cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I will not comply with eBay Item specifics. You won't de-list us all.

Forcing item specifics on sellers has failed. I am not updating mine. If sellers commit to this then eBay will have to de-list all their listings. And, they will not do that. These changes are incompetent at best and nefarious at worst. Ebay if you want changes:

1. ASK US FIRST

2. TEST THE CHANGES because right now they are broken, you donkeys.

Sellers work together! Do not just do what eBay "forces" you to do. We have a say and a power to ensure eBay is designed how we want it to be.

Do not comply with their heavy hand. They need to justify to us why these changes are good for our business. They need to ask us if it would help us. They need to test their updates to make sure the updates are at a minimum not broken.

Do not comply with eBay on this!

Message 1 of 78
latest reply
77 REPLIES 77

My issue with it, so far, is that it forces Sellers to lie. Example, Required material, Gold or Silver? It's made of Plastic but when you type that in, it disappears and you are forced to put either Gold or Silver, even though it neither. At least before, you could leave the obviously wrong choices blank.

Message 2 of 78
latest reply

The new thing today? As soon as I sell an item that I already updated 3 times because the fields are deleting themselves, the listing for that item appears in the "Item Specifics Required Soon" area again. But if I try to add anything else to it (just to make it GO AWAY), it says I have TOO MANY item specifics. 

It's been almost a week, I can't believe eBay isn't even acknowledging this madness.

Message 3 of 78
latest reply

Agree, the more sellers refuse to do this and the more sellers drop ebay and they lose more money.  Their stock is already dropping.  I'm with you, I will NOT update 20,000 items manually, one at a time.  DK 

Message 4 of 78
latest reply

@og-s.cards wrote:

We have a say and a power to ensure eBay is designed how we want it to be.

I haven't seen that work yet?

Ebay is designed how Ebay wants it.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 78
latest reply

If you think a "strike" is going to work........it's not.  Understand that this isn't the first rodeo on the IS.......Clothing people went thru it last year, electronic earlier, I think........    But also understand that it is only the "required" IS that are necessary.....all the recommended/other is your choice.  So far I've only had 2 IS, at the most, "required" only any listing and most are just one. 

Message 6 of 78
latest reply

That makes seven million US sellers out of the 25 million eBay sellers around the globe. The second largest group of eBay sellers lies across the Atlantic in the UK, where 25 percent of all eBay sellers are.

=======================================================

^^^^From Google - Jan 2021

@og-s.cards  ~ it is a great idea.  But with approx 7 million US sellers, how many Sellers allowing their listings to go dark would it take to get e-Bay's attention?  (I have no idea....rhetorical question...I honestly have no idea how many read or post on the boards)

I have always thought of e-bay Sellers as a line that leads to the edge of a cliff.  Some Sellers jump off, some get pushed off the cliff, some just keep walking thinking the guy ahead of him knows where he's going/what he's doing and end up down the cliff,  and then some, just get out of line at some point when they've had enough and go home.

For each one that jumps, gets pushed, falls or gives up, I figure there are 2-3/for ea that already joined the line.    

I am all for getting e-Bay's attention on this issue.  But I am ruled by my balance sheet, inventory costs that I need to recover in 24 months or less and a Christmas in July sale that I kinda need to "work". 

If you will tell me where you are in the selling line, I will bring you some cold refreshment and cheer from the sidelines.  Unfortunately my bank account says I have to go revise more of these 800+ listings.  

Good luck!!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 7 of 78
latest reply

@og-s.cards 

Problem for you is that the vast majority of sellers don’t come to this board.  Further, most that see your message will comply with the eBay requirements.  

No, eBay doesn’t have to justify why a change is good for sellers.  First, changes have to be good for eBay, not every individual seller.  Second, the doom & gloom squad hates anything new, regardless of the potential benefits.

At the end of the day, eBay needs to get rid of some sellers - they want to keep the ones that support a better buying experience.  A better buying experience is supported by better item specifics.  

Not that I’m not unsympathetic to the issues.  You have a huge number of items listed - a monster undertaking to update.  I just added item specifics to around 100 listings - a bit of a pain, and a mere reaction of what you are being faced with.

Message 8 of 78
latest reply

There is a nice Video and Instructions on how to add Item Specifics with time lines.  They make it seem so easy.  Is this not true?  I only had to add Brand to mine and that was last August.  Was not too big of a issue.

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/listing-and-marketing/item-specifics.html

Message 9 of 78
latest reply

@stephenmorgan  - thanks for the link.  Gonna see if it can work.  This would be pre-Spring Seller roll-out/Seller Hub updates, right?  All functionalities are likely still there.....just called something else or hidden, etc  lol

Thanks.  Worth trying!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 10 of 78
latest reply

@og-s.cards wrote:

Forcing item specifics on sellers has failed. I am not updating mine. If sellers commit to this then eBay will have to de-list all their listings. And, they will not do that. These changes are incompetent at best and nefarious at worst. Ebay if you want changes:

1. ASK US FIRST

2. TEST THE CHANGES because right now they are broken, you donkeys.

Sellers work together! Do not just do what eBay "forces" you to do. We have a say and a power to ensure eBay is designed how we want it to be.

Do not comply with their heavy hand. They need to justify to us why these changes are good for our business. They need to ask us if it would help us. They need to test their updates to make sure the updates are at a minimum not broken.

Do not comply with eBay on this!

That's fine.  If eBay blocks your listing because the IS's are not filled out, that could be a problem, though.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 11 of 78
latest reply

@og-s.cards wrote:

Forcing item specifics on sellers has failed. I am not updating mine. If sellers commit to this then eBay will have to de-list all their listings. And, they will not do that.

Yes, they really will.

Message 12 of 78
latest reply

You must be an ebay shill. My husband has to spend 96 hours to update the required listings. How does that profit the seller?

Message 13 of 78
latest reply

EBay in my opinion is currently a mess, requiring either toleration or separation

Message 14 of 78
latest reply

Ebay has many issues to numerous to mention!  It is no longer fun for me to list, sell ,etc.!  I definately could use the little extra cash but the effort we as sellers have to put forth to get it isnt worth the hassle!  Ebay keeps trying to reinvent the wheel !They have failed in their design!  3 major changes in last few weeks not to mention Managed Payments last fall! I have learned to adapt but im done for now!  Im a small fish in the pond  but there is alot of us!  A flood starts with just a few drops of water at first!  I would like to thank the reps at ebay on the front line that have to dodge all the flax and a thank you to my loyal customers! Its been a great  20 plus year ride!

Message 15 of 78
latest reply