look into that.

Message 196 of 212
latest reply

I have not experienced this but I have experienced duplicated listening that I swear I never did. And it got me my first bad review. When contacting ebay I told them it got duplicated somehow I contacted customer and I ended up breaking my phone over vacation in the Utah desert. I had to cancel the bid and I even offered a differnt suitcase. Ebay basically told me I have to eat the bad review I said what about seller forgiveness and you guys under stand life happens. I have sold like 178 products with all good feed back. I have one week from hell and I get punished. 

Message 197 of 212
latest reply

To add to what elizabeth@ebay  said about emails, remember that the user controls which emails/notifications they wish to receive from Ebay.  It's in your user profile under Account Settings>Communication Preferences & many users do turn off those emails/notifications.  

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 198 of 212
latest reply

@its*in*the*bag wrote:

Is there any way to turn off "send automatic offers" other than on the actual send offer page? I prefer to send my own offers and it seems like I must have left the box checked for some of my listings and those particular listings are getting sent offers automatically. I used to send my own offers (30-40 a day) and now I barely have any eligible to send and I am thinking that is because ebay is automating it. 

Any insight would be great 🙂

It's a woman's prerogative to change her mind and I did that several times and have the answer!

I found that the "send automatic offers" was the default at the time I first saw it while sending SIOs to buyers. 

At that time, I unchecked it, preferring to send my own offers when I wanted to do it. 

Subsequently, when sending more offers a couple of days later, I rechecked the "auto" box.

Again, a few days later, I decided I don't want to send automatic offers and just unchecked the box when I went to send an offer on a new item. 

AFAIK, unchecking on any "send offer" listing removes the automatic sending of offers. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 199 of 212
latest reply

I believe the "send automatic offers" will only happen on listings on which an offer was already sent to potential buyers and the automatic box is checked.

If a SIO offer has never been sent on an item, you have to first send the initial offer. Once that first offer is sent to potential buyers, new watchers of that listing will get the same offer. 

In order for the system to know the discount you want to offer in order to do the automatic offers, you have to first send an offer the first time. 

This is the reason why your offer-eligible listings are reduced. The system knows the discount you want on the listings on which you've already sent offers. 

Hope this makes sense.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 200 of 212
latest reply

One reason I dislike the automatic offers is that as soon as a watcher shows up, they will get that discount.  I would rather give them some time to consider just buying my item.  It's bad enough for buyers to be trained an offer may show up, but to get them that quickly really decreases my hope of just selling at my optimal price.

This may bite more sellers if they are the type that revise their listings to new items with different pricing.  I don't know if people do that much now, but it used to be kind of common to avoid being charged a new listing fee.   Old offers being automatically sent to new watchers on a new item may hurt.

Message 201 of 212
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

I believe the "send automatic offers" will only happen on listings on which an offer was already sent to potential buyers and the automatic box is checked.

If a SIO offer has never been sent on an item, you have to first send the initial offer. Once that first offer is sent to potential buyers, new watchers of that listing will get the same offer. 

In order for the system to know the discount you want to offer in order to do the automatic offers, you have to first send an offer the first time. 

This is the reason why your offer-eligible listings are reduced. The system knows the discount you want on the listings on which you've already sent offers. 

Correct. I tested this quite a bit and this is exactly how it works.

Message 202 of 212
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

One reason I dislike the automatic offers is that as soon as a watcher shows up, they will get that discount.  I would rather give them some time to consider just buying my item.  It's bad enough for buyers to be trained an offer may show up, but to get them that quickly really decreases my hope of just selling at my optimal price.

Also the fact that you can't do any kind of editing to the listing while it has outstanding offers, so each new casual watcher becomes another 48 hours you can't touch your own listing, rather than having whole groups of watchers that start and end at the same time.

This may bite more sellers if they are the type that revise their listings to new items with different pricing.  I don't know if people do that much now, but it used to be kind of common to avoid being charged a new listing fee.   Old offers being automatically sent to new watchers on a new item may hurt.

I've never heard of that happening (assuming you mean using the 'sell similar' feature, where you get an identical 'copy' of the first listing but then change whatever things pertain to this new, similar, item).  I use that a lot, and it generates a whole new item number, so it definitely should not pull any offer data from the original item.  I say "should" not but with how many issues the SIO feature is having right now, it wouldn't be a bad idea to make sure any such 'piggybacked' listings don't have the same offers as their parent piggies, lol.  

Message 203 of 212
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

I filtered mine as shown in that you-tube video earlier in the thread. First go to active listings, then "All Statuses", then on the drop-down arrow was the option "With options sending automatically".   Then I pulled up the listing and found an option to edit offers where I could turn off automatic offers.   I don't have any right now to get the exact wording/location and don't remember exactly, since this wasn't a common thing for me to do.  It wasn't too hard, though, or I wouldn't have found it on the listing.   There may be a bulk edit, but I didn't have enough of them to revise to look into that.

