cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shill bidding

Ive been watching auctions for iPhone 8 the last month. Its obvious certain sellers are getting their friends to bid and up the price of their item. I see a phone sells with a number of bidders, but a week or less later the same seller has the same phone up again. When I ask them how come its up again for auction as it sold already I get either no reply or that the high bidder didn't pay. These sellers must think all buyers are fools.  They just get too greedy and their friends bid once too many times. Ebay doesnt give a rats **bleep** about this practise because they make more money the more an item sells for. Im ready to give ebay away because the practise is out of control. Another rort is if a sellers item isn't to going to reach what they think it should go for they cancel the auction. 

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

shill bidding

@nosfaratu wrote:

Ive been watching auctions for iPhone 8 the last month.

Phones!!!!!

Most of those are fake sales from fake buyer placing fake bids and promising fake payments.

The Category is rampant with scammers preying on the gullible. If it was reported that 50% (especially the auction ones) of those sales were by scam buyers I would think....."is that all?"

No doubt there are some less than ethical inexperienced sellers in there as well but I don't think that's the majority.

Message 2 of 46
latest reply

shill bidding

@nosfaratu wrote:

Ive been watching auctions for iPhone 8 the last month. Its obvious certain sellers are getting their friends to bid and up the price of their item. I see a phone sells with a number of bidders, but a week or less later the same seller has the same phone up again. When I ask them how come its up again for auction as it sold already I get either no reply or that the high bidder didn't pay. These sellers must think all buyers are fools.  They just get too greedy and their friends bid once too many times. Ebay doesnt give a rats **bleep** about this practise because they make more money the more an item sells for. Im ready to give ebay away because the practise is out of control. Another rort is if a sellers item isn't to going to reach what they think it should go for they cancel the auction. 

I'm sure people do that in certain circumstances, but if it's really just their friends their friends and even the seller assume some risk that doesn't make it very worthwhile. Overall, Apple iPhones have high resale value for whatever reason - the average price has nothing to do with any fake bids. Millions of those phones are being sold.

Message 3 of 46
latest reply

shill bidding

@nosfaratu 

If you are seeing patterns with a specific Seller you can report them to e-Bay.

You can also reach out to e-Bay CS on social media and share your information (detailed, not just you think they are shill bidding) and they will relay to T&S.

https://facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 4 of 46
latest reply

shill bidding

Contact ebay customer service? Now thats a contradiction of terms if ive heard one. 

Message 5 of 46
latest reply

shill bidding

Buy from experienced sellers (NOT 0-feedback) with fixed price listings. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 6 of 46
latest reply

shill bidding

@nosfaratu @katzrul15 @espresso_warehouse @slippinjimmy 

I have a account where I sell iphones and let me tell you, there is NO shill bidding going on with e or any of my other phone selling friends.

Buyers have been canceling on us like crazy, almost 50% cancel on me it is madeding.

For some reason in the last year (or since covid hit) people have started not paying less and less.

They bid up, cancel and I have to relist it goes on and on and on.

And eBay does care about shill bidding, because I have a friend (who shill bid) and told me that eBay new their IP address and gave them a warning.  (this is according to him bcz I have no idea if it was true)

I just wanted to let you guys know that selling phones is one of THE hardest items to sell, you deal with scammers, no payers and you have problems like buyer XXXXXX form nigeria coming to visit for his first time on eBay.

I really hope that answered your question.

Leave It To Me
Message 7 of 46
latest reply

shill bidding

P.s. 

Sorry for my errors im tired and its 2 am here

Leave It To Me
Message 8 of 46
latest reply

shill bidding

@casuallyattractive wrote:

@nosfaratu @katzrul15 @espresso_warehouse @slippinjimmy 

I have a account where I sell iphones and let me tell you, there is NO shill bidding going on with e or any of my other phone selling friends.

Buyers have been canceling on us like crazy, almost 50% cancel on me it is madeding.

For some reason in the last year (or since covid hit) people have started not paying less and less.

They bid up, cancel and I have to relist it goes on and on and on.

And eBay does care about shill bidding, because I have a friend (who shill bid) and told me that eBay new their IP address and gave them a warning.  (this is according to him bcz I have no idea if it was true)

I just wanted to let you guys know that selling phones is one of THE hardest items to sell, you deal with scammers, no payers and you have problems like buyer XXXXXX form nigeria coming to visit for his first time on eBay.

I really hope that answered your question.

Shill bidding on iPhones would seem pointless. Plenty for sale just go bid on a different one if you get outbid. They get mad about it?

Message 9 of 46
latest reply

shill bidding

@espresso_warehouse 

I dont know.....

Leave It To Me
Message 10 of 46
latest reply

shill bidding

Thanks for confirming from an actual phone seller.

I get the impression people bid on dozen phones and when/if they snag a really good deal they pay for that one, the rest they just ignore or ask to cancel. If they start getting blocked for non-payment strikes they just open a new account (all you need is a made up name and a throwaway email address).

Message 11 of 46
latest reply

shill bidding

Probably, I hope with the new pay immediately with offers they make you pay on auctions to.

Leave It To Me
Message 12 of 46
latest reply

shill bidding

@slippinjimmy wrote:

Thanks for confirming from an actual phone seller.

I get the impression people bid on dozen phones and when/if they snag a really good deal they pay for that one, the rest they just ignore or ask to cancel. If they start getting blocked for non-payment strikes they just open a new account (all you need is a made up name and a throwaway email address).

Just one more reason to BIN and RIP.

Message 13 of 46
latest reply

shill bidding

Yeah, check out my friend @phonesfortheworld He sells phones and he gets tons of sales, I don't know how many cancels each day but its probably a fari amount.

Leave It To Me
Message 14 of 46
latest reply

shill bidding

Appreciate the shout out!  @casuallyattractive 

Message 15 of 46
latest reply