cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect price deposited after sale

The item sold on ebay for $550, without "Make an Offer", but the deposited amount at payout was $68.00.  I contacted support and they said I offered an 88% discount, which i did not do, and there is no record of any such offer.  

Has anyone else had an issue like this?

Message 1 of 212
latest reply
211 REPLIES 211

Please post screenshots of the entire breakdown of the transaction and what was deposited so we can further assist you in what may have went wrong.

Unless you promoted at 88%, had an 88% off coupon or sent an offer of 88% off then this wouldn't have happened. I highly doubt that this is a glitch and eBay somehow missed 88% of your payout for said item sold.

1 out of the 3 things I mentioned most likely happened OR shipping was extremely expensive.

Message 2 of 212
latest reply

@robots-r-us,

Unfortunately, the publicly-available information says that you did sell that item for that amount.

Since it doesn't show that it sold to a Best Offer in the search results, the evidence says that there was an offer sent from your account, and the purchase history confirms that there was an offer that was accepted:

https://www.ebay.com/bin/purchaseHistory?item=155651388839

lacemaker3_0-1691354435246.png

and, Terapeak confirms that the sale price was $68.00:

https://www.ebay.com/sh/research?marketplace=ALL&keywords=%22+Generac+GP5500+Portable+Power+Generato...

lacemaker3_1-1691354514729.png

That seems like a very unlikely scenario, for a seller to send an offer for such a low price ... for such a high-priced item ...

if you are positive that nobody with access to your account, your laptop, your phone, or any other device that you have used to access eBay could have sent it, then I would suggest that you cancel the sale. I would use the reason "problem with the buyer's address", since I suspect that the buyer is a hacker who has hacked the eBay checkout page to make this happen. Then, report the buyer for trying to defraud you.

I have seen this happen only a few times, a year or more ago, and I thought that eBay had removed the vulnerability after it was brought to their attention. Those cases were a bit different; the buyers had figured out (from a YouTube video, most likely) how to hack the checkout page so that on the seller's end, it would show that the item was paid for when the buyers had not paid anything, and the "payment" was not shown on the seller's account. The YouTube video (now removed) was about how to "get eBay items for free", in other words, how to steal them.

devon@ebay, tyler@ebay, please investigate this transaction and report it to the correct team so they can shut this down. And, please flag this seller's account so that they will not receive a defect or negative impact from this.

Message 3 of 212
latest reply

Perhaps you meant to enter a $$$ discount offer & accidentally chose the PERCENTAGE option.  Happens ALL the time.  Unfortunately, it's happened to me several times.  It's a super easy to do, user error. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 4 of 212
latest reply

Thank you to all of those who replied.

1.   I have verified that no known user has used any of my equipment; phone, laptop, PC, tablet, etc.

2.  If I, or someone, sent an offer, wouldn't there be a record of it in my messages?  There is no such message.

3.  The Purchase History indicates a userID as e*****i.  That is no one I know and not the buyer's ID.

robotsrus_0-1691362897249.png

4. I am unable to cancel the order since it was picked up yesterday.

Lastly, why WOULD anyone offer an 88% discount on an expensive item that had only been listed a few weeks?

Perhaps your contacts inside ebay can look into this further and identify the person behind User ID  e*****i. This person may have some helpful information.

Thanks again to those who replied.  

Message 5 of 212
latest reply

@robots-r-us   Nope, there is NO message when you Send Offers.  It is simply in your SH under Send Offers-Sent, but it goes away when the item is purchased.  

<<Lastly, why WOULD anyone offer an 88% discount on an expensive item that had only been listed a few weeks? >>

As I said above b/c they meant to offer an $88 discount & accidentally either chose the percentage, rather than the $$ amount or didn't realize it was set at percentage.  Happens ALL the time.  