Thank you, this is definitely faster than checking every single listing one-by-one.  And it appears I have none on 'auto-send' as of right now, that's a relief. 

Message 204 of 212
latest reply

elizabeth@ebay 

Hi Elizabeth,

I wasn't sure if you would receive the email I sent to askcommunity@ebay.com

Please look for it at your earliest convenience as it is somewhat time sensitive.

Thanks

Robots-r-us

Message 205 of 212
latest reply

The message received from elizabeth@ebay  said her team looked into the transaction and provided their findings.  She said ‘they confirmed the following’, and I quote:

• SIO created : 8/2/2023 13:41 PST
  • SIO email sent to 1 Buyer : : 8/2/2023 13:41 PST
  • Buyer who got SIO : fisherscpa
  • SIO accepted : 8/4/2023 11:44 PST

I challenged her team’s statement on the grounds that this text, which could have been copied from the forum, proves nothing.  I said we needed to see log excerpts. She later came back with ‘after a second review, it is not an eBay error.’ 

Here is a thought, shouldn’t more advanced features be left to advanced users?  Perhaps there should be an Ebay Lite; without the fancy reports, automated this and that, and without promotional listings that drive eBay revenue exponentially.   

Since I last reported here, a new development has surfaced from my end.  I discovered that I was on surveillance video while mowing the lawn, 45 minutes prior and until 15 minutes after, the offer was created and sent to the buyer at 2-Aug, 13:41 PDT.  I had my phone in my pocket, as usual, and I am confident that I did not butt-dial an offer to the buyer based on what has been related here.  With this new intel, I would like to escalate this further in eBay, far beyond what Elizabeth’s team provided.  

• Has anyone gone above and beyond?
  • Does anyone have any thoughts on where/how to proceed?
  • Does anyone think I can succeed?     

elizabeth@ebay   Post #79 mentions a new roll-out to SIO’s.   Can you elaborate on what this may be?

Message 206 of 212
latest reply

Awww man, KUDOS for going full CSI and finding that video. Is it from a neighbor's Ring or something? 
 Only I wish you had found it BEFORE getting 2 rounds of review, lol.  I don't know how to re-escalate something like this.  Maybe someone else will, but I have a strong suspicion nobody will encourage it.  And Maybe rightly so, because I do know that they are not willing to consider "packing" videos that some sellers believe will protect them from scam buyer returns.   

The only thing I can think of is contact Ebay For Business on Facebook (do you know about that option already?).  If you do that, don't say you've already tried to get resolution here, just treat it like a brand new inquiry, and be sure to mention that you have timestamped video evidence that shows you outside mowing your lawn the exact minute the offer was sent, so you couldn't have done it.  I still think it's a long shot and I'm not necessarily nudging you to do it. 

Message 207 of 212
latest reply

@robots-r-us wrote:
  • Has anyone gone above and beyond?
  • Does anyone have any thoughts on where/how to proceed?
  • Does anyone think I can succeed?     

Not with eBay but I have gone above and beyond several times with other companies.  Each decision I challenged was overturned and decided in my favor.  I would not have gone above and beyond unless I was reasonable confident I could demonstrate the wrong decision had been made.  In other words I had what I viewed a proof of what I claimed and it needed to be presented to a competent authority to revise or correct the situation.

With you situation it does not seem that you are able to demonstrate it was a eBay glitch.  I am not sure what you can use to take you issue any further.  eBay and yourself are both saying it wasn't me.

Computes sometimes does unexpected things and if the process can not be duplicated then it is near impossible to explain or stop it from happening again.

Message 208 of 212
latest reply

I discovered that I was on surveillance video while mowing the lawn, 45 minutes prior and until 15 minutes after, the offer was created and sent to the buyer at 2-Aug, 13:41 PDT.  I had my phone in my pocket, as usual, and I am confident that I did not butt-dial an offer to the buyer based on what has been related here.

eBay will probably use this against you stating that your computer inside was unguarded and someone was creating the offer, unknown to you. 🙂

Hope everything works out for you, but I have a gut feeling.... 

Message 209 of 212
latest reply

So sellers who don't use "make an offer" wouldn't have to worry about this?
Because I sure as heck can't afford to let 500 dollar items go for 60 bucks.
Let's put it a different way: How many sellers on this board are offering an 88% discount.
On anything?
My guess would be ZERO.
So eBay's poorly constructed "tools" allow it? All the way up to 100%? Or does it stop at 99%?
Either way it's bad news for Ebay's occasional and new sellers. If most of us didn't know about this, what chance do they have?
Whether it's their fault or not, it will only take one or two of these losses and they'll walk away forever.
Can't blame them.

Message 210 of 212
latest reply