Buyer ID's are scrambled, that's not the actual ID.  Though you as the seller ought to be able to see the actual ID. 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 6 of 212
latest reply

@robots-r-us  BTW, using round numbers that you provided, $550 - 88% = $66.   What I told you happened in both post 4 & 6 is EXACTLY what happened!  I knew it anyway, but once I did the math, it's almost exactly the right amount.  Assuming you were using round numbers for you post, that is CLEARLY what happened. 

You have to be really careful with that screen.  I've done it myself several times & so have many other sellers.  For me, I make sure I NEVER change it to percentage, to alleviate this from happening & I always double check. 

Had you not allowed them to pick it up, you could have canceled.  You would have rec'd a Defect, but given the high $$ amount, you may have deemed it worth it.  Since the item is gone, there's nothing you can do. 

@lacemaker3  Nobody hacked anything, OP accidentally used percentage instead of $$ amount, it happens all the time.  

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 7 of 212
latest reply

Dear Simply-the-best-for-you.  

I have never made an offer to sell something on eBay.  As such I could not have fat-fingered the percentage/dollars on that screen wherever it is. Also, there was no offer made by the buyer.  

In fact, I had forgotten about the item because other things going on, until I got a notice it was sold. I see what you are saying, but it couldn’t have  happen on this sale.  

thanks. 

Message 8 of 212
latest reply

The Purchase History SHOWS that you sent an offer & it was Accepted.  The numbers add up exactly to an offer being sent for the percentage rather than the $$ amount.  Perhaps you don't remember sending offers?  IDK what to say, this seems like a pretty cut & dried case. 

It's clear there was no offer made by the buyer.  This was clearly a seller initiated offer.  

If you are 100% certain that you never sent an offer, then I guess you'll have to contact Ebay, as that appears to be exactly what happened, based on the History.  

So just out of curiousity, if you're certain you never sent it & you didn't want to sell a $550 item for  $68, why did you allow the buyer to come pick it up? 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 9 of 212
latest reply

Hey OP, just came across this thread...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/New-In-App-Offer-is-HORIBLE-PLEASE-CONSIDER-REVERTING/m-p/3391...

maybe you did it on the app?  In my replies above I was referring to the website screen, where it's super easy to make the mistake I described.  I have no idea how it works in the app, though here's someone not happy wiht it b/c they had to do a percentage.  Could this be what happened to you?  

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 10 of 212
latest reply

Why would you let someone pick up a $550 item first $68 if you didn't want to? That makes no sense 

Message 11 of 212
latest reply

Just guessing here, but he probably means it was picked up by USPS (scheduled pick up).
As for the sale amount, it's kind of hard to tell from his post but it sounds like it originally said it sold for $550, but that changed after he shipped it, making it look like he had sold it through a (very steep) seller initiated offer, which he never did.   

Message 12 of 212
latest reply

@gurlcat wrote:

Just guessing here, but he probably means it was picked up by USPS (scheduled pick up).
As for the sale amount, it's kind of hard to tell from his post but it sounds like it originally said it sold for $550, but that changed after he shipped it, making it look like he had sold it through a (very steep) seller initiated offer, which he never did.   

It was a piece of equipment that was way too heavy to be sent USPS that is why it was local pickup.  

Message 13 of 212
latest reply

@robots-r-us wrote:

In fact, I had forgotten about the item because other things going on, until I got a notice it was sold. I see what you are saying, but it couldn’t have  happen on this sale.  

Very important. WHEN you got that notice saying it was sold, did it actually SAY "Sold for $550." ?  What we're struggling to understand is why you let the item leave your possession if it only sold for $68.  If you can't remember seeing a dollar amount in the notification, that's fine, just trying to understand if you are claiming that it actually CHANGED at some point between the date of the sale to the date of your bank deposit.  

Message 14 of 212
latest reply

@stephenmorgan wrote:

@gurlcat wrote:

It was a piece of equipment that was way too heavy to be sent USPS that is why it was local pickup.  

@stephenmorgan wrote:

@gurlcat wrote:

Thank you for clarifying.  

Message 15 of 212
latest reply